"The big guns" - Ampeg SVT vs Traynor YBA 300 vs ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Mar 15, 2014.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Being somewhat familiar with the SVT CL, I wonder how you think it compares to the YBA300. I run vented cabs and do not use a lot of dirt in my tone.

Other low to mid price, high power suggestions?
    Super Bassman is too expensive here in Sweden, and so is Reeves and other boutique-ish brands. The Peavey Classic is too heavy.
  2. nysbob

nysbob

Marshall VBA400.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Isn't the Peavey VB-3 meant to be on the lighter side?

Marshall VBA400s pop up cheap(ish) now and again, particularly on this side of the pond. They're a bit heavier than a CL, but not by a whole lot.

There's a number of old Trace Elliot valve bass amps worth checking out too - VA350, VA400, V4, V6, V8, TwinValve, QuatraValve and HexaValve.

Might want to check out other SVT's too, the SVT-II and SVT 2 -Pro as well as the SVT-VR.

There's also the Mesa Boogie 400 and 400+, the Orange AD200B and Ashdown have a few too in the BTA-400, CTM-300 and CTM-100 (they also have 15 and 30 watt valve bass amps too).
  4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I am mainly interested in a new amp, not an old DIY project = Trace Elliots and Marshall (lead sled) out of scope.
    The VB3 is too expensive here. Orange etc, too little power.
    Many reviewers comment on the Mesas being hard to get a more clean and flat sound from. They also seem prone to failure?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

In that case the Peavey Classic 400, Mesa 400, Mesa 400+ are also out of production amps. I've never known the 400 or 400+ to be prone to failure, they are two solid workhorse amps.

While different in dirt to the SVT, in some ways I'd say the Mesa's sounded cleaner (maybe clearer, would be more apt).

The Orange may "only" be 200 watts, but side by side there isn't going to be a huge difference in volume (at all) between that and an SVT. Some of the Ashdowns are in a similar power range.

You listed tube amps, but I now notice you didn't mention just being interested in tube amps. If you want clean, loud and light - at a reasonable cost, there are many solid state options out there. The likes of Mark Bass and Genz Benz produce some excellent amplifiers which may be worth checking out?
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Out of interest, is there any particular reason you're set to go new?

If price is an issue I'd certainly consider it, used bass amps lose a heck of a lot of value. The big amps I've bought (Peavey Firebass 700, Ampeg SVT-II and Trace Elliot SpeedTwin (guitar amp) have all been bought used. All of which significantly cheaper than new (less than half the price of a new equivalent) and the only issue I had was the SVT needing a retube (even after the checkup and retube it was less than half the cost of a CL or 2-pro).

In no means having a dig, just curious (heck, my next amp will probably be a new buy simply because you don't see many (any) going used (Ashdown Drophead 30).
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

The YBA300 is a lovely amp. I've owned SVT and YBA300 & both are fairly similar. Svt being a Lil more aggressively voiced- touch more fwd mids maybe.
    Both have a good amount of clean headroom. I liked the SVT overdrive a little better.
    The TRaynor is way lighter and much more easy to work on (according to my tech)
    I got rid of both in favor of the Fender Super Bassman. .. funnily enough, here in Australia it was WAY cheaper than the Ampeg and even slightly cheaper than the YBA300. 😎😎
  9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

If you are looking for the most clean head room IMO you'll find it with the YBA300. The Peg certainly is no slouch but is considerably heavier in weight too. Also factor in the warranty for where you are located as well.

+1 rodl2005. Too bad that the Fender Super Bassman 300 isn't in the running for you.

Rezdog
  10. rodl2005

rodl2005

Eh??? I've got a Super Bassman 300 Rez. Thought I pointed that out. Super amp. Loved the YBA300 but the 2nd channel options are great and the passive vintage channel is sublime.
    Traynor were excellent with warranty for me here in Tasmania, Aus. My YBA300 was packed awfully (bought it from Germany) & must've had a few bingles on its journey 1/2 way round the planet.
    The quick fix was done by my local trusted tech here & fully under warranty.
    Cheers 😎😎😎
  11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

well, you probably won't like the export price of the new Mesa Strategy (465w all tube), particularly compared to the Fenders or Ampeg's, but it would fit in with any meaningful definition of a current production "big gun" amp.
  12. gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

One of those MESA Strategy would be nice,
    I use a Marshall VBA400 and it does the damage quite well :bassist:
  13. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The YBA300 was my main-amp for nearly 2 years. I liked it very much - clean, low, powerful and punchy. I won't hesitate to suggest it to you
    I sold it only because fulltube amps, in the end, don't seem to be my personal amp-of-choice. But that's only personal, nothing wrong with the amp
  14. Dr. Gonzo82

Dr. Gonzo82

15. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

Traynor yba300 lots... lots of clean headroom. The bias feature is pretty nice too. More feature, better price, no brainer unless you want SVT tone, to me the yba is more on the vintage side.
  16. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings,

rodl2005....

LOL Let me correct myself! Sorry for the confusion I meant that the Fender SB300 was not in the running for the OP AlexanderB. Sorry bout dat. ;)

Rezdog
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'll put Mesa's QC up against anyone's I've never heard anything being "prone to failure"
  18. rodl2005

rodl2005

Ha ha. No probs. 😎