1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArchStanton, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ArchStanton

ArchStanton

I just received my Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass yesterday and didn't see an existing club, so I decided to start one :)

I bought mine used for $240 in what appears to be very good condition. It even has an upgraded bridge (Schaller Roller).

I played it for a few hours through an Ampeg SVX in Pro Tools and I like it overall. Some possible additions down the road include flatwound strings, tortoise shell pickguard, bridge/pickup covers, thumbrest, and a coil tap.

Member List

1. ArchStanton
    2. ih8law
    3. RadioactiveGuy4
    4. Transistor Bass
    5. Lukejt
    6. Bethelbass1
    7. [DEL]FourBass[/DEL]
    8. [DEL]billlozon[/DEL]
    9. [DEL]ExistentialJ[/DEL]
    10. Nick_2112

Unconfirmed/Excluded

chuck norriss
    neren
    aaaaeahk
    Tony Young
    Kappa

Attached Files:

• Bass.jpg
      Bass.jpg
      File size:
      162.4 KB
      Views:
  2. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

At $240 that's a steal of a good deal for that bass! I've got one that I really like:

[​IMG]

I like it just the way it is stock (except the strings, which I replaced with the kind I regularly use).

3. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

I had to wait 6 months to get mine in sunburst but it is now my go to bass.

4. Transistor Bass

Transistor Bass

Here's mine. Bought it the week they went on sale (October 2011) No complaints from me
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lukejt

Lukejt Supporting Member

$240 wow! I've got one and I'm in love with it. Replaced the strings with hi beams, awesome. Lots of compliments on the tone. Easy to play, very well built. Great feel. My go to bass for the time being. :)

7. Bethelbass1

Bethelbass1

I bought mine as a sort of impulse buy. I was picking up and trying out my new pf-500 and 210 Ampeg cab when I saw the sunburst on the wall. It sounded great through the new amp and I personally liked the sound and feel more than all the other fender basses hanging on the wall. A steal even at retail price IMHO.

Attached Files:

8. Kappa

Kappa

Picked this up on Thursday. It's not a jazz but a modern player nonetheless. Sounds great and the neck is simply outstanding!

Fender Modern Player Jaguar

[​IMG]

9. Tony Young

Tony Young

I play a 62' P Bass with a big fat neck and love it.
    Now I am trying to put together a Fender Jazz Bass with a skinny (A or B neck).
    I've searched the internet, and they all seem to be "C" radius.
    I found one made in Japan "A" neck, but lost the bid.
    Is there anyone out there who can help me find a skinny Jazz neck ?
    thank you,
    Tony Young

10. FourBass

FourBass

I have a Modern Player Jazz in 3 color sunburst that I bought from GC in June 2012.It's a really nice playing & sounding bass that I really like & alot of bass for the money.I can't do pictures as I don't own a camera. Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass Club #7

11. billlozon

billlozon

Just plunked down my $ for a Sunburst Jazz this afternoon and got a call a few minutes ago from my dealer - Andy Babiuk's FabGear - that Fender's saying end of June for delivery... dammit. Guess I'll wait since I'm not "moved" by the transparent black or arctic white versions. :crying:

12. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

[​IMG]

I'm in - I absolutely LOVE mine - I sold my MIM's and my ibby sixer doesn't get played much anymore. I paid full retail, and still consider it a bargain.

Tuned BEAD (just opened up the nut a bit to accomodate the B string), I can dial in every tone I need. Strung with D'Addario ProSteels.

Took a can of gloss white spray to the B/W/B stock pickguard, and slapped on some ultra-thin faux MOP inlays.

Maybe I just got lucky, but this Chinese Fender is far better than any MIM Fender I've owned in terms of build quality and playability. It's certainly not equal to a USA Fender, but I also didn't spend north of a grand on it...

Funny, almost every gig I play, I get approached by another bassist wanting to know if it's some kind of Custom Shop bass. I get compliments on the tone and the vibe all the time.

Scungilli likes this.
  13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Rad.

Where on earth do you find one for 240?

14. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

I paid $499 new at GC over a year ago...and feel like I got away with something. If there's one out there for $240...jump all over that.

15. ArchStanton

ArchStanton

I got mine used at Guitar Center for $240. Talked them down from $300.

What do you think about the humbuckers? I was a little skeptical at first, but I like them. No hum and twice the fun.

Here's a quick little video I made for fun of me playing my new bass.

http://youtu.be/-8GPO805iRA

16. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

Great clip!

$240 is nothing short of criminally insane for such a great bass. I bought mine new at GC.

The pickups are what make this bass, for me anyway. I was also skeptical, but found that they provided EXACTLY the tonal range I was looking for.

That being said, I did have to go through a few sets of strings to find a set that made sense. I wasn't crazy about the stock strings, threw on a set of chrome flats. I love flats, but they sounded awful. I eventually settled on D'Addario ProSteels...and they sound fantastic. I know string selection is a TOTALLY subjective issue, I just found that the flats totally killed the range I was looking for, and anticipated, with these pickups.

Also, I was REALLY suprised that I was able to string this bass to BEAD with zero slop or loss of tone on the B string. The B on this Fender is stronger than that on my Ibanez 6'er - same scale length, but sounds and feels better. Go figure.

The ONLY downside to this bass, IMO, is the weight. If you're considering one of these, try it out if at all possible first...it takes a little getting used to.

I'm still slackjawed that such a nice bass came out of a Chinese Factory...

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

A lot more mids than I typically use but not a show stopper. I like the high output and clarity for sure. The mids can be dealt with. Awesome necks.

I dig the white pg on white.
    If I see one at GC used ill pounce on it no matter the color.

18. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

So, are we giving out numbers here?

19. neren

neren

Anyone pick up the transparent black version? I think it looks sexy online, haven't seen it in person yet though.

20. Lukejt

Lukejt Supporting Member

I've got one. Will take pics later. Looks great! Does show finger prints easily, but not a big deal. Super bass.

21. ArchStanton

ArchStanton

So, how does the numbering thing work? Am I supposed to assign them or do the members just assign themselves?

And I guess owning a Fender MP J Bass is what gets you in, but what if the post don't specify if they own one or not?

One person owns an MP Jaguar, not Jazz. I thought about including all the MP basses, but I figured Jazz was better...