"THE EVOLVING ROLE OF THE ELECTRIC BASS IN JAZZ: HISTORY AND PEDAGOGY"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

2. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

I wonder what's the best way to read this; just read it on the screen, print it up, or seek a copy from the publisher. This would be a great volume to have.
  3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Interesting read, good resource, though based on one view and an American sensibility on the development of the instrument........with a few glaring omissions. Good read and it helped pass my morning.
  4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

LOL sometimes sitting in cars, vans, planes, venues and hotels leaves times to read,

http://youtu.be/g5pkHnCCEQo

which sometimes not the case at home.

http://youtu.be/XX4qrcAOqBU

Totally agree that all opinions are needed.....if not heeded by all. :)
  5. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Cool. Thanks for posting that.
  6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

LOL The only water that makes a difference are the ones that surround use....the isolation leads to many variation in all walks of life that the UK enjoys from the rest of Europe.

Being small in size the UK seemed to concentrate and magnify music skills....almost amplify the experience.....well it did I would say until the arrival of the internet and Youtube.

Youtube has cut off the isolation, so now the need to think for oneself is reduced, the need to imagine what is happening when you hear music has been replaced with the need to see.
    When I was growing up the only thing we say to learn from was the scores or the books
    When I listened to music I had no idea how the sounds where being created so we experimented and if it sounded right then it was right.....even if we were getting it visually wrong or playing it wrong, it was right because it sounded right.

The need to develop is up there with the need to learn, but developing is taking an idea or lesson further...many players/students seem to be into collecting lessons/ideas and teachings as the way forward so they are quite shallow in what they can actually do with it.
    Where as taking a few lessons/ideas and teachings and developing them to the full potential within you will bring better results. :)