1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The demise of my blues band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by EddiePlaysBass, Jan 25, 2013.

1. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Bit sooner than I expected, and in a different manner than expected but I got the -unofficial- word yesterday.

Bit of background before I get started: the singer and one of the guitarists in my band also play in a second blues band. "My" band does covers, "their" band does originals. A few months ago, their band really took off. And this caused discord in "my" band"

Anyway, yesterday I went to see the "other" band, and met up with the guys before the gig. The guitarist who's also in my band told me immediately that due to personal issues in his life, he's forced to quit "my" band and depending on how it goes, might even quit the "other" band, too.

I told him this actually makes a lot of things easier, and that he should take however much time he needs to get his issues sorted out (because, without going into details, they are way more important than music) and that he should call me when he's ready to start a new project again.

I won't lie: I am sad and disappointed that it ends so quickly. This is the best band I have played in so far, with some of the best musicians I have played in so far. I learned so much, I play stuff I never thought I would be able to play. Opened for some international acts and played stages big and small.

The worst thing is: the last gig we've played was just not good. And there's a good chance that we will not honour the March gig, so that will be the last one we ever played. In a way, it will be a fitting swan song, because I realized when I saw the "other" band, that the big issue with "my" band has always been: we were never a band.

Seeing and especially hearing the "other" band on stage last night, finally made me realize what was missing in "my" band: chemistry. It just wasn't there. We never really gelled as a band, there have always been small subgroups (with me usually smack in the middle of them, for some reason) and the sum was never greater than the parts.

So there you have it. I will not cry because it's over. Nothing but good will come from this. I am sure of it. What that is, remains to be seen, but whatever happens next, it will be good. And I will get better, and I will gain more experience. And I will have fun.
  2. zenman

zenman

Come on brother, its a blues band. Pick up another guitar player and carry on!
  3. bluewine

bluewine

Sorry to hear.

My position on playing in multiple bands and the problems it can cause is no secret on this forum.

Blue
  4. bluewine

bluewine

Who knows what the variables are. It might not be that easy.

If we lost our lead guitar player, she would be impossible to replace.

Blue
  5. Joedog

Joedog

Yeah, I have to agree w/Blue (even though I sometimes don't). No offense intended, Blue! Next time try and get w/guys who will commit to a single project. The good part is you came away with some good experience....focus on the positive!! Chemistry is either there or not....kind of hard to predict or create. It's sort of like losing a GF. Sad but sometimes for the better...lick your wounds....the next great adventure may be just around the corner!
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Do you mean Musical Chemistry? Or do you mean Personal chemistry?
  7. obimark

obimark

Not all , but most people who "play" in multiple bands are a waste of time. (There are some exceptions, but you have to be REAL Damn professional to make it work) and from the many bands I have been in, that is in short supply.
    It is hard enough to get 4 peoples heads in the same spot to practice once a week (or every other week) and play 2-3 gigs a month when they are ALL in only the ONE band.
  8. El-Bob

El-Bob

You should write a song about this.
  9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Blue's Laws

#5 The Highlander Doctrine
    RE: Multible band participation

"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"
  10. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Actually - and ironically - we were the "second" band for a while. The singer and guitarist had started "us" because the other band was going nowhere. Looked like we would take off but then they revived said "other" band under a different name and it skyrocketed like crazy.

Chemistry: I meant on a personal level - which affects the musical chemistry too. We were a pretty good live act for most of the gigs we did, but I realized after seeing "the other band" that there had always been this "not quite" aspect to us. We were "not quite" there as a unit.

If anyone cares, here's our demo: https://soundcloud.com/dustydollar/sets/promo-cd

It's not quite perfect (that's why it's a demo) and we should really have re-recorded everything but we'd already (literally) lost a day's worth of recordings due to a stupid accident. Ah, reminiscing already :D
  11. pedro

pedro

Sorry to hear it. My little soul band came to an end a few months ago despite my best efforts to juggle the extensive parameters I was given to deal with. Was a real pity as the band had some excellent potential. Fortunately, I had another band going so I've got something to keep me busy. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find another project soon.
  12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

IME, the people I most enjoy playing with—the ones who have the widest and deepest musical vocabularies, who consistently come up with the most creative musical ideas, who listen and respond best, and who make it easiest for everyone to sound good—tend to be playing a lot, tend to play in a wide range of settings, and tend to do a lot of freelance work.
  13. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

so long as you are open and honest and do your homework, there is no problem with doing more than one band. at one point, i did three.
  14. pedro

pedro

Depending on the individuals involved one band's goals may not be enough for another member. For example, the members of band A, decide that they can only commit to twice a month (1 gig/1 rehearsal or 2 gigs or 2 rehearsals) and that may not satisfy the gigging desire of one or more members of the band. In addition one band may be specializing in one style of music and one or more members of the band want to dabble in various other styles. It can be a hassle but sometimes it can't be helped.

YMMV, etc.
  15. bluewine

bluewine

Blue"s opinion.

Only 1 band for me. I can't speak for everyone.

Blue
  16. JumboJack

JumboJack

I like to play a lot. That's why I (and most) are in more that one band. 2-3 times a month don't cut it for me.:bassist:
  17. bluewine

bluewine

Ok, fine, but it comes back to the gigging issue. What happens if one band starts gigging every Friday and Saturday night 9:00-1:00?

Or are we talking about bands that don't gig. I've learned from this forum that's not uncommon.

Blue
  18. bluewine

bluewine

Ok, how can you play in multiple bands if all the bands your in are all booked up on weekends?

You can't be in 2 places at the same time.

Blue
  19. JumboJack

JumboJack

Very,VERY few bands are booked every Friday and Saturday of every month.
  20. carl h.

carl h.

I've done multiple gigs in multiple states before on the same day. Not recommended, but doable.

Most bands aren't working terribly often these days so it is a non issue for most.