The best cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tiritos, Dec 3, 2013.

1. tiritos

tiritos

Hi!! Could you recommend me a
    good wire to conect the bass?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Lots of discussion on cables if you do a search. The short answer is:
    1. a cable with relatively low capacitance (most all quality cables meet this criteria)
    2. a cable with a solid warranty
    3. a cable with good connectors (i.e. Switchcraft, Neutrik, or G&H)
    4. Not Monster Cable
    5. a cable less than 20 feet if you play passive instruments. Any longer and the capacitance of the cable will start to affect high frequency response. This is not an issue with active instruments.

Your local music store should have a few choices that are reasonably priced. If not, here are some links to good cables:
    1. tour grade stuff (lifetime warranty): http://www.thedivinenoise.com/divine-noise-straight-cable.html
    2. industry standard Mogami: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mogami-gold-instrument-cable-angled-straight
    3. best value for money (lifetime warranty): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-instrument-cable
    4. best bargain cable (3 year warranty): http://audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/GBND/GBND_CABLE_SELECT.shtml

And as a final footnote: don't obsess too much over cables. Trust your ears, don't spend too much, and get back to playing.

Cheers

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I make my own Mogami cables with Neutrik plugs. Fifty bucks for a ten-footer is a little dear for the store-bought ones. Even buying the parts at retail, I can make that same cable for well under $20. The store-bought ones have the same lifetime warranty as Monster, so I'm going to say Mogami.

Bottom line, buy a reputable brand and you'll be OK. GC's Live Wire cables are halfway decent. ProCo's good too. I don't like the molded plugs on Planet Waves. You can't repair them (unless you cut the cable and install proper Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs).

4. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I swear to god I saw this thread a few days ago with the same exact post munjibunga posted here!

+1 on making your own. Not very hard at all, and if anything does go wrong, it's an easy fix.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The most expensive one you can afford.

7. Major Softie

Major Softie

+1 on avoiding molded connectors. With a repairable solderable connector, a good cable (if not abused) will last until the insulation starts to crack from age: many MANY years. You may have to do a little soldering a few times in that period, but that will cost you virtually nothing.

Along with them not being repairable, I've had poor luck with molded connectors failing way before (Switchcraft/Neutrik) repairable connections, and with molded, at first fail, they're junk.

8. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I have been playing planet waves circuit breakers for a long time now. I know a lot of guys not like them because their security ring is ripping their jacks out (not in my case). They make instrument changes really easy or I can just cut my signal off and stay quiet if need be.

Personally after 8 years of almost 100 gigs both indoors and outdoors in 5 different countries, my cables are just fine. I recently replaced my main instrument cable but it was only because I needed a longer one since I played a rather big stage.

I also use regular planet waves cables for all of my pedals and a regular non-circuit breaker cable between my amp and my pedals.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I mentioned my Bullum™ cables in the other thread.

10. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

As a general rule stiffer cables tend to have better shielding. They can also tend to have more capacitance.

More supple cables tend to have less shielding, but may have less capacitance.

My big selling point is the ends. If the manufacturer calls out which ends they use by name, it's gonna be a good cable.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The best cable is a wireless system.

Atomic Cow likes this.
  13. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Price is not a good indicator of cable quality.

nashvillebill likes this.
  14. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Interesting that you mention not a Monster cable. I have Monster cables exclusively. They seem very durable/great sound quality etc…but they just don’t un-roll and stay unrolled. They seem to want to coil back up and not lay flat. I take care of my cables and roll them up improperly. This happens to all of them and seems inherent in how they are made. Thinking bout getting rid of them to tell the truth. Anyone else have this same issue and/or recommend a high quality cable that does not have this issue?

Thanks in advance.
    -PM

15. cnltb

cnltb

On balance, I like the Vovox sonorus.
    I also like the Reqst cable I recently got.
    Sometimes I use an analysis plus pro oval studio or a vanden hul, the second or integration hybrid.

16. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I have a few Whirlwind cables that are at least 15 years old and still going strong.

17. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Well, there is your problem...

18. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Opps typo...meant I don't roll themup improperly.

19. drlndrve

drlndrve Supporting Member

Mogami--I don't make my own lunch much less my own cable.

pmad_bass likes this.
  20. richbassboy

richbassboy

My monster bass cable has yet to let me down in 8 years.

21. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

Can someone tell me why Monster Cables are thought to be a poor choice? Seems like a number of people think that they are not very good. Is there a real reason?