1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

The Few, the Proud, the Cowpokes. (official Fender Cowpoke club)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metallicafan18, Jan 13, 2009.

1. You know who you are if ya got one! I'l give out numbers, just pm and leave a reply. Post the year of your bass, and pics!!

I'll start and take number 1.
    [​IMG]
    1994!!

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hey,

I just noticed that those things have a 22 fret neck. Hmm, how are the necks on those things, closer to a p or a j?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. It's a J neck. Amazing neck.

5. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
  6. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    What's the going rate on these? There was one at a local pawn shop, not sure if it's still there, for $150 IIRC, pretty beat-up though (needs some electronic work, crack in the finish only [?] at the heel, etc), that the guy said he would sell for $100, and I said I'd think about it.

7. BUY IT! Not a whole lot of those out there, and they're worth a whole lot more than 100 clams, even if it does need a bit of work. Nice basses, too :cool:

You could probably flip it for a nice profit pretty easily.

8. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    may i ask why you guys call it a cowpoke?

9. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Disclosures:
    Isn't it obvious? :smug:

10. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    not alarmingly no... Then again it's probably a yank thing that i won't understand...

that or i'm being incredibly dense!

11. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Disclosures:
  12. Knobby

Knobby

Feb 23, 2001
    Oregon
    Not sure of the year...

#MN415887

[​IMG][/IMG]

13. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    I'm really not seeing it! Nevermind :p

14. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i don't get it either... unless they're talking about the pick guard looking like a spot on a cow :confused:

15. That "cowpoke" phrase was coined by my old friend Bovinehost over on the old Dudepit. He had one and thought the pickguard made the bass look like something a country western bassist might use.

Now ya know.;)

16. Kemet09

Kemet09

Oct 29, 2004
    Chi-Ca-Go
    I too am clueless.. Looks like a Stu Hamm/Tele that brought over the Kubuki controls from the 90's

17. so what is the bass actually, like who makes it, and what does it usually go for?

18. metallicafan18-#1
    TeamTrejo-#2
    Knobby-#3

19. It's made by Fender. They don't make them anymore. It's was a mid 90's production of the current Precision Active Special bass. I bought mine for $275 used. I don't know how much they usually go for.

20. Man I had one of these...............You're right about the Kubicki controls. This is a Mexi Fender P Special from the mid nineties. 22 fret neck, slightly smaller body than a standard P. I really like the look of these basses and had no complaints about the playability.