1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The dead on Mt. Everest

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Dec 3, 2012.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

http://www.altereddimensions.net/places/dead-bodies-mount-everest.aspx

WARNING: Some tough pictures.

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Yeah, it's some pretty darn heavy **** that happens up there. You know, the last stretch is so high that your body can not sustain itself. You are racing against the clock to finish the climb before your body finishes shutting itself down.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I remember starting to read about this before. I had to stop, too heartbreaking to think about for me.

-Mike

4. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

Wow. That is some crazy stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not your everyday expedition. The odd "tourist" might get there without being made fully aware of the facts and percentages but to be that fit, rich, delusional and ambitious would be special. An uncle of mine is RIP on K2.

8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

It never occurred to me that the bodies can't be recovered. It's like a graveyard.

9. tplyons

tplyons

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

11. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Whoa. Heavy.

Since the site seemed a little sketchy I did a little bit of googling to determine how "true" it is, and indeed it all seems to match up. Wikipedia has entries on some of the people listed, as well as some of the macabre landmarks. "Green Boots" et. al.

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

A friend of mine was sharing similar findings last year, before he went of traveling, though in the end they only went to base camp at Everest.

Scary stuff. Also why Is never do that kind of climb, my luck is terrible!

13. Staredge

Staredge

Unfortunately, Everest is not that hard. It's been said in the climbing community that if it was a thousand metres lower it would be a fairly "easy" climb. The pictures of the lines at the Hillary step sicken me. It's become a tourist mountain.....hence the amount of deaths that continue to happen. People are not building their skills through years of expeditions.......they're buying their way onto teams, and aren't up to keeping themselves alive. When you're that high, you're on your own. There are no rescue teams. A lot of climbers die trying to rescue people.

K2, on the other hand........that's a whole different ball game. I love that mountain. Never be that good, but I'd love to take a shot. Technically EXTREMELY difficult. Altitude only makes it worse.

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A NZ guide copped a lot of flak for leaving a client to die. His response roughly paraphrased: "He knew the risks, I did what I could but in the end it was him or both us dying and I chose not die". The client had run out of steam in the death zone.

15. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Interesting thread - thanks. This hits close to home in a way. My Grandmother was an avid mountain climer, and got caught in an unexpected snow-storm on MT. Rainier for 2 days until she was found - OK, cold, and shook-up.

16. Staredge

Staredge

[​IMG]

This is one of the reasons that people keep dying. Too many people. Ed Viesturs is a good read on Everest. He was there (and helped rescue a few people) back in 96 when the [​IMG]

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dying on Everest is a risk every climber understands before undertaking the climb. However, the death rate for climbers on Everest is "only" a little above 7 percent, so on average, about one in 14 climbers die. For comparison, the death rate for Annapurna is over 40 percent. So two of every five climbers die. K2? 27 percent, so a little more than one in four die. Climbing Everest has become a popular tourist activity, and many people who have no business on the mountain pay buku bucks to have somebody babysit them up the hill. It's pretty dumb, really.

I'm going to stick with bass playing, where everbody dies, but not as soon.

18. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

You have to be a bit nuts to attempt K2 or Annapurna.

I'd favor easier climb like the Kilimanjaro (most likely some other less touristy climb with similar difficulty level)

19. bassbrad

bassbrad

But that extra 1000 meters is the whole allure of Everest, it's not the best, hardest, most beautiful only the tallest.

20. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

21. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

I've seen this one before, it's a real crazy thing. I personally don't understand the allure but to each their own I guess.