1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The EMG 's JAZZ BASS Tribe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Aug 29, 2013.

1. damos

damos

the common point between Alex al ethan Farmer and Maurice Fitzgerald is that they all play on EMG pickups with vintage jazz bass. it is a good combination for the funk
    are there any users of vintage jazz bass with emg here?

Thanks

2. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I'd say that an emg system in there would pretty much negate the vintage'ness of the instrument... Not that it would sound bad at all but it kind of defeats the purpose of a vintage instrument

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

I did that, and it negates the buzz problem that J-basses normally have, and gave me more headroom. I personally like the tone. It doesn't sound like the vintage pickups, but that's okay for me as I think J-Basses don't have enough output when they're stock.

4. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I've got a PJ with emg's. I like them so much I'm thinking of putting them in my 2000 jazz. Is that vintage yet?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

I bought my '72 for $300 in '86. It's got a badass II bridge, EMGs and a brass nut. It came with the original pickups. I loaned them to a friend and he lost them. I loved the EMGs back then, but nowadays I'd love to try the originals....

7. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

if you use the EMG JVX model, they sound pretty much like classic Jazz Bass without the hum, at least to my untrained ears.

8. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Tried EMGs ten of times. Just cannot like them. The last experience was with my Ibanez Roadster RS824. The previous owner had installed the EMGs instead of the original ones. It sounded thin and there were holes in frequences. Changed back to the original pickups - Wow, just wow! The sound was SO MUCH better!!! :)

9. damos

damos

Ok
    But a lot of great session studio bassist use EMG in vintage jazz like Guy Pratt or Alex Al
    So EMG are not so bad...

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz

The audio is not the best, but its a jazz style with emg's.

I plan on putting the new J5's in my lakland DJ5. I might make my own preamp though.

11. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

For me EMGs sound sterile. It may suit some players' style but even if I tried hard they are not for me.

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Replacing the tone control in my SX Jazz with a BTC. Does that count?

13. damos

damos

hello
    Here a sample of EMG in a vintage JAZZ BASS

The sound is not sterile in a good bass
    What do you think ?

Thanks

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My experience with EMG's that they don't sound vintage to me at all. But they sound really damn good. Neither have an issue with low output. I have them in 2 of my basses. Vintage is straight up single coils which sound really good. I have a set of single coil Bartolini's (and Bart preamp) in my Fender Jazz and that bass just smokes!

15. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

yeah I like em

16. damos

damos

Hi
    Alex Al interview in Bassplayer about M Jackson this is it :

"But one day I happened to pick up my Jazz Bass on “Criminal”—and it sounded so much funkier, everyone stopped and said, That’s what you should play!"

’75 Jazz Bass (maple neck with EMG pickups),