The Danelectro Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Feb 19, 2013.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I've heard many people talk about how Danelectro basses have their own sound. What is it, exactly. Most of the Danos I've seen have lipstick pickups so in my mind, they should sound very similar to a Jazz. So what's the big appeal with them?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They don't really sound like a Jazz, although they have a midscoop in common with both pickups on. The most common tone known from Danos is the twang tone, with a bright upper end on flatwounds. Thumpy and bright at the same time. A lot of old country like Patsy Cline had tic tac bass parts doubling an upright usually played on a Dano. But it'll get other sounds as well. I like to use the front pickup by itself, and I also like to turn the treble off the back pickup and use both. My Longhorn has a weird tone unlike any other basses I've used, but it's great and more versatile than you'd think. "Radar Love" by Golden Earring was cut on a Longhorn, for example.

3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

4. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I'm thinking of picking up a Hodad and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be getting myself into. The tone seems very useful but I'm concerned about the reliability. They seem to be pretty flimsy as far as build goes....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I imagine you're getting a Hodad with lipsticks instead of the P pickup they used to have...mine's a 2009 Dead-On Longhorn and I don't know much about the Hodad. There was a 6-mo. period I used it for all my gigs, and have even flown with it as checked-in baggage a few times (in an ATA approved flight case, of course). So far not a thing has gone wrong with it. Stays in tune perfectly all night, never had a failure of any kind, and I don't even think the neck moved during the change of seasons. OK, I live in Florida, but still...we get cold snaps.

Having said all that, it's VERY flimsy. The tuners are 3rd rate Kluson knockoffs, the electronics are cheap, and the body feels like it would break in a million pieces if dropped from 5 feet. But there's nothing like it out there, save for other Danos with lipsticks. Highly recommended.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

The only real way to find out what a Dano sounds like is to play one IMO.

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Recently bought a Longhorn reissue from a TBer. It's amazing!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Find a Jerry Jones Bass.
    Dano-tone better built.

10. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I have those Lipstick Pickups in my 77 VM JAzz, It nails that old Golden Earing sound, especially the Twlight Zone solo

[​IMG]

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

there is a used hodad for 195 right now on ebay

12. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Jerry Jones is better quality but a lot more expensive if you can find one. Jerry is out of business so the prices are high for used ones. The Dano Longhorn may not be as well constructed but is still a versatile great sounding easy to play bass. One of my all time favorites!

13. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Nobody has them in stock in my city so I'd have to order one in. Not an issue as the place I deal with has a 30 day money back guarantee. If I don't like it, I just hand it back. I'd like to have a Longhorn but they are out of production.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sam Ash in Winter Park, FL still has one, or at least did the last time I was there.

15. msb

msb

There was a fresh batch of Korean made Longhorns this year , I doubt that they've all been sold . The new one's have a headstock trussrod adjustment .

They are not expensive . Made of Masonite over a hardwood frame . Very light . Have a very unique feel . Some people get them , others don't . Two single coil lipstick style pickups , so they are pretty versatile little things .

I love using mine , but it took me a while before I really got it , now it tends to be my go to bass .

16. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Is there a tonal difference between a four and six string?

I have a six and love the Dano sound, but as a bass player who really doesn't play guitar, the string spacing is so small on the six. Thought of trading for a four.:meh:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It's the same sound to my ears.

18. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

One thing I've noticed is that Danelectro doesn't keep instruments in the production lineup for very long. I'd be interested to find out if they plan to start production of the Longhorn bass again at some point in the next little while.

19. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Thanks!

20. mbelue

mbelue

Nifty, nifty basses. I recently sold mine on here, kinda wish I hadn't. Fun little bass, unique sound, but I couldn't do the short scale adjustment. Maybe later I'll get another, maybe not. I'd snatch a long scale Longhorn up in a heartbeat though.

21. msb

msb

That was made by Hondo . Didn't sound like a Dano though .