The Epiphone Thunderbird Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 1, 2012.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  2. EssJay

EssJay

Took my bird into the shop today to get a setup done and my 50-115 gauge strings put on in C standard tuning, should get it back in a few days. The shop needs to hurry up though, I wanna play it now!

3. Disfncnl1

Disfncnl1

Just Got my Epi Pro V today. It needs a good set up but out of the box it doesn't sound half bad.

Attached Files:

4. EssJay

EssJay

I got mine back from the shop the other day and she sounds mean in C tuning. Just need to get myself a small army of birds for different tunings now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. auraigroup

auraigroup

clean up this thunderbird I recently purchased. Neck trussrod needed a few cranks but is straight now, new strings intonation adjusted...hope to play it in band live later this week;)

Attached Files:

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Looks like a less beat-up version of my Epi NR. Nice looking burst!

8. finlover

finlover

I recently played a sunburst Epi T-Bird IV at a Guitar Center and was shocked by the build quality and playability for the price. I just won this Alpine White beauty on eBay and I'm already planning a few mods: Hipshot cloverleaf Ultralites, Gibson truss rod cover and chrome pickup rings for a more vintage look. Does anyone happen to know the p/u ring sizes? Obviously, I could just wait to measure them when the bass arrives, but I'd sure like to get them on order so they'll get here around the same time as the bass. Or are the stock pickups total junk? Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

The pickup rings should be the same as standard guitar humbucker rings. The pickups are the same size as guitar pickups.

10. finlover

finlover

Thanks, Tender Prey!

Looking at the photo of the back of the bass I was pleasantly surprised that the strap button location on this one has been moved to the neck plate--no more neck dive!!:hyper:

Attached Files:

11. Mark4

Mark4

Awesome! I look forward to seeing pictures when it's done. The chrome rings should look great.

I had a similar reaction when I played a sunburst Epi, so I bought it. The pickups sound good to me, so they're not going anywhere, but YMMV. If you don't like the sound of yours, then swap them out.

12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    You might check the Thunderbird club threads as well, there are several nicely modified Epi's and some good pics on placement of the Hipshot tuners.

13. finlover

finlover

Thanks, Mark4! I'll make sure to take plenty of photos. Glad to hear the stock pickups sound good. I'm sure pickup height and amp settings can make a world of difference. I almost ordered the Hipshot bridge for it, but I think I'll wait and see if it sets up okay without it. I plan to string it up with flatwounds and play mostly vintage country with it so I don't really need tons of sustain.

A friend of mine has a creamy white Firebird which looks amazing! I'm hoping that the T-Bird will be a little bit off- white as well and not bright white. Is the pickguard logo on yours engraved or just printed on?

Attached Files:

14. finlover

finlover

Thanks, TBird1958! Wow, your band is incredible--and what a great bass player you are! Those Duran Duran basslines are no picnic; not just any schlub could pull those off! I've been a Jazz Bass player forever but you have confirmed that Thunderbirds can handle any style of music, not just rock.

Are all of your T-Birds Gibsons or are there a few Epis in your collection? Also do I spy a Firebird pickguard on one of them?
    I've always admired the Thunderbird look, but I never realized they could play and sound so good!

Fender might be a dirty word in this group, but just for fun here's a link to a post about my '65 Jazz:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/story-my-65-jazz-bass-670349/

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Thank you for the kind words about my band, I'm very lucky in that we have an excellent drummer and guitarist - they make my job a lot easier! I have several Gibsons in my collection along with a Lull, Orville, Greco, BaCH, Burny, Jackson and of course Epiphone 'Birds. Some of them have custom PG's that I've made and there's one that is chrome plated steel as well.
    I've heard lots of good comments about the Epi chrome pickups, (they're different than the standard S/B's pups) and I'd give them a real good try before replacing them. Besides, upgrading the pups could easily cost you more than what you paid for the whole bass!
    When your bass arrives post us some pics in the Thunderbird club thread, we have lots of Epiphones there too :bassist:

Here's my Epiphone....kind of a "Fenderbird now.

[​IMG]

16. finlover

finlover

SWEET!! That's the best looking Fenderbird I've ever seen! Nice idea to use a lefty neck--the reverse headstock looks more balanced (and more 'bird-like). Is that the metallic red "limited edition" or a bright red repaint? I like how you painted the truss rod cover to match.

My OCD is flaring up again and I'm wondering about the T-Bird logo on the pickguard on mine. From the photos it looks less bold than earlier Epi 'birds, like the lines are thinner. Check out my white one compared with the beautiful blue one below. Also is the logo engraved or just printed on? And if the older pgs have a bolder logo would you be willing to sell me one of your Epi take-offs? Sorry for all the questions!

Attached Files:

17. mav

mav

Thought I'd post some pics of my modded Epi Goth.
    Lollar pickups and Thunderbucker ranch pup rings.
    Had to get the body routed to fit the pickups and my luthier informed me that the body was not solid mahogany but laminated. Still sounds mighty tho.:smug: Nice low action. :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

19. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

20. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Just curious about jow others have tried to correct the neckdive issue... The bodies on these basses are quite light, so I was wondering if anyone has added some counterweight to the body itself?

I picked up an Epi Goth from another TBer and will be making a project out of it... also wondering if I change the body and neck shape somewhat, would you guys still consider it a Thunderbird?

I've got lots of ideas and plan to post a project thread on the forum and maybe call the final product a "TB Custom" or something... the name works in multiple ways ;)

21. Bass_Drummer

Bass_Drummer

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to playing bass (I'm a drummer for life) and have only been playing for a couple of months. I'm borrowing my uncles schecter diamond series bass and am looking to buy my own ^^^in the near future (a couple of months) I tried out over 40 bass guitars at my local shop and I fell ^^^in love with the epiphone thunderbird IV ^^^in sunburst vintage. Love the varied tones, the light feel and the neck is suited for my fingers. But people told me to stay away from this is a beginner because it's a different shap to normal basses, and ofcourse a case could set me back $200. But guys, I dunno what it is, it's just an awesome guitar, and none of the other guitars felt like this.

so I wanted to ask you guys, since I think you would know alot about them considering the thread title. Is this "allowed" to be a guitar for all skill levels? And can the thunderbird fit into any case it's size? (by the way can someone tell me it's size ^^^in cm?) and is it customizable, As in, replaceable pickups, pickguards etc.

It would really be appreciated I'd you could help me out. Cheers guys