1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The "Duh" moments of troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Jan 20, 2014.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

So many, many times when people ask toubleshooting questions the seasoned pro's will start by asking things like, "Is your guitar plugged in?" and other veterens laugh, and the newbies feel insulted... Well, the reason why they start there IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALL DONE IT at some point, the reason they laugh is because the felt stupid at some point for forgetting to plug in the guitar too.

Last night I'm troubleshooting my latest build, Wampler Ecstacy clone... I'd been checking it on and off for about a week whenever I had time... Can't figure out what's wrong, checked every joint, replaced componants that held any suspicion... just about to scrap the board and start fresh... And I notice the IC is not oriented correctly... should have spotted that in the first 5 minutes... so I fix it, but now I'm getting a strange hiss and odd volume behavior... another 45 minutes of audio probing to look down and see that, because I had the box turned over, I had plugged the input of the pedal into my amp... and all I could do was laugh at myself.

Here's the finally finished product. Complete with psychedlic, glow-in-the-dark paint for those dark stages. Sounds Great! I definitely recommend the Wampler Ecstacy or Euphoria (currently)! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. lz4005

lz4005

I've had things like that happen more times than I'd like to admit. Missed more than one cue on a gig because I didn't turn my volume back up after tuning between songs.

The most recent was taking 15 minutes to figure out I'd plugged into the 'wet' instead of 'blend' output of a digital effects unit when I was recording a drum track. Threw away two full takes of the song.

Not as bad as the time the harmonica player in a blues band I was playing with missed the entire first set because he'd confused inputs and outputs on his pedal board. If I hadn't pointed it out to him he probably never would have figured it out on his own.

3. DagoMaino

I think most of us, with all of our experience, like to think that if something is not working, it must be something complex... if complex means turning on your power conditioner to the rack but forgetting to turn the amp on...

4. lz4005

lz4005

That's why I don't turn off my amp or unplug between sets anymore. Just turn down the bass and put it behind the amp so it doesn't get knocked over.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Gah, just last night I spent an hour at a gig trying to figure out why my I couldn't hear my amp on stage. It was faint, and I just had to go off of what I could hear through FOH. I methodically checked every connection, rearranged cords, etc. Finally realized the amp's -18db input pad was pushed in. :oops:

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

My "Duuuh" moment happened at practice a few months ago when after plugging, getting no sound and checking everything while cursing for 15 minutes, I saw my LMB-3's level at 0. Brilliant.

8. odineye

odineye Gold Supporting Member

Hey. At least you guys remembered to plug your cabinets in. THAT took more than a little while to live down... :oops:

9. aledeville

aledeville

I once bought a new pa because the old one didn't work. Turned out it was a faulty XLR cable... yeah, we've all been there. To be continued...

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

A couple of weeks ago we scratched our heads at rehearsal because the PA didn't sound right and we just couldn't get the usual sound. Checked and triple-checked the mixer and every EQ and outboard effect setting I could think of but no luck. After a while we realized we had forgot to connect the powered subs to the mains after the last gig. Duh.

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

1. When playing a bigger gig i told the FOH guy that on two songs, i'll dial in some more Gain and Dirt with my Tonehammer 500 so the signal will get a lot hotter and he needs to watch out for that. Even printed a setlist with the songs marked for him and gave him handsignals from the stage. Only to realize after the gig, that my Tonehammer was set to Pre-EQ DI.

2. When trying to set up my new compressor i hooked a loopstation to the beginning of the chain and let a loop play through it. The Compressor did not only compress weird, but also distorted the signal in a not unpleasant, but very unwanted way. I changed the powersupply and it didn't help, i dialed all the knobs, no help there, i set the output of the loopstation lower, no help and when i was rummaging in my bag to find a battery to power the compressor, i finally saw the LED on one of the overdrive pedals was on.

12. DagoMaino

13. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I am always grateful when my mystery problem turns out to be a boneheaded operator error. Those are easily fixed.