The Best Guitarist that Nobody has ever Heard of....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

alright...first some parameters....by "nobody" i, obviously, don't mean that literally (i mean, if i did, how could you answer this question...:D)....

i just mean not well known at all...maybe they WERE well known, but have dropped off the radar in recent years, so later generations may not know them...that kind of thing

and i would prefer (although not require) that you limit your answers to the so-called popular genre....i know there are a bunch of classical and jazz guitarists who are only well known in their own circles

and by "best" i mean that you think are the most talented guitar players...not singers, not songwriters, but strictly on both the technical playing of guitar and how they made it sound.

let's limit it to electric guitar players, and your criteria can be anything you want, i am just curious.

I'll go first:

ROBERT FRIPP of King Crimson fame

ROY BUCHANAN, he of the ungodly good telecaster

[​IMG]
  2. Richland123

Richland123

Colin James
    Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I read an interview in guitar player magazine back in the 70s where Frank Marino stated he was hospitalized for something I don't remember, was given a guitar as a gift, picked it up and played it from that moment on as he played at the time of the interview. Said too that he had never heard Jimmy Hendrix before he ever picked up a guitar, also. Never really liked the dude after reading that. Maybe he was in the hospital for ODing on acid... which might explain it.

Maybe it's time I forgive him for that stupid interview, too. Headed to youtube to have a listen.
  4. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Danny Gatton was given that title many years ago.

Best Unknown Guitarist, or something like that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I always though Earnie C was a much underrated guitar player/musician.

In addition to playing for Body Count, he got STP and RAM signed and produced an Ozzy album along the way.

Not bad, considering he's entirely self taught.
  7. Richland123

Richland123

Phil Keaggy
    Lincoln Brewster
    Jon Butcher
  8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Tuck Andress
    Larry Coryell
    John Scofield
  9. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Hands down: Stan Lassiter

OK - he's not completely unknown, but he is completely unrecognized - I used to watch him and Roy Vogt (and my friend Mike Claiborne) play together...

Youtube search him and pass out. Yeah.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Played with this guy for several years and thought he was the greatest guitarist in the world... at that time anway...

A handful of people thought the same.

I don't consider this his best work, but I'm in the video so I'll post it. :) The guitar fun starts at around 1:07.

11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Jon Leon

Is a hell of a bass player for one of my favorite bands. They had studio time booked when their 2 guitards quit. So he did all the guitar parts on one of their albums, sounded amazing.
  12. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Several listed so far are not who I would classify as 'never heard' or slipped into obscurity.
    Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton? Well I guess being dead probably leads to being dropped from the radar a bit...but those guys are hugely regarded among guitarist.
    Robert Fripp, Larry Coryell? still very recognized in the guitar world.

But the most highly skilled, talented, and amazing guitarist I know of, and have the pleasure of knowing personally as well as occasionally playing live with , and who is a player most people are unfamiliar with Sam Swank. He's got some pretty high credentials but purposely keeps a low profile.
    Check him out on Youtube.
  13. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

I think Lincoln is pretty well known to anyone that listens to worship music. He is great for sure.
  14. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

You beat me to it! Ron is a fantastic guitar player. I was happy for him that he got the G'n'R gig so he could finally make some decent money.
  15. DblG

DblG

Frank Vignola
  16. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

Bill Barnett from St. Louis.
  17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

I think we are living in days where nearly every musician is "unknown" outside of the small percentage of the population that comprises other musicians. Any teenaged girl Disney Kid could put out an album of horrible singing tomorrow and outsell all the Steve Morse catalog combined,

But for the sake of argument, i think Guthrie Govan is the best relatively unknown at the moment.
  18. CnB77

CnB77

Bill Frisell
  19. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Unless your name is Jimi Hendrix. :)

Still #1 after all these years.
  20. Erend Krauser - who plays guitar with the German James Last Orchestra - who were popular in the 60s and 70s, and play middle of the road music that people 50+ like. Watch the video here and smile!

21. Shovelbone

Shovelbone

Jack Pearson