1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

the "break area" of a double bass?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by atomicbass, Nov 29, 2012.

1. atomicbass

atomicbass

Hello,

Could someone tell me what the "break area" is on the double bass? I'm reading "Double Bass the Ultimate Challenge"...great book!!!..., and Jeff B. mentions this term, but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks!

2. eerbrev

eerbrev

The "break" is a term sometimes used to describe the section of the neck where it connects at the body (with the heel).

3. atomicbass

atomicbass

Great, thanks! Makes sense to me.

4. David Potts

David Potts

if you regard the last of the "neck" positions being Simandl 5th Position (pinkie plays F on the G string) then it is the transition area between that and thumb position (side of thumb plays G octave or higher). The LH is turning progressively more towards the bridge, coming forward and standing up higher to avoid the forearm grounding on the ribs and breaking the flow of movement.

Cheers, DP

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bejoyous

bejoyous

As David describes above, this causes the fingers to go from being basically perpendicular and curved to the string to being angled and straight. This causes micro-tuning challenges.

7. David Potts

David Potts

Two other things are happening in this area. The thumb pad leaves the back of the base of the neck and tracks diagonally down as it prepares to flip over onto the strings. The pinkie pulls away from the strings as the hand turns and is replaced by the 3rd. (ring) finger. Depending on your hand shape and the length of the neck you might still be able to use your pinkie for F sharp. The notes are now so close together that the 3rd finger is just as good or better.

DP

8. atomicbass

atomicbass

Thanks, again for the additional clarifications! I appreciate it.