1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

the best deal ever?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Jan 9, 2014.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo Coffee Coffee Bassist Supporting Member

Well... Perhaps not, but it strikes me as too good to be true. A local seller is willing to part with an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, an Ampeg PR410HLF, a Korg rackmount tuner and a rack mount case for a mere $1,000. What do you guys think? Should I buy?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Eh... go play it. Personally I dig the amp, but the rack tuner isnt a selling point for me. The cab would have to be in crazy good condition, as I would have to sell it quickly.
  3. newyorkiddo

Well, my gear is pretty crummy, so this is a big deal for me. Haha. Everything seems to be in fine, working condition, but I suppose I'll go test it out soon. Thanks!
  4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

That's a solid price, but definitely check it out first. It's not a good price if it's flawed much. That era of Ampeg stuff was overpriced by retailers, so it may seem like a bigger discount than it really is on the second-hand market.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It is a good deal for all that stuff, assuming it all works and isn't beat to hell.

Definitely go play it. Some folks have a sort of love/hate thing with the HLF cabs. They can push a lot of low end. The tradeoff for being able to do that is lack of midrange, "dark" or not very "precise" sound. They'll do a great job of "floating the band from the bottom". Not really the weapon of choice if you want a more articulate midrange/more harmonic content in your tone. If you have a midrangey bass, it might make a good ying/yang sort of thing.
  6. newyorkiddo

Yeah I'll definitely check it out. Right now I'm more interested in the head as opposed to the cab. So I'm totally going to get it.
  7. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

I got pretty much the same deal (SVT4 Pro + SVT410HLF) a few years ago. I felt good about it after I sold the 410HLF for $450 soon after. THerefore my SVT4 pro cost me $550.....and have been using it heavily ever since.