1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Essential

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by necropain, Nov 25, 2012.

1. necropain

necropain

heres the question

What do you think are the essential pedals that will allow you to play any kind of music and i mean any.

here are the specifics
    1. i dont want any of this "well technically you dont need anything except a tuner and or maybe compressor" crap. i know that already.
    2. i want specific pedal names not for example "tremolo and delay" no say something like Tremollessence and Memory Man
    3. i want the signal chain listed aswell

Thank you for you participation

2. J03YW

J03YW

Here's the most recommended signal chain I've ever come across ever. Korg Tuner -> Compressor of some sort, I don't use one but most people do -> Bass Big Muff Fuzz -> Sansamp Bass Driver DI-> amp

3. noisetherapy

noisetherapy

what this guy said...

essentials for my chain

Boss Chromatic > Diamond Bass Comp > Boss Bass Overdrive (awaiting B3K) > Sansamp Para Driver DI (I needed something more versatile in the studio than just a bass driver)

4. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    If you're looking for something that will allow you to play any style....you just need a good multi.....like the Zoom B2 or Boss GT-10B. Or try your hand in a laptop, Guitar Rig 5, an Audio Interface, and a Midi Controller.

The thing about pedals is that you pretty much have to figure out what sound you want, narrow it down, and then pick a pedal. You won't find many that do it all.

For example, I love the B3K, but it doesn't fit my band. It's too....modern sounding....or more like punk or metal....whereas the Swell B-Peg I'm using is more vintage sounding.

So if we're going for insanely versatile, I'd say one of those two multis I named.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eddododo

eddododo

Now... Do you want a short/economic list, or are you talking elaborate completeness?
    Or are you talking fantasy pedalboard

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Hm. Bare minimum board to survive any musical situation...

TC PolyTune tuner > MXR M87 bass envelope filter > Electro Harmonix Big Bass Muff Pi > Boss SYB-5 synth pedal

For a lot of popular music, you could play naked. For funky sounds, stomp the envelope filter. For heavier rock sounds, hit the Muff Pi. For synth-bass sounds ranging from Michael Jackson to today's pop hits, step on the SYB-5.

I think you could survive any surprise gig on just these.

I would think you'd want to go beyond mere survival, though, and get the items that best suited the kinds of music that interest you most.

8. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Why would you want to be able to play any kind of music and i mean any.

You are asking for specific pedals, by brand and model, for something nebulous.

"How long is a piece of string?"

9. TeraGerner

TeraGerner

I tend to think picking your pedal is quite a personal experience..you gotta 'feel' it right, as kind of 'that's my girl!' so outside advice can be quite frivolous, but if you want my two cents Line 6 M13 Multi works well for me. It is chock full of more than 100 of the most popular stompbox effects. I also love the high quality build and the awesome design. Worth a look in my book. You can read more about it and others in my guitar effects pedals review blog.

10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

All dependent on the situation of course but a nice "coverall" would be a multi-effect as mentioned before. It's like a one size fits all shirt: it may be a little short or too big but it will do. Personally I always bring my entire board (even to an acoustic gig: did so about a week ago) as it has all my essentials and more if need be. For an intermission I played Legend of Zelda using a Boss OC-2( set to -1 OCT full, direct at 9:00)> Behringher BSY-600 (set to mode 4 for that nice square NES sound)> and WMD Geiger Counter(set to waveform 08 with a sample rate at 3:30 for an even more lo-fi sound...then we played an acoustic version of Smoke 2 Joints by Sublime.

11. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Aside from the easy answer of a multi effects box...

IMO, you can do most of everything you want with three pedals: tuner, EQ w/ overdrive (Aguilar Tone Hammer, for instance), compressor. Everything else is gravy or you can accomplish acceptable results with how you play.

Of course, if you're talking session playing or a cover band across many genres, I think the following would have you covered:
    Phaser or Flanger or Chorus to taste (ie, short time delay for fattening the sound)
    Distortion/Fuzz (heavy rock)
    Envelope Filter (Funk)
    Octave/Synth for electronic music
    Volume pedal, especially if live

That's it, should be able to get solid workable sounds for any genre with those 8 pedals. You might not get the perfect sound, but you won't have any gaps in types of sounds that you couldn't reproduce that you would be expected to.

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Essentially all you need is just a tuner and maybe a compressor. Some people like chorus a lot but personally, I couldn't live without fuzz. You're welcome! :)

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    This...
    [​IMG]

+ this...
    [​IMG]

+ this...
    [​IMG]

+ this...
    [​IMG]

+ this...
    [​IMG]

Since this is for "all" music then you'd be well covered, whether it's a quiet jazz gig at a wine bar or in the pit of a symphony orchestra. Nothing says "Baroque" more to the audience than some flanged triplet delays and a bit of fuzz.