The Best Work Of Fiction You Ever Read.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

What is the best work of fiction you ever read in your entire life?

Sorry....realize it's a tough call so you get 5 choices......

2. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Lord of the Rings

3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    My American History textbook in HS.

4. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

House of Leaves

Too dry for me and the characters were one-dimensional. Huckleberry Finn was better. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Einherjar

Einherjar

That's such a difficult question to answer. Lol. Hmmm... I would say either "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton or "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick.

Edit: Or possibly "At the Mountains of Madness" by HP Lovecraft.

7. notey

notey

Y: The Last Man.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
  9. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

This is impossible for me. I've read hundreds of works of fiction.

For historical novels, the award has to go to James A. Michener. Loved The Covenant. But everything else too. Wish they'd release them as Audible books. Second place goes to John Jakes.

For fantasy serial novels Robert Jordan and Jordan/Sanderson Wheel of Time series. Second place goes to Brandon Sanderson Stormlight Archive.

Fantasy single book is Elantris by Sanderson.

Classic fiction goes to Charles Dickens.

The different genres I like don't easily lend themselves to one book better than everything else ever written.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

11. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

A few of my favorites already listed! I like Jose Saramago novels, if anyone wants to try something a bit different. Adams and Tolkien have been mentioned, and I'd add Kafka and Card. This is just off the top of my head. Far too many here. (English major here!)

12. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

1)Alas Babylon by Pat Frank about the cold war in the 1950's turning HOT

2)Grapes of Wrath by John Stienbeck about the migrant farmers in California during the Depression

3)Christ in Concrete by Pietro Di Denato about Italian immigrant construction workers

4) The Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman about a boy growing up in a military school in Russia after his parents die.

5) Enchantment by Orson Scott Card about a Ukrain born American grad student who time travels to ninth century Russia.

13. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Haven't read much in the last few years, but my fav 5 that come to mind are;

The City and the Stars by Arthur c clarke
    The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
    Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
    Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I know, it's five books by itself, sue me!)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

Also have to mention Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse House 5. it may not be my personal fav, but it is one of the most well crafted novels I've ever read. I've also found Salman Rushdie's wrtting to be extremely impressive. That guy doesn't waste a word

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I was thinking of that one too, very creative bit of writing. Theres alot to choose from out there. Finally got around to reading Kerouwacs "on the road" last year, interesting, but kind of slow, gonna rent the DVD and see how they adapted it to film as it has a long history of various people owning the rights and coming up empty till recently.

15. Milk

Milk

Both LOTR and Hitchiker's are in my classics for sure. I don't know for certain though. I really don't. Breakfast of Champions is a book i very much wish i'd written too. Love K Dick too...i'm not sure most days which one i prefer though, Do androids or Flow my Tears or Ubik...or...the list goes on..

Oh and stylistically it's hard to beat Raymond Chandler. I don't read him for the plot which are good enough but not really the point, the style though...

But im not answering the question.... well i guess i cant answer it. I have to say Hitchiker's great but it loses steam in the last two books. The first two or three are terrific though.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Wow, no one mentioned Dune yet, so I will the Dune series up through God Emperor is fantastic. I met Frank Herbert, he was a very intelligent and interesting man.

17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

18. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Thought of mentioning Herbert, but there were plenty of loopholes, despite an overall engrossing story. Loved the gallant attitude and the pace so far in the series (2 books in), and that's kept me going. Great ideas, great style, lax on some details. Still highly recommended, though, but probably just out of my top lists for the reason mentioned.

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Maybe not "best" but certainly "most memorable", the ones that have really stayed with me over the years:

- Jitterbug Perfume (Tom Robbins)
    - Contact (Carl Sagan)
    - If On A Winter's Night A Traveler (Italo Calvino)
    - The Outsiders (S.E.Hinton)
    - Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke)
    - Rendezvous With Rama (Arthur C. Clarke)

20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

In no particular order:

Kurt Vonnegut "The Sirens Of Titan"
    Joseph Heller "Catch 22"
    Ernest Hemingway "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
    John Barth "The Tidewater Tales"
    Homer "The Odyssey"

I see what you did there... and I like it. :D

21. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I liked it too! Just a fun romp through the English language and what can be done with imagination, just fun and not meant to be taken as anything but fun.

I really really can't get into the "Fantasy" type crap that is so prevalent today where everything depends on magic or fairies or some sort of altered spiritual fiction. All of that is just rubbish to me.

Robert Heinlein was good for me back in the day, just pretty good straight forward science fiction, probably the best I've ever read and good enough that suspension of disbelief was fairly easily achieved. Good escapism. The only problem I had with Heinlein novels was the writing didn't always flow, but it was good enough!