The Fender Super Bassman 300 thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tim1, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Tim1

Tim1

I am starting this thread in response to requests from some of us on the 100T thread. As usual, interest will determine its longevity.
    Having owned a Fender Bassman 100T for six months I was sufficiently impressed to purchase a new Super Bassman 300 recently. I initially expected only to use it on larger gigs, but I am finding more and more that I appreciate the headroom and the sheer power and weight that it provides at the bottom end. Might well be something to do with the 6550s as opposed to the 6L6s of the 100T as well as the extra watts, since the preamp is the same. As with the 100T, using the overdrive channel as an EQ without blending in the overdrive gives it huge tonal flexibility - in fact the random settings mine had when I first switched it on gave me a tone virtually identical to my old SVT VR into the same cabinet. I also find it surprisingly easy to carry for 300 tube watts.
    I have a Fender neo 610 cab which handles the SB300 well at reasonably loud volumes, but I really enjoy the amp into my Bergantino NV215 which takes full advantage of the extra weight behind the notes that the SB300 provides. The neo 610 still sounds great but seems to emphasise the mids a tad more (not quite sure about this though). The neo 610 with the 100T though is an absolutely perfect match IMO.
    Anyway, here it is - a thread for the growing numnber of us with these fantastic amps, so we can share questions, ideas , settings, thoughts etc.
    Hawaii Islander likes this.
  2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

How does the SB300 sit on the Berg NV? is there a lot of overhang on both sides?
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Wow! That's saying alot IMO. I had a US made SVT-VR not too long ago, and it was the best bass tone I have ever heard. The only reason I sold it was the 85 pound weight.

I also used to have a Fender 300 Pro all-tube head. I wonder if the new Fender that you have sounds like the Pro version, or did Fender do something different for the new one versus the Pro version? (other than cosmetics). I ask because I don't recall the Pro that I had sounding exactly like the SVT-VR that I had.
  4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    just picked up a SB300 yesterday after running a 100T for almost 2 mos. ( imo, a totally different animal, but with a lot of similarities, obviously )

have only run it thru a 3hour rehearsal, & i've found the tone i've been seeking & trying to replicate with microamps/pedals

hoping to get more time in on it soon as i didn't even explore the OD channel
  5. rodl2005

rodl2005

Just for us s & g's & of course gas relieving purposes, could one please provide a list of specs for said amp?
    Weight, eq etc...
  6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    General

Model Name: Super Bassman®
    Series: Bassman® PRO
    Amplifier Type: Tube
    Color / MSRP* / Part # :
    Black/Silver
    $2,399.99
    224-9000-000
    Electronics

Effects Loop: PreAmp Out / Power Amp In
    Inputs: Two
    Line Out: XLR (Pre/Post) w/ Level and Ground Lift
    Extension Speaker Jack: Yes
    Channels: 2 - Vintage, Overdrive (footswitchable)
    Rectifier: SS (Solid-State, Silicon Diode)
    Controls: Vintage - VOL, BASS (pull DEEP), MID, TREBLE (pull BRIGHT); Overdrive - GAIN, BLEND, VOL, BASS (pull DEEP), MID FREQ, MID LVL, TREBLE (pull BRIGHT); MASTER (pull MUTE)
    Hardware

Hardware: Nickel Corners (Notched)
    Cabinet Material: Plywood
    Pilot Light Jewel: Yes
    Handle: Spring Loaded Handles
    Front Panel: Metal, Painted
    Frequency Response: <10Hz - 22kHz (-3dB)
    Input Impedance: >820k (INPUT 1), 136k (INPUT 2), 43k (PWR AMP IN)
    Output Impedance: 220 ohm (PREAMP OUT)
    Sensitivity: 12mVrms (INPUT 1), 1Vrms (PWR AMP IN) @ 100Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 95dB (Power amp), 46dB (Preamp)
    Amplifier Length: 13.5" (34.3 cm)
    Amplifier Width: 24.5" (62.2 cm)
    Amplifier Height: 10" (25.4 cm)
    Amplifier Weight: 65 lbs. (29.48 kg)
    Speakers

