The correlation between dexterity and odd bass shapes..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by triviani, Apr 14, 2014.

1. triviani

triviani

Why is it that some bass players, as they become proficient with their instrument, they also develop a liking for odd bass shapes and finishes?

Is it a way to accommodate their talent?

Does the marble finish help to visualize the scales?

Is it to make really sure nobody in the public takes them for another guitarist?

I'm talking of these:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

:D
  2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Some people want to ride further than the P bass can go.
  3. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

all that vibration shakes our eye sockets loose :)
  4. londonbasshead

londonbasshead

I play a six string double cutaway, that has a lovely quilted maple top (I think it glows under stage lighting)... however, the finish doesn't help me visualize scales or shapes :smug:, although I find the neck quite comfortable for my medium sized hands/fingers (which in turns grants me comfort to move around the neck).

The physical shape of the bottom horn does allow me to reach the upper positions with greater ease, while the top horn helps balance the bass from neckdiving like a swan... however, it would fall under a more modern/traditional shaped body.

With respect to odd shapes though, often some can be creations unique to a specific luthier, appealing to both the sound and aesthetic of a specific player, or you're just plain GAS'ing for it and you just happen to have the coin to spare.
    :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

That's an interesting theory. I'm kind of with london's last paragraph.
    I did wonder though why Al Gare spaces out when he plays his upright. I tried it and discovered that visualizing the fingerboard of my P bass ( ! ) in my head instead of looking at it except for major shifts, I make less mistakes. Maybe I should visualize a quilt top instead. :D