1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Healthy Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Feb 8, 2013.

1. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

OK, I just started a trek in my life that will totally change the way I eat and drink. I'm going to be eating a lot more vegetables and fruit and doing away with pizza and burgers for the most part.

What I'd like to see in this thread is people with like minds and appetites to post recipes, ideas, diet plans, etc. to help me and other TB'ers in the same boat out. Any products out there that you find that is totally healthy and tastes good too, go ahead and tell us about it.

One product I found is Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Hot Cereal. It tastes like oatmeal but has 5 different grains in it. My nutritionist told me about it and it's a great way to eat healthy, fill the pit in your stomach when it's empty, and clean you out at the same time. Good stuff!
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I eat healthy except when I'm at my parents' place. I generally try to avoid "man-made products". Of course there's many exceptions to that such as certain dairies, spices, cereals, olive oil and sometimes pasta or flour.

I often just cook a piece of meat or fish and eat it with raw veggies. Spices make the meat tasty and raw veggies have more nutrients. This is what most of my "quick" meals look like. I've also started using tofu about once or twice a week.
    Couscous salads and bean salads are also great.

My more elaborate meals are often less healthy because they most often than not have pasta, sauce, etc. They are still far from unhealthy. I have a binder full of recipes scanned from various books and magazines. If you want anything specific (meat cooked, type of meal, etc) let me know I'll check what I have.

The current step I'm trying to take is to stop eating sandwiches nearly every day for lunch, it's not unhealthy but I'd like to cut bread. (Except on occasions when I'm buying a baguette or eating at a coffee)
  3. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Yeah, I'm just now getting into this stuff. I need to lose a bunch of weight. A friend of mine who's a nutritionist has decided to help me along the way. She's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to what to buy. I just need to be able to eat veggies without them tasting nasty. I also need to be able to find food that i can eat on the go since I'm a pretty busy person. I'm down for any kind of food you have as long as they're going to help me stay satisfied and not gain weight.
  4. keep it low

keep it low

Dude by far, THE best snack/ meal supplement / energy bar in existence right here http://www.proteinanutrition.com/Pro-Bar-Art-s-Nutty-Banana-Boom-Bar-12-ct you will love it, its got so many good organic ingredients and is worth much more than what they sell for. These are the foderas of energy bars!

Official site
    http://theprobar.com/products/original/nutty-banana-boom/

NO GMO's!!
  5. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

First...congrats. Remember, people that stick to diet/lifestyle changes usually do best allowing themselves a few days a month to cheat.

Eat more protein, less carbs. It will keep you from snacking as much and more full. Oatmeal, awesome, just not the instant sweetened crap and try to avoid adding sugar. Get friendly with egg whites (buy Costco packs and make your own to save money). Also, lowfat yogurt and grilling chicken and vegetables. Hungry, need a snack, go to the egg white or yogurt (greek is great). Ignore the "you can't eat fruit late in the day" bs and other myths. You don't see too many fat arsed yoga loving vegetarians do you....of course not. I keep a couple cooked sweet potatoes in tinfoil in the fridge for snacking as well.

Vegetables....you CAN not eat too much spinach, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, zucchini, squash, celery, apples, etc. Veg fats are good fats like avocados, but you can overdo them a little. Balsamic vinegar is all I need for a salad. Olive oil sparingly but MUCH better than Ranch.

If you want sandwiches, get whole wheat wraps and cram them full of romaine or other dark greens with whatever else you want.

Breakfast....blended frozen blueberries, cut pineapple, banana, 2 egg whites, almond milk, cinnamon...almost every morning. Eat around 6:30am and I'm good until noon. If I do cereal, I'm hungry by 10.

Become one with spices, the key to flavor when fat is missing.

Good luck. ANY low fat cookbook with pictures will help.
  6. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I have recently made the same decision. I'm limiting my soda to one can a day, and eating a banana every morning. That doesn't sound like much, but hey, baby steps right? I might even start doing yoga.
  7. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Thanks guys! Looks like this thread is starting out on the right foot. Oh, and agent77, baby steps bro! My nutritionist is getting hard on me pretty fast. I work in a pizza shop and I'll go hours without eating anything. The only half nutritious thing they have there are chicken wings. I go for the unbreaded ones and I'll eat 12 with a unsweetened sauce like buffalo medium or garlic Parmesan. She doesn't understand why I go for that but it's all there is unless you want me eating pizza all day. Baby steps.
  8. Ziltoid

Oh, and drink water. Water is the only thing I drink aside of alcohol, coffee and tea.
  9. carlos840

carlos840

Chicken wings are far from healthy, breaded or not!

Even if they are oven roasted, there is a large amount of skin and fatty tissues compared to the amount of meat you are actually eating.

12 chicken wings with a bit of sauce is easily between 1200 and 1500 calories, in one meal, with little nutritional value and high fat content!
    You shouldn't really be eating more than 700 calories a meal...

Start bringing your own food to work!

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-chicken-wing-i5103
  10. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Yeah, I'm going to switch to chicken breast. There's less skin and a whole lot more meat.
  11. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Just ate an awesome egg, cheese, and bacon sandwich on Ezekiel bread. The eggs were farm raised, the bacon was from a local farm that doesn't use preservatives and the cheese, well, I had to compromise somewhere. I only had regular American cheese. But it was awesome. I never liked Ezekiel bread before but when it's toasted and on a sandwich, it's really good.
  12. carlos840

carlos840

You have a very strange idea of what "healthy eating" is!

