The "Fun and Affordable Cosmetic Upgrades" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman_al, Aug 22, 2012.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Thought it would be fun to post people's cosmetic upgrades. I gave a 2010 MIM J-bass that is very shiny. It's mated with a 2007 fretless MIM neck in great shape. But the neck plate was pretty scratched up. I found this Jaco holographic image neck plate. Shiny new on E-bay for $12 shipped. It looks great. But it was hard to photo because of the reflection issue...

What you got? Hope you enjoy the thread...

image-1573715775.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Russell L

Russell L

Still thinking about putting a pickguard on my '87 Jazz bass Special, and chrome hardware. (I know, I know). Haven't done anything yet, though. It's just that the bass is black, headstock, body, bridge, tuners, knobs, everything but the rosewood fingerboard and the back of the neck. When it's sitting on its stand I can only see a silhouette, lol. I want to SEE it!
  3. bassman_al

Wow, that is a black bass! Nice thing about TB is that you can always pick up that kind of stuff used here, and if you don't like it, sell it for about what you paid. But you have probably already thought of that...
  4. Darren Low

Darren Low

I just got myself one of these too. Very cool

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm in.

Bridge and pickup covers, and tolexed the pickguard. This is my "cheapie" backup bass, but gets a ton of looks.
    [​IMG]

Then there's this one. Needs a new neck so it's a wall hanging for now.
    [​IMG]
  6. bassman_al

Love those basses! Especially the Rolex pick guard. Cool idea.
  7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    I've debated on the tolex thing on all my guards. Both of my main P's are tele style, and the pickguards look great with the tolex. Just having a hard time convincing myself to tolex my $1400 Fender. Might have to order (or cut) a replacement guard and put the original away.
  8. Bongolation

Bongolation

As you've probably noticed, I'm generally a staunch advocate of leaving stuff stock, but when I decided to get a new matching pair of last-run [?] Highway Ones, a P & a J in 3CSB as beater gigging basses, a careful polish-out of the "dry" nitro lacquer and tortoiseshell pickguards (and a lot of benchtime) made them into remarkably nice faux-vintage instruments.

The irony is that no sooner did I do this than I had an accident with my fretting hand that ended by gigging forever.

Isn't life hilarious?
  9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    I feel your pain. I've got the best basses I've ever owned right now, but a back injury took me out a few years ago. I'm not in a band right now, but hopefully that will change. Either way, my hardcore gigging days are over, no more than once or twice a month these days.
  10. bassman_al

Rip and Bongo, my heart goes out to both of you! Sorry to hear that you guys are not able to play as much anymore. I keep wondering when/if that will happen to me. That would really be hard...

Happy Thanksgiving all the same. Peace.