The Christian Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JaySeeDoubleYou, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaySeeDoubleYou

JaySeeDoubleYou

This club is different from all the others I've started in that, in this club, the bass is not the object, you are.

If you are actively involved in any kind of Christian music ministry, be it something as basic as playing bass on the Sunday Morning praise team at your home church, to anything as grand as being in a globally famous, globally renowned, globally touring Christian band, any style of music from adult contemporary, to the heaviest of the heavy, to the wierdest of the wierd, or anywhere in-between, so long as the lyrical content, and band mission is biblically focused, then stand up and be counted! (Literally, I will be assigning member#s)

Tell us about your ministy, about how long you've been in it, about what kind of music you do, are you more praisey, more preachy, a little of both, are your lyrics real literal, or more symbolic, more overt, or more vague. Share any pics, flix, or sound clips you have.

The bible calls us to be united as the body of Christ, and what better way for people who are a) Christian b) Bassists, and c) giving some degree (anywhere from a little bit, to everything they have) of their lives to music ministry, music to reach the lost and encourage the found, to unite than to have a club?!
  2. DGbass70

DGbass70

I'm in......what # am i ?
  3. manicbassman

manicbassman

I just serve up the bottom notes... just the roots ma'am... just the roots... I let the others get all widdly with it over the top...

I've been playing in Church some three weeks now, stepped in on a whim to help out when the previous bassist left...

Still a bit scary for me up there as the tunes are all new to me, plus I'm getting used to the new 5 string I've got so I can stay out of the pianist's way and not play in his octave...
  4. VanzKantDanz

VanzKantDanz

Well I guess I've been playing bass for my church for over a year now. I started playing for them when their bassist and drummer dropped out and I decided to fill in as the band only had an acoustic guitar player, a couple singers and a keyboardist. Today we have two guitar players, a drummer and the keyboard player no longer has to play the drum fills whilst singing and playing the synth. It's not my main musical focus but it's something that I deeply enjoy doing and it's definatly helped me as a bassist.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Count me in. I've been playing at my church for about 10 years now and also help out at another church at their Spanish service. I'm also in a Christian prog-rock-fusion band in the Columbus, Ohio area. Gimme a numba pleez!!!
  7. g00eY

g00eY

I've been playing for I don't even know how long. Not that long, but I can't remember. If I had to guess I'd say 4 years. I play on Sunday mornings, as well as for one of our youth group services. Typically our teams are made of younger musicians led by older leaders or vocalists on Sundays. At youth group, it's all us young people.

I jam a lot with the guys from our youth team and I consider them my "band." Jamming to us is synonymous with praising God. Whether we play "worship" music, improv, or secular, we are using the gifts God has given us to glorify His name. Right now I've been practicing a lot of guitar and am starting to teach a younger bassist how to play and worship so our team can have a strong musical foundation when I go off to college.

We do a lot of Hillsong United, Matt Redman, David Crowder... more modern stuff. We also enjoy the occasional hymn, adding some flavor, of course. Personally when melodies catch my attention, I listen a lot for the lyrics. Cool music is nothing without cool lyrics. Sometimes we jump when appropriate so I guess you could say we're pretty overt.

Hrm... here's some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Albums:
    add me! i've been playing in church for about 7 or so years. heck, that's where i learned to play!
  9. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    I'm in! Been playing for my church for almost a year now because the other bassist switched over to playing around with the soundboard and recording the message. He still likes to play every once in a while, but has pretty much handed everything down to me. I'm still learning many of the songs as we play anything from the latest radio station hits to the older hymns. But it's always fun and enjoyable that I can use my bass playing to give praise to God.

Our praise team can be pretty straightforward most of the time, but we do enjoy those symbolic songs that match so well with message (usually they go un-noticed until after message ;) and promptly gets stuck in everyone's heads), or the songs that have been a part of the church for a long time and everyone knows by heart (these have been written by members of our parent church IIRC). :D

I don't have any pictures of us playing (I don't think they've ever taken pictures :p) but if you're ever in the Fullerton, CA area you can come and see for yourself. (link to my church's website in my sig :D)
  10. Valerus

Valerus

Count me in. I played in my youth group and am hopefully going to start a Christian band within the next couple of years.
  11. elros

elros

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Here I am, standing up to be counted. Why, since I was knee-high to a grasshopper I've been involved in P&W in my church, first behind the trapkit and later (for the last 12 years or so) sportin' the bass guitar.

Now I also play in the Ansgar Gospel Choir and we do... black gospel, believe it or not, as well as we can manage. I love that style, and the lyrics are rad!
  12. mlv123

mlv123

I've played in various worship settings for 6 or 7 years, and i can't even begin to explain how awful i was at bass at first (although i guess we all were)... I'm just now beginning to focus on bass as a main instrument after leading worship in various capacities over the past few years with an acoustic guitar.

In October, I started to play with a band of guys from the school I go to (Grove City College) and we are taking a huge leap of faith in about 9 days. We're traveling to northern Europe from December 28 - January 20, and we'll be playing for various churches and ministries as well as in coffee houses and bars, with the goal of encouraging the church and taking Christ's truth to the lost and hungry people. I must admit that it's a bit daunting, as we still need to raise about $2000 to cover various travel and logistical expenses, but we are trusting that God will provide for us, as He has opened numerous doors to bring us to this point. If anyone has a contact in or near Frankfurt, Germany who could help us rent a portable PA system and/or Drum Set on a budget, please let me know. Also, if any of you have a minute, please pray for us as we embark on this trip.