Cheese is pretty much 40% fat, and bacon, well, although extremely tasty i admit, is pretty pretty low on the healthfood list!

Bread is also not the best, even the wholemeal bread has very little good things for you in it.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, weight loss? Or just eating less processed food, and where you are coming from diet wise, but you are very far from eating healthy!

You should be trying to get rid of simple processed carbs, like bread, pasta, white rice, and replacing them with complex carbs, like beans, lentils, quinoa, brown rice.
    Eating lean protein, like chicken breast, fish, and eating a lot of fresh greens, like broccoli, asparagus, spinach...
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Come on man, cut the guy some slack. He's working his way to eating healthy and asking for some input. Too many people try to go healthy all at once, get frustrated with what they "can't" have, so go back to old habits.

Good move on your part buddy, and congrats for working on making better decisions. You can do it.....keep on keepin' on.

The wife and I try to eat clean, avoiding processed and prepared foods. One good tip we got to help with that, from Dr. Phil, was to shop around the outside of the grocery store. You'll find the whole, clean, foods are out there. The processed, less healthy, foods are down the aisles. Not a hard and fast rule, just a guide. Try it next time.

I'm not going to lie, I miss some of the snacks and food I used to eat, but the benefits outweigh the temporary enjoyment of eating that junk. My knees feel better, I fit in seats better, I don't sweat or lose my breath after climbing a few flights of stairs, I enjoy physical work, I'm not afraid to run/jog with my wife. I could go on, but this thread isn't about me.

-Mike
  14. carlos840

carlos840

Sorry, i didn't mean to sound like a dbag!

It's just that eating bacon and cheese sandwiches while thinking you are eating healthy is pretty delusional!

Unless he was living on lard and goose fat before that...
  15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Hey MJ! Miss you pal.

I gained alot of weight over the last 5 years or so until Dec 2011, when I stopped drinking. Since then, I've lost almost 70 pounds! Feel amazing!

Currently, I've quit smoking and am on day 13. I was smoking about 5 cigs a day...I'm not really jonesing anymore, and feel better for that too.

Capn - what I've learned over the past 14 months is that it's a marathon and not a race. Don't be too hard on yourself and obsess over every little thing - you will go crazy. Have a nice meal - If you feel bad afterwards for some reason, take note and try to improve on it next time. Work on building good habits, and the rest will take care of itself.

Truth is for me, that I didn't really try that hard. I still ate poorly, just less, and the longer I go on, the better my habits become. I try to improve just a little each day, that's enough for me. I go to Muay Thai 5 days a week - that's one of my good habits I built, another is not eating 3 hours before bed...If you fall off, get back on. No one is perfect.
  16. Ziltoid

Also a good tip I can give you is to buy a few quality products. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar immediately come to my mind. The difference is huge.

Personally here's the plain olive oils I like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for flavored or spiced one I'm partial to:
    [​IMG]

A L'Olivier, they have a lot of variety.

(Yes I'm aware it's weird to own 6-7 different olive oils, I do it, sue me :p)

A L'Olivier also does [​IMG] These things, which are amazing to make your own salad dressings.

For Balsamic vinegars, I tried many and my sweet spot is around 8 years old. Over that it gets too sweet. Here's my favorite:
    [​IMG]

I know this reads like an TV ad but it's worth it. Heck the balsamic pictured here cost me about 20$ for a small bottle and I just love it.
  17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Colour me curious, what spices are man made? Ditto on cereals (unless you mean the breakfast kind).

:p

I do a lot of cooking with spices, though never terribly hot. Try and find a local spice shop, they'll usually be cheaper and better quality than supermarkets, though the spices will probably come in bags instead of jars (which is a large part of the supermarket cost me thinks). While there will be some pros and cons, they don't add hugely to the meal in terms of calories but add a lot in terms of flavour!
  18. Ziltoid

I do not make my own pesto, I often buy blends that are already mixed as opposed to making my own rubs and blends. You get the idea, I buy supermarket spices. For cereals I meant the breakfast kind. I should cut that out but one thing at the time.

I do have a few good spices you have to grind yourself and the such but I never get around using them. (I hate cleaning the mortar we have at the apartment)
  19. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

OK, let me clarify something. I am just starting out. Calling me "delusional" and saying I have a weird way of eating healthy is not encouraging me at all. It's like yelling at your 2 year old and asking him why he can't run a 6 minute mile. I need encouragement, not belittling. I worked a 10 hour day today on my feet and I knew I would have to have a good filled up gut to allow me to work around pizza all day without wanting to eat it. I also needed a good carbohydrate boost to get me through the day. Those sandwiches did that. I packed a protein shake, strawberries and some carrot sticks for my lunch. I only drank a half a cup of Diet Pepsi. I was thirsty and I needed something to wash down the carrot sticks.

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. Keep it up. I'd like for this thread to be a few pages long full of great ideas.
  20. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Also, the key to weight loss or any kind of healthy eating is killing the addiction to processed foods. A lot of people have an unknown addiction to food. Processed sugar is the crack cocaine of the food world. It's in things you would never think it would be in but if you look, it's in there. We need to encourage one another in this. It's a fight against ignorance, not each other. When we understand what's good and what's not good, we're half way to getting better. Kind of like the whole G.I. Joe saying, Knowing is half the battle! YO JOE!!!