1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Future of Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stainlesslav, Feb 23, 2014.

1. stainlesslav

stainlesslav

2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I doubt either of those designs will catch on.
  3. scuzzy

scuzzy

i want to play that stainless steel bass. probably heavy though.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Meh. Both basses look like they were developed by Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

Meanwhile, P and J basses keep selling. There may be a clue in that.
  5. Jefff

Jefff

I would like a go a the Stash.
  6. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

nope....not for me anyway!! music really needs to go back to it's roots in order to move forward in my opinion....
  7. Jefff

Jefff

What roots are you speaking of? How far back?

10 years?, 50?, 100?. Sooner or later change happens whether we like it or not.
  8. Plectrum72

Plectrum72

If I had $3K available to splurge on a new bass that I can't try before I buy, I'd rock the hell out of a Stash. Of course, I could also get an Ampeg V-4B, an Ampeg SVT-610 HLF, and a Fender Deluxe P-bass Special all brand new for that price too. Now if only I had $3K burning a hole in my pocket I'd have one dilemma of a choice to make. :bassist:
  9. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The one major innovation I've seen that seems really interesting is the pickup system on light wave basses. But those have been around for years now, right? It seems the basic design is here to stay.
  10. zontar

zontar

I read their magazine every month online.
    I've seen these, and hopefully these are at most-part of the future, not the entire future.

I can see them having some use, to some people.
  11. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

The weight, per the web site specs, is 10 lbs. It depends on what one feels as heavy, and it very well can be. Aren't a lot of Alder/ash basses near that, with all the gewgaws, gimcracks, bells & whistles?
  12. Bongolation

Bongolation

What kills me is how oblivious people are to the fact that in 2014, most music is still being made on guitars and basses that have not materially changed in at least fifty years.

There obviously is no need for "the future" in guitars and basses.

[The fork evolution of the neither-fish-nor-fowl "modern bass guitar" is an exception, but it is a third instrument, performing an entirely new role.]

"The Future" is in signal processing, not the instruments themselves. The progress of digital processing and recording has been stunningly revolutionary, while the musicians themselves are still pounding away on sixty-year-old-design instruments.
  13. GK Growl

GK Growl

The future of bass? - P bass with/flats.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

With "modern bass guitar" on the effects track.

There's your future...to the extent it's not all done on keys into a VSTi, which will probably be the case, to the extent it isn't already.

Dead serious.
  15. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Amazing to me how almost all other technology has changed except for musical instruments (excluding keys and recording).

Gibson and Fender's self tuning guitars were miserable failures, Ernie Ball's Game-changer didn't really change anything and Lightwave and Line6 stuff didn't really catch on.

I work in high tech and love the latest and greatest, but I have tried all or most of the above and still love my "normal" gear.
  16. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

17. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

You know what the Stash looks like to me? The stuff I see on the Lightsaber builder's fora.
  18. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

That was a waste of time.
  19. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Um, I think that in 2014 most music is being made on computers using samples that were recorded 20 years ago from guitars and bases that have not materially changed in 50 years.;)
  20. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

That tubular neck looks like loads of fun. :rollno:
    I have a feeling that there's not a lot of money flowing thru the pentagon for a better bass design-- or we'd be able to blow up war planes with our deep low freq by now…:meh:

fnord!