1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Great Purge begins ... listed all of my basses on Craigslist last night

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehamsterman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

I've been playing bass for about 15 years now. I was studying bass performance in school, but

Now, with 6 bass guitars and no time to play any of them, I realized others could be enjoying them and I could find something a little more well suited to my limited needs.

Has anyone else gone through a similar experience? What did you find out at the end? Any regrets?

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I understand taking a break from playing. I stopped for 14 years when I was in graduate school, getting married, moving to Florida, starting a business and beginning a family.

But I don't understand two things:
    1. Why are you getting rid of all your basses? Don't you want to keep at least one around?
    2. Why did you post them on Craigslist? Why not Talkbass?

3. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

1. I plan on getting a new one
    2. I didn't even think about it. Doing that now!

4. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

I did something very similar. I'd stopped playing as much as was focusing on my family and my career, and I had 12 basses, most of which were high end Warwicks. I sold every last one of them and got an Ibanez SR755 and a Squier VM Jazz to mess around with. I honestly don't regret it, although if I ever start playing seriously again I probably will.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I know your real plan - you're funding more hamster food. ;) ;) ;)

So you're selling six to buy one?

I've been conducting a similar exercise. I'm paring my collection down to four. Three fanned-fret, one parallel. Two five and two four-strings. Yeah, I could get along with one or two, but I like variety! No regrets so far, but I haven't yet parted with the last one (of a kind) I plan to pass along...

I've never sold a bass through Craig's infamous list, only TB and eBay.

7. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

Hah!

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

I quit playing for more than 15 years. I sold my electric piano (best thing I ever did) and sold my upright bass (dumbest thing I ever did!). Didn't look back. But I kept my drumset and original japanese Fender clone bass.

MANY years later I was in this unclaimed freight store. They had part of a drumset there for a song (it came in two boxes and they only had one) So I bought it to play with drum building. Next thing you know I'm digging my old instruments out of my mother's attic. Well, now I've got several drumsets and a herd of basses.

The original instruments are no longer suitable for gigging, but I still dig the old bass out every now and then for nostalgia. I love it. These days I can't do the physical drumming thing so much, so basses get a lot of time.

I hate to tell you but once music is in your blood it never is really gone. My dad told me this and I've seen it too. Guys hock their horns and swear they'll never play again... but sooner or later the all do. So take my advice and not sell ALL your basses, but keep a couple that are your favorites even if you just put them in he corner of the room as decorator items. One day, you won't be sorry.

9. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

The plan isn't to quit playing. I love going to music shops, pulling something interesting off the wall, plugging it in and jamming for a few minutes. But right now, I can't bring anything home because there would be no place to put it.

My ultimate goal is to get a 'fresh start' and start plucking around in music shops again to find fun new things.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

I sold everything but one great bass when I moved to Hawaii to surf for a couple years. Playing just wasn't going to be a focus, but still something at was a part of me. I'd get that bass out and play for half an hour every couple weeks and love it, then just put it back under the bed until the mood struck again. I'm back and have lots of gear again, and play more, though now with 2 kids, not all that much! Still gotta keep it alive. At one point in my life I played 6 hours a day +

Wish I could get a few of those basses back.

11. bgavin

bgavin

I sold off all my 4-string basses, to concentrate exclusively on 5-strings.
    All three were top players (J-Fretless, MIM-P, L1500), and none were dogs.

Regrets:
    eBay plays Thelma and Louise with you about commissions.
    You are not in the Brad Pitt position.
    Initial ad charge(s), 10% commission, 3% paypal commission, and shipping.
    If you are under 108" total L+W+D, shipping is about $34, USPS insured parcel post.

Over 108" you get a $72 surcharge above the $34. My butt hurts from that one. :spit:

Be careful not to have a senile moment, or ship with a hangover.
    I crosshanded two shipping labels, so the P went to the J buyer, and vice versa.
    Another $40 PayPal'ed to each, for reshipping to the correct buyer.
    It all worked out OK, and many thanks to honest (and patient) TB buyers.

As a casual player, a herd of basses gets no love.
    There is always a favorite or two in the harem, the rest do without.

I wound up with two usable basses: a fretted SR5 and fretless P/J.