The Christian Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

This is a continuation of this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388270

2. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Right On Brethren!!! Keep the gospel rolling in this place!

3. Valerus

Valerus

We seriously broke 1000 posts? Wicked awesome :D

4. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    God is good and you know that because of Him, we have a lot to talk about!!!

Praise HIM!!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Sweet...

Only 10,000 more posts and we beat the Post your Pedal Boards ;-)

just kidding :)

7. Gumby4

Gumby4

It was very nice of the mods to build V2 of this thread. I've known other BBS's that would not have been so accommodating.

Thank you, Ívar!:bassist:

8. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Yeah it was cool of Ivar to do it for us. We don't flame anyone in here for opinions or gear. There's nothing but edification and brotherly love exuding from these posts. Let's hope and pray it stays that way too!:D

9. mizmor

mizmor

I play bass in my worship team on Wednesday nights.

I've been playing bass for a year in July. I only play root notes right now as I try to get my barrings. I enjoy it and it helps me to get used to playing with others. We're a modern worship band and play a mix of hymns and modern worship songs. Our lyrics are pretty open and honest about what we believe.

10. Spawndn72

Spawndn72

I have just started playing in my church. I am a total newb, so my playing in pretty limited, but I am doing my best to praise the Lord.
    Thanks for the thread

11. Gumby4

Gumby4

Let's start V2 off right.

Welcome are newest members. :hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist:

mizmor #297
    Spawndn72 #298

12. RedsFan75

RedsFan75 Supporting Member

This is great stuff in these threads.

13. pin_head_47

pin_head_47

Over 1K posts already, crazy... good stuf to see though.

I was thinking the other day that with the summer festival season staring, we should start some kind of role call for some of the gigs that the members here will be playing/attending. I'm sure there's alot of potential for fellowship there.

14. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
  15. bassksun

bassksun

CAN I GET AN AMEN ?:bassist::hyper:

16. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Sure...Amen!

God bless everyone here!

17. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
  18. radec52

radec52

I have been playing with our worship team for about 18 months. We play a blend of contemporary and traditional Christian music. We do about 8-10 songs each service and hardly ever practice. The keyboard player and drummer have been playing together for years and he asked if I was interested in playing bass. I had played acoustic and electric guitar for 30 years and at first was not too thrilled about playing bass. Today I love it and wish that I'd spent those years studying bass. My passion is to become a better player and have our music ministry be a reflection of our love for the Lord.
    All the new songs each week and the absence of group practices have required me to figure out a lot on my own. I would be very interested to hear how other bass players in worship teams have approached learning new songs and prepare for Sunday services.
    Thanks for this thread. God Bless.

19. demented6th

demented6th

Hi radec52 and welcome!
    There has been some excellent discussion on practicing / preparation & worship leading in the last few pages of the thread which has now closed. I think it starts on post 920 at the bottom of this page...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388270&page=46

Every blessing
    Russell

C'mon #300! :hyper:

20. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Funny thing happened at worship this morning. It wasn't funny this morning but it is now, well, kind of.

We were on our last song which was kind of a groovin' upbeat song called "Lord of the Harvest". I really like playing this song since it gives me a chance to kind of show off a little with some slap lines and gospel grooves. Well anyway, we always play the song in C# and the drummer clicks off a 4 count and we start it off with just drums and bass. Everything's cool, my tone is perfect, and my slap is on. All the sudden the WL starts in on keyboards in the key of D. It threw me off for a second and I look up at her wondering what she was doing. She didn't even look back or anything. I just kept playing and she finally thought something was off. The guitarist stopped playing and just sang. She finally realized that she was off and stopped playing but continued to sing it in the key of D. The drummer and I rocked the house but everyone was so thrown off it seemed like a train wreck that kept on running.

I'm definately going to have a sit down pow wow with EVERYONE at the next rehearsal. Stuff like this shouldn't happen as much as they've been happening lately. We've been getting worse, not better. I'm a little frustrated but I know I need to come at them in the right spirit so I'm going to wait a week.

My prayer request is that everyone pray for my church and it's worship team. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but it's getting rather annoying playing my butt off and listening constantly for things I can do to make the music flow and sound better but everything else messing up around me. I can only control my instrument. :help:

21. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    I might be old school, but we must follow the leader. IME, I would have moved up a half step and focused on The Lord...

May I suggest that you may need a break from playing with the worship band?

God's Peace...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.