1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Future of Blackberry etc........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Red Planet, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Hi All,

First I must confess I have been using a BB since they came out and have yet to convince myself to let go. I like the keyboard what can I say and no a virtual Qwerty is not the same as a real one.

Anywho anyone using the Q10?

I'm up for a new unit in May and trying to decide which way to go.

Also anyone seen any of this talk of Boeing buying Blackberry and making Black Phones as in ultra secure. Evidently BB's are known for their high security and the others not so secure???????

2. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Hey man, whatever happened to the Palm Pilot and do you think it's really necessary to get a computer with a sound card. Really? I think the Dali Lama has an ultra secure Blackberry taped on to his scuba gear.

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

You are correct about the BB being very secure. They will stay in business as long as the Gov't continues to have them make the uber secure models for official Candy Crush playing, oops, use.

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

You don't really NEED a sound card. You can always listen to cassettes on your walkman while you're working on the computer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Lately I've realized I never use my iphone for anything but calls, texts and emails. I can't remember the last time I played a game. I do google things quite often and use the navigation a few times a week, but those are both things I can do on my old 8530. It weighs almost nothing, the battery lasts way longer, and it can easily survive a tumble down a flight of concrete steps. It's actually in my desk drawer right now. Hmm....

7. marko138

marko138

I work for the gov't and we just got rid of our BB for iPhones. I GREATLY prefer the iPhone. I hated that BB.

8. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    I should have qualified I do not fool with using much music on my phone. I use my phone for multiple emails, texts, and phone calls. I use my now outdated Zune for music. It would be a major pain to get all my tunes out of my Zune and into another device.

10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Me, for one. For about a year.
    What would you like to know ?

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    What is different about it? What do you like? What do you not like? I have gotten quite used to the track ball/pad, I guess you don't need it with the touch screen? Is the display as durable as the old BB's?

12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

No display issues. I don't know if it's that 'Gorilla Glass' but it acts like it. No scratches.

The screen is small, which is a tradeoff I was willing to accept with the form factor and integrated physical (not slide-out, like my 9700) keyboard.

What I miss about the trackpad (aside from BrickBreaker, which I really did play too much...) is cursor movement for editing. The workaround (replacement feature?) is that when you touch-and-hold a spot on the screen, a big circle appears and that puts you into 'cursor-nav-mode' and you can move wherever you need to. It's manageable.

Especially since the predictive typing is _really_ good. I don't know if it's got a learning process or not - I think it may have learned some words I used. But for most things I do with it - messaging, emails, and such - I rarely have to type more than a couple of letters and then select the complete word. So you spend a lot less time correcting because it was correct to begin with...

The browser is decent but of course there's that screen size. This is -not- a tablet! Web page zooming is fast and natural, so you can expand text so legible size, but then you have to scroll it around a bit to see everything. I could not recommend it if web browsing is high on your activities list.

But I've used it many times to read (and respond to) posts here. No complaints really.

Battery life is -excellent- (even better than my wife's Z10) which was one reason I chose it.) Especially if you use a BlackBerry case with the embedded magnets that blank the screen when not in use.

Our wireless plan gives us a bunch of text messages but now about 90% of our messaging is BBM which does not use your SMS count.

BB has always lagged behind Android and the iStuff in terms of apps. I haven't felt the lack, really. Downloaded a Tuner app - whoopee...

13. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

I just switched from an iPhone 5S to the Q10 and I love it, had a blackberry for years and then had every version of the iPhone up to the 5S and just got sick of being forced into upgrading marginally improved iPhones every year for 6 years straight. With BB10.2 OS I've sideloaded every app I had on the iPhone on the Q10 as well, plus it's nice to have a device that doesn't need to be charged every couple hours, QWERTY keyboard can't be beat

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

15. repoman

repoman

Blackberries will always take the back seat to blueberries in my book....

16. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

I´ve been using BB for 7 years now.
    Although they´ve improved a lot over the years, don´t move as fast a Apple, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc.

Since they´re mainly designed for working purposes, their market is more limited. If other brands, with already better technology decide to focus in this segment, BB would surely be lost.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    I may be hitting you up when I get my new unit with some questions, if that is OK?

18. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Strawberries FTW.

20. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I'm on my second iPhone (4S). My first (3G) lasted four years and still works just fine unless you want an iOS past 4.0 or so. ;)

Thnaks to company policy I also have a BB, which I use for company emailing and calendar. Nothing else, I absolutely hate that thing.

Different strokes

21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

My company is in the process of switching from BB to iPhones. iPhones have mobile versions of a lot of the software we use, BB doesn't.

I live near Waterloo, where BB is headquartered, and I have a lot if friends that work there. For the sake of the community, I hope the company makes it.

lowsound