The Best Slap Bass On The Market

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Apr 7, 2014.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Hello TBs...

I know that it is wrong to say like what is the best suitable bass for the slap technique. I know that it is the style not the bass.

But I would like to purchase a bass guitar especially for the slap/pop technique not for the fingerstyle. That cripsy, hi-fi sound of the slap/pop just important for me I must add.

There are some of my favorites of brands like...

Sadowsky UV70 4-string Bass
    Status Graphite Paramatrix etc...

Would anyone add more to that list if I may ask please? Maybe I forgot some important brands here...

:bassist:
  2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I'd say the two really 'classic' sound comes from jazz basses and stingrays.
  3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I'd probably add the Music Man Sting Ray and Fender Marcus Miller Signature to your list.
    Although not as well known, the Carvin Sekou Bunch and Carvin B24 and B25 Brian Bromberg basses are great for that style.
  4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the OP needs the contrary of "classic" slap sound, the more modern hi-fi sound instead.

How about Alembic/GB guitar or Status Graphite like Mark King? :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

I forgot one brand to add actually...:

Kubicki Factor
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Fender Jazz bass is the best I've heard.
    Boston Horns live, bass player with a Jazz bass & Hartke
    4x10 XL cabs and a mean thumb.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Anything with single coil jazz pickups.
  9. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

single coils. or coil
    many stingrays have a slider switch to select ll, series, and single coil, which effectively gives you a more vintage slap (humbucker) and the more contemporary (single coil).

Other basses may have single/humbucker switchable pickups that allow you to select either a J sound or PJ or MM J type sound. These offer the most flexibility.

But if you want to cop the sound of, say Marcus Miller, 2 single coil pickups (J bass type) is how you do that.
  10. Zoa

Zoa

Stingray, Jazz or perhaps Modulus IMO.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Sadowsky is an excellent choice. The UV is a slightly modern take on the traditional J-bass slap tone. If you want a more modern slap tone, check out the Sadowsky 24 fret model.

I'd also recommend Nordstrand basses.

If you want a more modern super-crisp slap tone, look into Ken Smith and MTD.
  12. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I like the EBMM Sterling slap tone (ceramic magnets) better than the Stingray slap tone (alnico magnets). And I like the slap tone on either of those better than a J bass slap tone.
  13. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

Sadowsky is an excellent choice for this application.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

A Brubaker would be my first choice.
  15. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

When we talk about the Sadowsky UV 70, there are two options: single-coils and humcanceling PUs.

Some says that humcanceling PUs are better than single-coils for slap. Is there that much difference between those two PUs?
  16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1. Both single coils and hum cancelling sound great for slap in with a Sadowsky. Hell, the soapbars do to.

I don't think there is a BEST slap bass for everyone.

My 1972 Jazz with maple neck is a slap machine and so are my dual coil Duncan equipped Foderas. MTDs are great for slapping as are Stingrays, Modulus and many others IME.

Personal preference plays a big part in this for sure.
  17. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

I agree that a Sadowsky UV70 would be a great choice, I'm going to add Lakland's 4-94 or 55-94 to the mix---IMHO it has a very flexible preamp and great pickup configuration choices

JJ
    MM+J
    MM alone
  18. Jaco D

Jaco D

Pretty much this. Oh yeah, Seay: just looking at your avatar my knees start to buckle :atoz:
  19. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Depends on the slap sound you're looking for. From my personal experience, I will go against the grain and say that I hated my Sting Ray (maple fingerboard) and my Status for slap. On both those basses the low end would drop out when switching to slap to the point where I might as well have been playing a guitar. Having said that, each bass will sound a little different and it could be that I just had bad luck with both those basses (and that other Sting Rays and Statuses would work great for slap). I've loved the majority of MTD 535s I've owned for slap but the two with maple fingerboards did the same thing as the Sting Ray - the bottom end disappeared when switching from fingers to thumb. Love both my Sadowsky ash/rosewood and Lull M5V ash/maple (with Sadowsky preamp) for slap.
  20. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

The greatest sounding bass for slap IMO is a Kramer DMZ5000. Monster tone!
  21. styro

styro Supporting Member

My list would be:
    • Status Graphite: apparently you know about their unbeatable quality and tone
    • [... and now Status Graphite repeats about 5-7 times ...]
    • MTD Andrew Gouché Model (you find it on their price list http://www.mtdguitars.com/price-list/): distinctly different sound than the "ordinary" MTD basses and for sure a high end hifi monster! An incredible piece of art!