1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The CARVIN MB (MICRO BASS) Combo Club!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ATK Geoph, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

Hey all. I searched High and Low in the AMPS forum for a Carvin, OR Carvin MB club, and came up empty handed. So, I figured why not! :bassist::hyper::D

Here is a place for owners of the Carvin MB series Combos AND MB Extension Cabs to post their good, bad, and ugly! Own a MB10, MB12, MB15, or MB210? Tell us about it! How about a 115MB or 210MB Extension Cab?? Let us Know!!! ;)

I am hoping I am not the only one hear willing to admit I dig my MB10. :D

Brief story on my experience with the MB10. I don't play live anymore, and if I do ANYTIME in the near future, it will only be coffee shop type gigs. Also, I spend Most of my time on recording, nowadays. I use Line 6 interfaces and modeling software to record with. The Line 6 Software had treated me well until I started recording Bass tracks over Guitar and Keys. The modeling stuff would not give me Near the bass tone I was looking for. So, when looking for a Good, Small Footprint Combo, I wanted to find something with a Really Good DI WITH Pre/Post EQ capability.....
    SUPER LONG Story short, I settled on the MB10 and I am STOKED on it. It sounds Great for a 200w Single 10" with my playing style and the tone I shoot for. Can't wait to get an extension under it and let her loose!
    ALSO, the DI is FANTASTIC for recording! It is better sounding running Pre EQ than ANY of the Modeled sounds I can run on my Computer. I am a Happy MB owner!!:hyper::smug:

Anyone else care to join me in the Carvin MB Club???:eek::D
  2. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I can't join your club but I have a question for potential members. :p

Has anyone tried the MB10 for upright bass? I'm not looking for it to carry all of the sound, just to be a stage monitor. At $300, the Carvin is a full on bass amp at the same cost as the powered monitors some guys are using (Mackie SRM 150 for example) with good onboard tone shaping capability. That would allow me to leave the Boss GEB-7 or Yamaha PB-1 at home and just run from the Carvin to the board.
  3. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

I'm using it. It's wonderful. :) I'm so much happier with it than I was with my GK. The EQ section is so versatile, I can't believe anyone would have trouble finding a good sound with any bass in any room. Plenty loud too - I haven't pushed it more than halfway with my current jazz ensemble (drums, guitar, piano, vibes, flute / saxophone). Highly recommended.
  4. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

This is AWESOME to hear! :hyper::D

I sold an Acoustic B20 practice amp through Craigslist the day before yesterday. The guy that showed up for it showed with his upright. He played it through the B20 and I could not BELIEVE how nice it sounded, even with the whole EQ section flat.

He bought it from me. I was going to ask if he would plug into my MB10 so I could hear what an upright sounds like through it, but he seemed like he was in a bit of a hurry to get going, so I forgot to ask.... Wish I would have Asked!!:rollno:

kreider204, can I put you down for the MB Club???? :eek: ;)
  5. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

Sure thing, happy to contribute.
  6. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

Sweet! :D
    kreider204 is the Carvin MB Club Member # 2!
  7. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    The Carvin might have sabotaged the sale if you did that! ;)

Good to hear they work for URB. They're on my "watching it list" along with the MB12.
  8. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper

I would love to be part of this club sometime soon.

I would also love...........some PICS!;)
  9. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

Didn't think about that! Lol. :D
    The things I have heard about the MB12 in comparison is How THIN they sound, even more so than some of the reports of the MB10 or MB210. I have seen pics of the MB12 with the grill off and the 12" driver is angled Down at the ground, leaving LESS room for air to move in the cab, AND making the 6" driver more pronounced. I have only heard a couple samples on the internet though. But, even searching threads here on TB, it seems to be that the design of the MB12 has left it with the Thinnest sound. There are some reviews and/or comments on the MB12 in this thread :
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/new-carvin-micro-bass-combo-amps-674862/
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

My experience also. Very versatile, great sound, even with the headphones. I definitely want to record with it with one XLR out and a mic in front of the speaker.
    Brought it to rehearsal (3 piece rock band) and had a go with it and surprisingly enough, it was loud enough for all of us to hear (without distorting). Dropped it on my Avatar SB112 and it's the best sounding rehearsal tone I've had. :bassist:
  11. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

Well get an MB and Join the Club, Sir!!! :D

I have a Carvin BR210, among other things, showing up this week that I was kinda holding off to take pics of, BUT, here is a couple of my MB10.... :smug:
    This one is with my SKB 4U Shallow Rack Case for Size comparison....
    [​IMG]

Here is one of one of the Greatest EQ's I have had the Pleasure of fiddling with....
    [​IMG]

More Pics to come this week.... :bassist: :D
  12. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

jeff7bass, so your using your MB10 with an Upright?? :D
    I have only recorded a little from the DI straight into my interface, but I should try throwing a Mic in front of it, too!!!:hyper:

Can I add you to the Club??? #3 awaits you, if you so Desire! :D
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Electric only. We play rock and I play mostly with a pick. I get wicked punch and tone from this little amp! I definitely would want to stick a mic in front of it for the dynamic response, but then also mix it down with a balance line out. Some songs, more speaker, others more line (depending).
  14. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Subbed! I've been thinking of buying the MB210 because it's lightweight and easy to bring to and from rehearsal. I want to hear what you guys have to say about it.
  15. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Count me in!

You already know I have this amp because you chimed in on my other thread.

Carvin MB-210 owner here and I love this amp. I would be more than happy to post up a review, but I kinda already did months ago....but having even more miles on it now, I could say even more.

So versatile, so easy to transport, I love the tone for a small amp.

There are a few drawbacks, but honestly not many at all.

Great for practicing with a band, small gigs, or just having fun!

Number, please?
  16. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

Hey Peepaleep! Here is a link to a thread by one of our Wonderful TB users on the MB210! If it is Anything like my MB10, I'd say it's a Winner.... Check out this link :
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/thinking-adding-118-my-210-a-920872/
  17. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

BayStateBass!!! Yes, I did chime in on one of your threads and was HOPING you would show your Face 'round Here!!!
    BayStateBass is Carvin MB Club Member #3!!!! :D

Post away with your even more Experienced reviews! :smug:
  18. ATK Geoph

ATK Geoph

jeff7bass, Sounds Awesome! If you do end up recording with it, we would Love to hear some sound samples!!! Let us know what you end up doing!

#3 in the MB Club got snatched up, but can I interest you in #4??? :D:D:D You know you want too! :cool:
  19. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Thanks gentlemen - I'm reading...
  20. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I'm in!

Having demoed them all at the Carvin store, I own an MB210 combo and I love it! I bought it for low/med volume gigs/rehearsals and for my occasional Jazz outings with an EUB.

I play exclusively 5 strings (including the EUB) and it handles the low B with NO problems. It sounds however I want it to sound and that is huge to me.

I'm taking it to a rehearsal with the 6 piece band for the first time on Wed. I'm going to try it solo, and if that doesn't work, I'll tap into the backline cab.

Stoked on these.