You can check our music out here, and if any of you happen to be in or near York, PA on Friday Dec 21, we'll be playing a short acoustic set at a coffee house.

Blessings to all of you - keep seeking the LORD!!!!
  13. grayhawk1853

grayhawk1853

Been playing in the praise band at church for 2 services on Sunday for 4 years now. Joined another band outside of church about 2 months ago. They also play in their respective praise bands. They have 1 name for Christian gigs and another for the secular outings. All mature and professional people with great attitudes.
  14. mike perry

mike perry

Great Idea!!! This is something that will keep me going, I live in Mass. and we don't have the praise and worship bands like most of the country. God is good and I have been lucky enough to have played in praise teams for roughly 14 years. I currently serve in a church called New England Chapel, www.newenglandchapel.org. Its a christian reform church in Franklin, Ma. I have the opportunity to share my gift with over 1200 people a weekend, the church is roughly 8 years old and God is doing some amazing things in New England. I am also the bass player for a singer/songwriter Jason Bonham www.myspace.com/jasonbonham. He has a love for God and people and we are busting our butts to share our music with others. Thanks for putting this thread up and I pray that every understands the true meaning of CHRISTmas. Amen!!!
  15. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I play at Friday night services every other week or so... sign me up? :D I also used to play at our campus-located Catholic church for their teen services, but I was bumped for someone with more availability :( I *love* playing worship and made sure they kept me on as a sub, though. Music is my job so unfortunately I can't be free every night and every Sunday morning (I didn't get home until 5 am last Saturday, haha).

Do most of you play contemporary music (e.g. Chris Tomlin, etc)?

Shameless plug: http://www.christianfellowship.com/
  16. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

I play in one church or another every Sunday morning and tour with a contemporary group called Jonathan & Lisa Moore (backup to their main bassist who actually taught me for a few years). www.myspace.com/jonathanlisa

Count me in for those who lay it down for the Lord. :)
  17. outlander03

outlander03

I joined our praise band a couple of months ago. They've been together for about a year, but I've only recently starting playing bass. We play one service a month, but will probably expand that to weekly sometime next year, when we add another service.
  18. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer

I want a number. I just the other day figured out that i have been playing in praise bands at my church for nearly the past twelve years on and off. I played in the youth group band, the contemporary service band, Traditional service orchestra, The Way (traveling prasie and worship band), youth/adult choir accompaniment (sp?) and even bass and piano duets with my mother the church pianist. Wow, i guess i hadn't till now realized just howmany groups i had played with at this church. lol good times, good times. So, i gotta know... what number am i in the TCPAWBBC? That rolls of the tongue nicely doesn't it? The TCPAWBBC!
  19. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

I've been playing Xn music since I was 14 (10 yrs.). I had been playing bass for about a year when my friends and I formed a Christian band and led worship for our church's youth services, wednesday night services, and then retreats for middle and high school youth. When we left to go to college (4 of us went to Samford University in Birmingham, AL) we kept playing but in different capacities. At one time...3 of the original members were playing at UCF, University Christian Fellowship, in Bham to 1,000 people + on Wednesday nights. We would never form a true band again...but 1 of us is in Cali at Claremont doing his Doctorate in Composition, 1 of us went on to play at Northpoint Community Church in Alpharetta, GA for Sundays and for Louie Giglio at 7:22 and One Day (he also tours with Steve Fee, leads his own songs for Student Life campus, Big Stuff Camps, etc), one of us is doing his own worship travel stuff, and myself...I am still playing bass for Xn groups and leading worship for my home church in Birmingham, AL.

I have played bass in a traveling worship band (56Henry), played bass in studio for people in Caedmon's Call, Silar's Bald, Bebo Norman, and Steven Curtis Chapman...plus some indie Xn bands. I currently play for Jessica Reike Heine and The Clevelands...but mainly play for Redstone Church in Bham, AL.

Here is a shot from 56Henry:
    [​IMG]

That is about it...anyone know of any churches or worship rock bands in North Carolina that needs a rock/funk bassist??? I've moved and need to find an outlet for worship.

Can I have a number???
  20. JohnL

JohnL

Nice thread! I've been doing it since 1983. First with Christian rock group Skyrider. Then played with the Billy Lord Band for 11 years, everwhere from Washington state to Berlin, Germany. Opened for acts like Bebo Norman, Leslie (now Sam) Phillips, Geoff Moore and the Distance, Jars of Clay, and Jerome Olds. Lately I have played locally with an up and coming guy named Aaron Keyes, and Chuck Sullivan, as well as doing some fill in with local P&W services.
  21. bassteban

bassteban

I had played at church for about 5 years when a bunch of folks(mostly in the music ministry)all left for one reason or another; we subsequently formed a home-study group & band(see sig)that does outreach outside(usually)of traditional church. But we do worship. Count me in, if I qualify. Bringin the low end for The Most High. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.