1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Best Bass Lines You've NEVER Heard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, May 29, 2013.

1. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Post some of the bass lines you think your fellow TB'ers probably haven't heard, but should.

I'll lead off with "Get On The Boat" by Prince. Bass line by Josh Dunham. It's a killer line!!

http://youtu.be/v3GCI6nAkmQ

2. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

I've got a couple.

"Queen Of Misery" by Toy Matinee. It's Guy Pratt kicking this one in the teeth.

OK... And the there's this... Just insane that anyone can do this with one thumb!!!!! Mark King RULES!!!!!! :bassist:

3. NightCat

NightCat

I honestly wonder if anyone clicks on these links. I have posted links on more than one thread and ..... crickets. Leaves me to wonder if my musical taste is really boring or what I've posted is only new to me.
    This is a bass line that has really influenced my playing. Fairly straight forward but a heavy groove that evolves and moves throughout the song.
    Terry Callier - Your gonna miss your Candyman http://youtu.be/_ZS4UxsE66U

OK, I know this has to be well known but this gets me going better than coffee in the morning.
    Budgie - Breadfan (live in the studio) http://youtu.be/54H3EUAzpVg (who knew Geddy Lee had a sister who also played bass...)

~NC

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NightCat

NightCat

7. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Mick Karn was a great player for sure!

8. NightCat

NightCat

Jean Luc is gettin' old. Guess that means I'm getting old. Killer bass. I would have sworn that was a fretless...

9. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Since we're going back to the 80's.... How about this! Leigh Gorman could really bring it!

10. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Tony Scalzo of Fastball on Fastball's song Human Torch from Make your Mama proud.

To be honest Tony Scalzo, is one of my favourite bass players, singers and songwriters and Fastball is one of my favourite bands ever. I am so emotionally attached to some of their music that I would cry tears of joy if I ever see them play live.

11. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I'll have to think about it, but this is a GREAT topic.

12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

it's okay, I've learned to embrace it. It looked like an ESP and sounds like flats, the player is flat out good.

13. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Jason Black totally drives this song. Definitely one of my favorite punk bassists.

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Paul Chambers - So What

Gustav Mahler - Symphony No.1, Movement 3

15. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
  16. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

One more.

"Healing Waters" from Mr Mister.

Too many people overlook the talented Richard Page on bass. Yes, his voice is golden! But he's a pretty damned good bass player too!

A song doesn't need a billion notes played in twenty seconds to be effective! Sometimes a musically weaving bass line can knock your socks off!

17. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

That's a great track (with a great bass line). Here are a few that come to mind:

Khaled - "Trigue Lycee" (Gain Ann Dorsey on bass):

18. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

"Nice 'N Sleazy" by the Stranglers

19. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

Media:
    Wow, and I always thought that was Kevin Gilbert playing bass. I still learn something every day!

20. Sandwich Man

Sandwich Man

I can see the musicality of the Terry Callier, but it's just not my cup of tea. Not really rhythmic enough to dance to. However, that Breadfan song is phenomenal, never heard it before. Definitely danceable. :bassist:

21. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

KG was an excellent all around musician. He didn't play bass on TM, but played some on his solo albums, and even played bass on a couple of the song on Sheryl Crow's first album.