1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Buckaroo Strangers at The Waterwheel 02/16/14

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Feb 17, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

Howdy!

I played a rare Sunday evening gig with my new vintage country project, The Buckaroo Strangers. This was our first club date and only our second show.

[​IMG]

Most of us have worked together over the years in other, different projects but this is the first time this lineup has been assembled. There's some good chemistry happening.

[​IMG]

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This is what the club itself looks like, located on 6th street in Norco CA, otherwise known as Horsetown USA.

[​IMG]

It was kind of a tight fit getting all seven of us up on the stage. But the lighting was decent and the sound system was good.

[​IMG]

This is the view from the west wall, stage left, back toward the gaming area.

[​IMG]

And this is the view from the dance floor toward the front.

[​IMG]

Kevin and Bruce were running sound. I met Kevin a few years ago when I subbed in with Hotel California (an Eagles tribute band) and Kevin was their traveling sound guy.

They had Carvin TRX series speakers.

[​IMG]

They sounded really, really good. Kevin used a Presonus StudioLive 24 channel mixer.

[​IMG]

Here is Kevin's rack of Carvin power amps.

[​IMG]

And for monitors he had a bunch of these powered 15" 2-way Mackie units.

[​IMG]

You can tell this is a real honky tonk. There's mostly pickup trucks in the parking lot and most of them have hay bales in the back.

[​IMG]

Now that we've got our sign put up, Jason is starting to rock his drum kit.

[​IMG]

Here's my arsenal for the evening.

[​IMG]

And we're all set up, ready to sound check. It really does look quite the mess up there, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

Here's Sean and Joe ready to pick and grin.

[​IMG]

Paul brought several instruments and played them all, fiddle, steel, banjo, mandolin. That's Arnie's suitcase full of guitars behind him.

[​IMG]

This is just the bass player.

[​IMG]

This is Arnie, the band leader. Too much flash in this picture, sorry.

[​IMG]

Jason is ready to pound his skins.

[​IMG]

And our lovely Ms. Kellye Huff joins us on stage.

[​IMG]

Again, Sean and Joe in their performance duds.

[​IMG]

Here's Paul in his stage shirt. I brought the exact same Scully shirt tonight so I wore my red Scully instead.

[​IMG]

Jason is ready in his sparkly cowboy shirt.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick picture of Kellye and I at the end of the night. I told you my shirt was red. ;)

[​IMG]

We had a pretty good crowd for most of the night. Most folks have Monday off for President's Day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are right back at The Waterwheel next weekend, Friday and Saturday night. It should be a ton of fun.

I'm working on a little live video. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Here's a video taken by a fan. I just ripped it off FaceBook. What you see is what you get.

http://youtu.be/WNbDvfM_Ny8

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. modulusman

modulusman

Well it looks like you had someone running sound that wasn't clueless like at your first gig.:D BTW those monitors are Mackie SRM450s they have a 12 inch speaker not a 15.

3. calfroper

calfroper

Great pictures and a good video. Thank you. You got some good pickers here! What are some of your songs?

4. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Nice job on the Ricky Skaggs song, nice and tight. I've covered that one before and it's a tough one. You guys sound great!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Dang! Paul is doing the heavy lifting!

Do you only play with female singers whose names start with "Kelly"? :p

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thank you. We do a fair share of Merle and Buck but are still adding tunes because there are just so many great ones, both older and newer stuff. I sing a couple of George Strait; "Where The Sidwalk Ends", "I Just Want To Dance With You", the quintessential two-step from Hal Ketchum; "Past The Point Of Rescue", and some Merle; "Branded Man" and a special arrangement of "Swinging Doors" that is a real greasy blues. The other guys do "Old Alabama"-Brad Paisley, "Eastbound And Down"-Jerry Reed, "Hello Trouble"-Buck Owens, "Houston"-The Gatlins, and some cool old instrumentals like "Stealin' Corn" and "Buddy's Boogie". Kellye does "Together Again", some Patsy, and a couple of newer Lady A songs and such. It's good fun and a nice break from the "modern" country.

BassCliff

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

This band sounds great Cliff, but I have to admit I'm kinda fond of the Kelly Rae band. Did you defect?

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thanks! I haven't defected, still working with Kelly Rae. She's not been that busy as of late so I'm filling my calendar.

This band has a lot of potential and "industry" associations so I'm hoping to be doing some really good gigs as the project picks up steam.

What can I say? I want it all. :smug:

BassCliff