1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The best plan for a first time build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fusion man 85, Mar 1, 2014.

1. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Im going to be starting a new job soon with good pay and want to add to my growing collection of basses with my own custom build. What is the best route to take, get a carvin kit,fender parts one at a time mighty mite, etc. I was thinking of getting a squier and butching it up so what do you all think?

2. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Come no one has ideas about a first time build

3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Warmoth maybe? I'm personally planning to assemble a warmoth one of these days. Specifically a 5 string fretless jazz because fender has never produced one

4. Wagz

Wagz

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and want to focus on modding and finishing your bass, check out the Saga kits. Various styles in the $150-$250 range and they're decent value for the money.
    Or, if you just want to mod get an SX (search for Essex here on TB). Lots of neat basses in the $150-$400 price range that take modifications really well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I won't say "This is the only way to go!", but this story is relevant and worth mentioning should you decide to go this route.

I just recently finished a parts-bass build project. It took some time and patience, but I got it all together, put together what I could, then handed it off to my local Guitar Center tech (great guy! really knows his stuff!) for some modding, installations and set-up.

One way I kept my costs down was to order what I could from either GC or Musician's Friend when they were having their occasional accessories sales. 15% off goes a long way when getting a Mighty Mite body, a set of Hipshot tuners+bridge, strap pins and the strings of my choice. Then I grabbed the rest from various eBay stores and the TalkBass Classifieds (Jaguar neck, Blacktop Jazz pickguard, pickups, etc…).

Then, after installing what I felt comfortable putting together, I sent it down to the tech for routing it into a P/J configuration, installing the bridge+electronics and setting it up.

Ultimately, it not have been cheap, but the cost was spread across a handful of months and I got what I wanted; a P/J Jazz with the bells-and-whistles I wanted (Drop-D tuner, top-loading aluminum bridge, V-B-T circuitry, painted headstock & pearloid blocks), all wrapped up in a slick lookin' number that only weighs eight pounds!

P.S.: I know…I know! No pics…no bass! I'm gonna see if I can take some decent pics later today with my good camera and post them ASAP. Look for a thread titled "Projekt Blue II" (And yes, I know "project" is spelled with a "c". It's an obscure literary reference…sue me!)

7. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

After doing a little research cost wise im thinking if butcheing a squier jazz or getting a kit of some kind the price or a fender body and neck is the same a whole mid range bass almost

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

What are you trying to get? A Jazz bass with a Precision body? What mix of body, neck and color scheme are you trying to achieve? Someone might be able to point you in a particular direction OR keep you from wasting money on buying parts that ultimately won't fit together.

9. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Im looking to make my own custom jazz bass really. Im going with a green color scheme,maple neck and finger board possibly fretless and dimarzros most likely that where im at at the moment.

10. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

.forgot maybe just on pickup maybe havent really put much thought in to that really yet

11. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

I got the new job I start in a week the build shall be done by the end may ir early june.