1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"the harder edge of soul/R&B" ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lexington125, Dec 29, 2013.

1. lexington125

lexington125

Has anyone ever stumbled across any websites that focus on that mix of styles that can best be described as "rockin' soul" or "hard soul" or "rock / r&b" songs? I'm looking to expand my skills in that style, but I can't really come up with any good name for the style; the best I can do is refer to it as the 'harder edge of soul/r&b. There were many bands from the late 50s onward that often played this style - from King Curtis to James Brown , a large part of the Staxx roster, etc. and numerous singles ranging from "Cool Jerk" to "Sookie Sookie". Can anyone point toward any web sites where I can dig into the more obscure end of this style and maybe still uncover some gems that I'm unfamiliar with?
  2. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Check out a newer band called Vintage Trouble, a little harder edged rockier R&B.
  3. JPMo

JPMo

Interesting
  4. lexington125

lexington125

Interesting, and certainly not the typical LA 'product'. I'd claim that they seem a bit 'forced' and formulaic - (charismatic r&b singer in front of competent hard rock band.) I checked with GF and she saw their Letterman appearance last year.

Appreciate the links, but (without sounding too much like an a$$)
    the backing band really sounds like any 3 thirty-something rock guys from the Vine st. union hall backing up "an incredible simulation of a soul singer" . But I doubt I could do better. My only point is that I'm looking for something a bit more authentic, and that probably means something from 40 years ago........

re: Vintage Trouble - for an LA band with multiple appearances on all of the big TV shows, they have almost zero radio play on any LA stations - including the late night and "local" radio shows that play stuff like this. Do their songs come across well without the visuals???
  5. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I have their CD and dig what they are trying to do, you mentioned Sookie Sookie and they came to mind.
  6. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Yes, sir! :cool:
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Booker T. Jones made a great instrumental record a couple of years ago with the Drive By Truckers in the rhythm section and Neil Young on guitar.

8. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

The 2nd album of Charles Bradley is kinda "heavy soul":
  9. JimK

JimK

Are you thinking about stuff like "Cloud Nine", "(I know) I'm Losing You", etc...i.e. Norman Whitfield-produced psychedelic R&B/Rock/Pop? If so, Dennis Coffey played guitar on some of those sessions.

Also, "Sookie, Sookie"...the Steppenwolf tune?
    If so, bands like Humble Pie/Steve Marriot covered R&B/Soul tunes (albums like Eat It & Rockin' The Fillmore).

How about Hummingbird (an offshoot of the Jeff Beck Group)? Jerry (see above) hipped me to their debut.
  10. eddiemac

eddiemac

Check out The Soul of the Net or Sir Shambling"s Deep Soul Heaven and then investigate further links from their pages. You could also type in the names of soul artists at Amazon and then follow the links to related artists. Google is your friend (when they're not spying on you)..
  11. Michedelic

Michedelic

How about:
    Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

Do you check out the stuff going on at The Mint on Pico?

On a related note, do NOT miss the Muscle Shoals documentary; it's still making the rounds of the art house theaters, but comes out on DVD/Blueray in Feb. I think. Manditory viewing for all musicians, period.
  12. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

13. Guitalia

Guitalia

14. Michedelic

Michedelic

Old stuff....
    there's more to Buddy Miles than Band Of Gypsies---

Jaco served time in his band
  15. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Thanks Jerry...I would have thought this as a perfect representation of what the OP was asking (but Lex explained a bit).

Thanks for sharing, VT are nailing it IMO.
  16. steamthief

steamthief

Check out the Bellrays!
  17. JimK

JimK

Part of that comes off sounding like Prince (mid '80s).
  18. JimK

JimK

All these were good...even the Hendrix one. :)

Buddy Miles...yes. His album with "Them Changes" also has some nice covers:
    The ABB classic "Dreams" (done in 4/4 here) & Neil Young's "Down By The River".
  19. Michedelic

Michedelic

In the words of 'Columbo', just one more thing...
    I can't believe I forgot this guy, I've seen him live twice, and he just kills it in the Otis Redding style, JJ Grey...
  20. lexington125

lexington125

Jeez.........I need to clear out my schedule for a few days just to check out all of these links. Much thanks to everyone for all of the replies.

Goal for 2014 is to find a couple of other guys into 50s blues (before it became about guitar heroics) and 60s soul and pull together a couple of sets of obscure tunes. One of the biggest problems with this type of music is that it is 40 or 50 years old and the big hits have just been played to death. But there are so many great, less well known songs just waiting for a good band to bring them to life.

Oh, and as bass players, you should all appreciate this..... if you ever want to have some real fun, put an add on Craigslist saying to you want to join/start a blues band, only with the focus on the songs, not the guitar solos. the replies were priceless, you'd have thought that I committed the greatest sin possible - just imagine; a blues band that actually rehearses, and doesn't focus on soloing?!?