1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

the best bass overdrive/distorsion?!!-darkglass electronics b3k

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by boro, Aug 17, 2011.

1. boro

boro

hi all
    after a long time of search i have finnaly found what was i lookin for... a BASS OVERDRIVE/DISTORSION that actually fits my demands..its a
    DARKGLASS ELECTRONICS B3K pedal

EASE OF USE:within minuts i could dial up any sound i wanted..for a perfection?!no more than 1 hour...sooo pretty easy...

SOUND:i played thru ampeg svt-2 pro and a pr 410-hlf cab..+ custom p bass(seymore duncan spb-3 pup) and a fender jazz bass 78'... its a pretty badass... you want jack bruce,jason newsted,duff mckagan,rob trujillo...you name it...its a custom built... it cuts thru the mix perfectly,what i really like is that this thing has character.. you hit it harder it goes out harder...with a blend knob you can dial in how much clean signal you want,very useful feature!!! :D THIS THING DOES NOT EAT BOTTOM END..
    im not a tech guy so i wont bother with that.. i hear it.. i play it.. i want it... no description included(you can check it at darkglass electronics)adapter is mandatory,you cant run this pedal on batterys(ecological reasons)
    from a mild overdrive to... you want to wake up beast you always feard of?? :D

CUSTOMER SERVICE:AMAZING!! Douglas Castro is a great guy..no problem at all... response to my questions came pretty fast...

OVERALL:if stolen i would get another..its a 220 euros pedal but its worth it...

THE BEST THING ABOUT IT IS THAT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU CAN RETURN IT AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!! FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYS...

let me hear your thouts guys...

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

3. Venom of God

Venom of God

I've heard of Darkglass, they look interesting but I haven't had my Pork Loin that long and can't justify another OD just yet. Plus I'm doing my best to hold off GAS on an Agro still..

4. cnltb

cnltb

Is there a website and links to what this pedal sounds like etc?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Thanks Boro for your words, I'm glad to hear you are happy with your Microtubes B3K!

Thanks for your interest mate! This is our website.
    Also, Will Davies made a pretty nice video sample posted here.

Thanks everyone for your comments and Boro for his kind words!

Regards

Doug.

7. cnltb

cnltb

Thanks very much!
    I'll have a look see.
    It's certainly tempting. :)

8. Venom of God

Venom of God

Was it Darkglass that did that sweet pedal build video a little while back? That must be where I heard the name (if it is).

9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

Yes they did that video. If I didn't just get a super deal on an Iron Ether QF2, I would have a B3K by now. So now I will wait, and get a B7K in a couple of months from now.

10. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I've been following your work for quite a while (since your stuff on DIYSB's). I used to tinker with CMOS but after hearing your MK3 I gave up. It's not gonna get any better.

Also, I thought you lived in Chile?

11. alec

alec

12. Darkglass

Disclosures:
    Yes! I'm originally from Chile, but moved to Finland couple years ago! Well, the notreble interview is pretty detailed, if you have any other questions about electronics :) or me) I'd be more than glad to answer them to you!

Regards.

Doug

13. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Hi, I just checked out a bunch of videos and I AM IMPRESSED!

Is there a way you could modify/rebuild the B3K horizontally? Kinda like a Zvex Wooly Mammoth with the 9v, in- and output on the small sides.... My pedalboard is tight, so that't the only way I could fit anything on it.

14. cnltb

cnltb

After having seen the demo, I quite want one of these.
    Can't afford it tho since another pedal's first.

But I also think that it is too expensive.
    I still want it, but am also looking at the silver stone from musiciansounddesign.de which is a great sounding OD and extremely well made too at a much lower price(if I remember correctly).
    How about losing that fancy box, packaging it a little less looky and reducing the price somewhat...

I may have to get both...eventually.
    Very nice indeed,and VERY tempting!! :)

15. Darkglass

Disclosures:
    Thanks for your words!

Unfortunately, the circuit is super big for a pedal this size. Check out the building method (here), and you'll realize that there's no room for adding or modifying much since everything is tightly mounted into the chassis!

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers -Doug.

16. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Damn, that is one tight enclosure! What are the dimensions? Maybe I can fit in if I use flat patchcables...

17. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

Man, this pedal is NOT overpriced! The amount of parts in this pedal (70 something, I believe), time to build, Copious amounts of Research and Development. Everything made with top-notch components (have you priced GOOD electronics components lately). You get what you pay for..

18. cnltb

cnltb

I think that's a matter of opinion and depends at one level on personal circumstances.
    That is the level on which I made the statement.
    I did not say anything about cost of parts and reasonable margins-can't and won't argue on this level simply because I know nothing about the parts used and their prices.
    Also,I know nothing about hourly wages in finland and shipping costs from there to wherever the pedal is shipped to( the free shipping is a VERY nice touch by the way!).

I merely compared kind to kind( one very nice pedal with another very nice pedal).
    I also said that I'd very much like one of these. :)

19. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

I get what you are saying, it is expensive. It is just that there was a thread recently about the same thing, Why are effects so expensive, something along those lines. Large companies can definately make good stuff cheaper. Small pedal builders can fill niches at a higher price. I also think some smaller builders ARE overpriced (Vzex, I guess you are paying for the paint job). This pedal seems to be the real deal. I think nice things cost more, and therefore should last longer and look nicer. That is where I was coming from, and I did see the nice stuff you said as well:smug:.

I must admit when I opened this thread I thought it seemed kind of funny, almost Ad like. Either way, I still want this pedal:bassist:

20. cnltb

cnltb

I agree with you about larger companies being able to do things for less.
    That's why I chose a one man operation for the comparison I made.
    MMD is one guy too pretty much.
    As to the "skeptical" post above...I personally thing there's nothing wrong with a bit of marketing.
    Small companies that do good stuff deserve to get a mention now and then, and if they initiate it themselves on a forum such as this one...fair enough.:)
    Got to start somewhere me thinks.

21. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    This forum is already quite aware of the Darkglass pedals.