1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The cure for GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Sitting here getting sick of the fact that I lust after basses on here (and the rest of the interwebs):

What if- I made myself broke as hell buying a bass?

I know- I know - some folks have a somewhat unlimited budget. But many of us I would imagine have a breaking point as far as we're willing to spend -- even if you're a professional musician.

So if I just order a sick Fender CS (normally, the top dollar I would pay is "American Standard" money) does anyone think that the GAS would subside?

Keep it relative too- if you think 4-500 is typically as much as you'd spend - would it get rid of your GAS to buy an American Standard?

I'm not asking about Fender brand in particular by the way- I'm just curious about the philosophy for handling GAS.
  2. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

What the hell is gas?
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

They'll find a cure for cancer well before a cure for GAS is discovered.
  4. SIFJiggy

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
  5. SactoBass

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

It's related to BASS = Buy And Sell Stuff.
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

It worked for me. I bought a custom spec'd Stambaugh J bass 4 years ago. I have no GAS for any other bass because each one I try is not as good as what I have... thus I have zero interest in getting another bass.
  7. ster

ster

Cure for GAS? Stop visiting Talkbass and focus on your playing.

Buying expensive gear thinking it will cure your GAS is like a drug addict thinking that spending all of his/her money on one last crazy weekend will solve their problems.

Well not quite but you get the gist of it.
  8. progrmr

progrmr

The only thing that cures gas is actually playing your bass instead of reading about bass...I am a full fledged gasaholic - I'd be MUCH better if I just played and avoided TB. I just don't have the discipline. :)
  9. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Depends on the person. I have an absolutely sick Stambaugh 6 string that's incredible, and I've bought two basses since then and have one on order. lol

5sg.
  10. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

Haha! Great!
    Thank You...
  11. SIFJiggy

*creaks wallet open*
  12. fivestringgecko

+1

Forgot to mention that. :)

5sg.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Best cure is to get married....then tell your wife how much you spend on your basses. Instant cure guaranteed.
  14. SIFJiggy

Made my GAS worse, actually.
  15. fivestringgecko

I've heard a couple good ways around this...*

1) I get to buy [bass gear] for every ____ shoes you buy.
    2) Keep a gear fund, and every once in a while, buy the wife something with money from said fund.

*disclaimer: I'm single, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of either option. I bet option #2 gets more traction though. :p

I also know a guitar player who has a guitar museum (read: guitar pron) room... 54 guitars, 12 amps, 2 PA setups, drums... and enough neon lights to require TWO POWER CIRCUITS IN THE ROOM. His wife doesn't even notice new guitars any more. lol

5sg.

[​IMG]
  16. RumbleSteve

RumbleSteve

Yeah, easier said than done. 20 mins ago I got yelled at by my ol lady. She said " will you turn that down I'm trying to go to sleep ". I feel it's inportant to note that she is behind two closed doors at least over 40 feet away past a living room size room in another room. Big house but I guess not big enough:mad:
  17. SactoBass

A good solution for that is a $49 Vox Amplug (the bass version) with an iPod and Sony MDR 7506 headphones. I can practice all night long if I want to, and nobody hears me.

Just add those items to the GAS list! :D

(and tell the wife that it's really for her!)
  18. Hues

Hues

19. RumbleSteve

RumbleSteve

I'v got a pair of HOSA headphones bought on a budget, but anything that takes away moving real air just isn't the same :crying:

Besides, what good is having one if you can't let them know your interested in more than just you, but pissing them off too! :D

+1 for the good advice though
  20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Worked for me last month-(yes, I have a fund). I sold a Fender Jazz V bought a cheaper SUB Ray4 and gave her the difference. This appeased her enough to let me buy two other basses not long after with hardly a peep. :)