The best rock tone; my tone!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MSGNoff, Apr 14, 2014.

1. MSGNoff

MSGNoff

IMHO of course. Not trolling or wanting to start a huge melt down here. Anyway, thanks to a couple TB’ers advice I’ve changed the way my signal is routed and have had stellar results. I now run 1 wet and 1 dry to the FOH then, via a blender, to my amp pushing a cabinet as a monitor. Like most bassists, I have dumped a ton of money into different basses and equipment in search of the perfect tone. Can’t say I wasted time because it’s always a learning experience, but after years of experimenting with cabinet & amp combinations I have found MY tone. No more settling!

I would say my tone is a cross between Geddy’s Hemispheres/A Farewell to Kings tone meets Paul D’Amour’s Undertow (especially Crawl Away) tone. :bassist:

If any of you are interested in an absolutely huge killer tone, here are the specifics;

RIC 4003 with tone pot in (not vintage) > Radical DI XLR balanced > FOH Channel 1 (dry)
    Radical DI THRU > Xotic X-Blender > Sansamp Paradriver in blender’s effects loop > Sansamps XLR balanced > FOH channel 2 (dirty). Also from the blender out to a Markbass SD800 amp > fEarful 12/6 cabinet as a monitor.

Obviously, the RIC has everything to do with the overall tone. The Sansamp can be swapped with your favorite dirt producing overdrive/fuzz pedal. The Markbass SD800 can also be swapped with any amp to include just a poweramp because it adds absolutely no color to the end result. I like the MB SD800 because the amp is very clean. The other key ingredient without question is the fEarful 12/6. Greenboy’s design cabs are extremely clean so you hear exactly what the FOH blend is. No color. Besides the RIC, this has made the biggest contribution to my rig. I cannot say enough about fEarfuls.

Just thought I’d share.

Additionally, I just acquired a Demeter HBP-1 and will more than likely run it before or in lieu of the Radical DI. The HBP-1 does not have a Jensen, so I’m worried about some FOH dude hitting the phantom power button on the board and killing the HBP-1. However, I understand there is a work around by utilizing the unbalanced out from the HPB-1 to the DI pedal. This will survive a 48v “kill” signal. The downside is having essentially 2 DI’s in the signal path.

2. JCM800

JCM800

Old SVT and Dietz 2x15.

Keep it out of my monitors. I can hear/feel it just fine :)

3. Alexander

Alexander

Yep - SVT and 810 or 215 will get you there

4. JCM800

JCM800

I'm also on the fence when it comes to DI for bass live.

I know FOH engineers prefer it, but I'd rather be mic'ed if need be.

You don't DI the guitar, you mic it cause that's where a lot of the tone comes from: the amp.

Plus I use some effects, Bass Drive for a touch of dirt and sustain when needed, Phase 90 cause it sounds awesome, and a wah because Rock n ****in roll!

And whenever I'm DI'd and they try to throw it into the monitors, it sounds quite ass-tacular.

Just glad the SVT don't have no direct out (well there is a preamp out but I don't say anything about it heh) so that leaves the option for a mic.

Thoughts on DI vs micing the rig?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  7. MSGNoff

MSGNoff

Did the SVT 810 gig and this is much, much better IMHO. Mic'ing the cab will work if you want the cab tone in the mix. That would be adding third signal chain for me. No thanks. I'm extremely happy with the results i'm getting now. Kinda funny mic'ing a Greenboy cab anyhow since they sound cleaner than most PA systems :D

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Make no mistake, the fEarful cabs are not without color. They have a definite tonal profile. It's one I happen to like, but saying they are without color is inaccurate. The variable tone profile gained by switching between the different crossover variants, or mid driver selection is evidence of this, even without looking at any graphs.