1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Dialect Quiz

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matante, Dec 28, 2013.

1. matante

matante

2. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I did this and it was off, I'm from Maryland with family from WV and I got Newark and two cities in NC. I couldn't believe it didn't have the 'wooter' question.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Philadelphia and New York. I lived in South Jersey (basically a suburb of Philly) until I was 8, then North Jersey (basically a suburb of NYC) after that. I'm impressed by how accurate this test is for everyone.

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Sugary soft drink- you call it 'pop', right? It showed that you would call it 'soda' and none of my cousins from Temple City call it that.

Nice of them to put the one about drinking water from a bubbler in there- makes me a sitting duck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stevetx19

stevetx19

7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

It nailed me. I'm from Eastern NC and it chose Winston Salem, Durham and Greensboro as possibilities but all of my area was dark red.

The thing I found odd was that the most distinct answer it used to narrow the results was "yard sale". I guess that is a term we only use around here?

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Born in Cincinnati, but I was basically raised in Memphis. My mom is from St. Louis and my father is from Lowell Massachusetts, though he spent a decent part of his childhood in Canada.

That all said, I somehow got Reno and Kansas City the first time I took it, and just now I got Colorado Springs and Orlando :confused: Oddly enough, my southern friends think I sound like a northerner, my northern friends say I sound like a southerner, and my west coast friends just don't understand what the hell I'm saying when I ask for sweet tea :D

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Buffalo & Rochester NY.

10. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Living in Denver, I got Denver, Aurora, CO and Gilbert, AZ. Fairly accurate but I'm original from Minneapolis so I thought some Midwest northerner would come out.

11. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Santa Rosa and Reno. Dead on.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Sacramento, Oxnard, and Fresno.

I am a pure California product, but never spent any time in those microregions. I blame my parents.:|

13. biobass

biobass Supporting Member

Newark, NYC and Baltimore - pretty much spot on. I've lived the majority of my life in central and northern NJ. Sneakers, soda and yard sale were key.

14. fmoore200

fmoore200

New York/New Jersey.. Pretty good, but then it says Yonkers :confused: I've lived in NYC for pretty much my entire life and couldn't tell by dialect of someone was from Yonkers :D

15. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Hmmmmm.... Something funny going on here.

So the three cities returned are Portland, Seattle and Anchorage so spot on right? But I'm a transplant and looking at the colors on the map the strongest red by far is East Coast- New England to NY which is where I spent most of my life.

So why wouldn't it "guess" East Coast cities?

16. matante

matante

In LA proper we call it 'soda'. Temple City is out in the boonies and has a lot of "Okies", so I'm not surprised to hear someone would call it 'pop' out there.

I'm very curious to see how the other Southern Californians do on this quiz. I'm surprised by how accurate it was for me, though I haven't spent much time in Glendale or Long Beach.

17. matante

matante

That is odd. Where is your strongest blue? Mine is southern Louisiana.

18. matante

matante

As in you're from Reno and live in Santa Rosa? That's kind of creepy if it's that accurate.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Can't be that accurate. It's placing me in places I've never even been (with exception to Orlando).

20. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I live in Santa Rosa (born and raised) and am going to college in Reno soon. So yeah, creepy :bag:

21. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Mine too - Louisiana and Mississippi were strongest blue:hyper: