The Genius of Katy Perry, Daft Punk and Lady Gaga

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Frank Tuesday, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

2. socialleper

socialleper

Here, I will distill it down for you.
    1.) Find a simple, catchy beat
    2.) Repeat it as often as possible
    3.) Wrap it in a visually sensational package

Done

There is no genius to any of those three, just marketing exploitation.
  3. trowaclown

trowaclown

If it were so simple everyone will be doing it. Artists like Daft Punk, who spent a week looking for the perfect vocoder setting for a song, surely deserve more respect that this.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo

April Fools post I presume? :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

I would also like to point out that Lady Gaga is a truly talented piano player. She writes her own music and does a good deal of the orchestration/arranging.

I don't care for most of her music, and I wouldn't call her a genius, but she is far from a hack.
  7. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

Loved the articles. I've become a closet pop junkie, specifically because I love hearing clever music hidden in pop. See: Justin Timberlake, Gaga, Daft Punk, Flo Rida. Even the bubblegum culprits have some cool tunes, e.g. Toxic by Brittney Spears.
  8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

but did britney sample that little lick from Linkin Park or did they sample it from her?

there's a lot of really good pop music out right now. and really good country. and really good metal. and really good rap. what an era to be alive.
  9. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

its because its simple that makes it difficult to get right. lots of people try but dont get the right balance of its elements to make it work. think of how many bands/artists that youve seen that have sucked that have achived success or been fantastic and ignored.

not everyone can or will do it not matter how simple it is because not everyone has the same thing to offer
  10. elgecko

elgecko

Liberal use of the word "genius". :meh:
  11. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

A simple wikipedia search reveals she doesn't write her own music. Majority of her hits are written by others although she appears to contribute on some of the songs. No idea where you got the orchestrating/arraning info from, but I sure can't find it. Plus it hurts my ears.
  12. oboylebass

oboylebass

The genius of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" is Nathan East's deep-pocketed, groovy, five string bass line...I think that's the reason it became such a worldwide hit!
  13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Don't know where you looked but a quick Wiki of the albums 'Born This Way' or 'Artpop' and a scroll down to the credits says otherwise.
  14. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Just did and I saw a total of one song she wrote herself. The rest had producers/songwriters who work with other pop artists with her contributing.
  15. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

katy perry=nursery rhymes for teenagers
  16. David Jayne

David Jayne

She works with people but she's listed first in the songwriting credits in virtually every instance. She claims to write her songs. I can't find any evidence to the contrary. If you have some I'd like to see it.
  17. kevteop

kevteop

I always thought the bass part was a bit weak. Certainly when you hear Nile Rodgers you expect to get a great bass part and it just didn't live up to expectations.

I think the appearance of Pharrell along with the familiar groove of Nile Rodgers' guitar is what sold the record. Personally I think the chorus is very weak.
  18. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

The theory explains the songs. It didn't write them.

It doesn't make these songs "genius". They sound good (depending on one's taste, of course) because of decisions made by ear.

It's a little like having a meteorologist explain the structure and subsequent effects of a hurricane in the language of his profession. It doesn't change the outcomes of the hurricane.

EDIT: That doesn't mean I'm a proponent of ear-only musicianship!
  19. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

It's threads like this that remind me how much I hate talking shop with other musicians when the subject of pop music is broached.
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Pretty much sums it up, except you forgot Autotune in the studio and lip synching when allegedly performing live.
  21. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Searching for the perfect vocoder say more about the perfect tool than the actual music ...

It could be 8th note for 4 minutes and only playing a C note ... but because they use a tooth brush to record that C note in 8th notes for 4 min it is the best thing ever ...

to me whatever the tool you used it is still only a C note in 8th note rythm for 4 minutes ...