The EHX Freeze Sound Retainer Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kugelspot, Jul 24, 2010.

1. kugelspot

kugelspot

So, today I got my new EHX Freeze pedal in the mail. I haven't seen any review of it here (although I've been gone a couple weeks), so I thought I'd do one.

Ease of Use: 8/10
    This pedal is exceedingly simple to use. Just a knob to control the level of the sustained note and a 3 way toggle to choose what mode the pedal is in. The instructions explain everything very clearly and I got the hang of the pedal in just a few minutes. No complaints here

Sound: 8/10
    I was expecting this pedal to be completely transparent. On the lower notes it more or less is, but on higher notes it seems to emphasize some of the upper harmonics, giving the sustained note this weird shimmer to it that I actually like a lot, probably more than if it were truly transparent. In other words, it sounds exactly like the sustain function on the HOG. In retrospect, I don't know why I expected anything different, but whatever

Overall: 7/10
    When I first ordered this pedal, I didn't have very high expectations. Not in the sense that I thought it would be bad, just that I bought it as a tool, not something that would radically change my tone. I got it as something that could be a neat addition to a song, and that would be cool for some melodic solo bass stuff. And in short, it does everything I wanted and expected it to do, no more, no less.

So, if you like the sustain mode on the HOG but don't have a ton of cash or don't need all those extra features, this is a great little pedal.

BTW, I know a lot of people wanted an expression pedal input to control the level. Honestly, I'd just get a Third Hand and put it on the level knob. It's not as elegant as an Expression In jack, but it'll do the same thing.

2. snogaws

snogaws

Nice review. I just bought one of these on the bay today. Can't wait to try it out!

3. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    Personally, I would have liked expression control similar to the HOG in that it would control volume, and at heel down would continuously resample until the treadle was moved. Thanks for the review! :)

4. xfredrikx

xfredrikx

Does it take away any low end? And, does it trigger on low notes?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I does not take away low end .... it reproduces exactly what you send it ( good or bad )

It triggers when you step on the switch.... no velocity triggering or anything like that

Here is mine ... modded to be more "live gig" friendly

[​IMG]

7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

OH!

I'm doing the same thing... but without the goodyear wheel... Exact fit? Where did you got it from, sir?
    :hyper:

8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Actually it is 2 tires from a couple of different toy cars ....

The tire from this one fits on the original freeze knob ....
    [​IMG]
    Its a Funtime toy ....(Wal-mart) you have to trim the rubber from the inside of the tire but it fits perfectly. (I one of these tires on the high octave knob on my Micro POG as well )

I had this one tire alone for a while & it works pretty good but the bigger one is easier to feel in the dark.

The "goodyear" tire is from a larger a die cast Nascar model & fit over the smaller tire

I used 2 computer motherboard standoff's to extend the toggle switch ... :)

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Thank you Kugel and darknut!
    VERY useful pedal, a must for anyone in a trio.