Speaker Impedance: Selectable 8, 4, or 2 Ohms
    Tubes

Preamp Tubes: 2x12AX7; 1x12AX7 + 1x12AT7 (Power Amp)
    Power Tubes: 6 X 6550
    Miscellaneous

Unique Features: Speaker Output 'Mute' for silent recording and Fender Automatic Bias for output tube monitoring/adjustment
    Accessories

Footswitch: Vintage 1-button (P/N 0057172000)
    Knobs: Black (w/ Chrome Insert), w/ 1-10, Set Screw
  7. DerekP

DerekP

I'd love to see some other owners eq settings.
    Here's what I've been setting the drive channel to lately
    Gain 7 blend 7 volume 3.5 bass 3 frequency a touch under 8 mid a touch over 7 treble 4 master volume 4 that's with a fender p-bass into the fender 4x10 neo at rehearsals.
  8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Loooove my SB 300 !!!

Anyone changed their 12AX7 in those beasts as of this date ??? Thinking of swapping a few on the overdrive channel side only.
  9. Tim1

Tim1

jastacey, the SB300 sits almost perfectly on the Bergantino NV215. There is a slight overhang but it is barely noticeable. I did briefly contemplate re-doing the grille on the Berg with Fender cloth as the tolex is a perfect match but hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Oh my, I just can imagine all the tube goodness going through the NV215 !!! I would really like to try that combination !!!
  11. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'd also be interested in hearing comparisons between the Super Bassman and the 300 Pro. I love my 300 Pro to death and don't plan on going back to an SVT (I'm spoiled by the Pro) so I could always use something else to GAS for. :p
  12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

I had the Sunn 300T a few years back. A superb amp to be honest !!!! The overdrive channel is what makes the difference with the Sunn 300T / Pro 300 in my opinion. Volume wise, both very comparable, lots of EQ knobs and compression adjustment on the Sunn 300T which in the end, gives great flexibility. Honestly, two great Tone beasts !!! i do find that I get more mid growl with the Super Bassman, but this is just my own opinion and with the type of bass I currently play.
  13. Tim1

Tim1

I have only played a 300 Pro a couple of times, and that was a few years ago, so I can only comment based on impressions. Frankly I did not find the EQ on the 300Pro very user friendly, although I am sure that with more time I would have mastered it. Certainly the preamp on the SB300 seems to be a different circuit, and to my mind is a lot more intuitive to use. I cannot comment on the power amp circuitry but my impression is that the SB300 is a very different beast to my limited experience of the 300Pro.
    Perhaps a techie or someone from Fender might chip in and enlighten us?
  14. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    My impression was that the SB300 had a different preamp with a familiar power section but I haven't had any first hand experience yet. I'd agree that it looks a lot more user friendly. It took me a long time, a few cabs, and a footswitch purchase to really use everything my 300 Pro has to offer. Even then, it feels pretty meticulous honing a certain voice from the amp.
  15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

You are right in saying that the EQ section was a little intimidating. That is why I prefer the SB 300 over the Sunn 300T myself !
  16. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1
    The 300 pro is a VERY versatile & loud amp.
    Heavy, but as it's weight's distributed pretty evenly,I didn't find it hard to shlep.
    I found I could dial in virtually any tone with it's extensive eq & comp.

The SB300 being 20lbs lighter & a simpler eq just tugs my gas-strings. I'm digging my Traynor YBA300 tho, so I dunno WHY I even LOOK at t this thread :(
  17. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the Fender with an SVT II non-pro? I assume the Fender is much more versatile, but, can it get that big huge SVT sound?
  18. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with the Traynor YBA 300 either which is also an excellent amp! Yes, the EQ section in the SB 300 is very easy to use, as the Traynor YBA 300. I just found the growl I was looking for in the SB 300 that I could not get in the Traynor, but that is just my own opinion!
  19. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Can someone tell me where these are made?
  20. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Mexico.