The high cost and low value of Facebook advertising

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Frank Tuesday, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

2. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

I shall check this out. I always thought it was weird how we would pay 5 or 10 bucks, get 1000+ "people that i have seen this post" yet no new views on the youtube video we were actually advertising.... kinda strange.
  3. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

I've tried paying Facebook to "promote" shows a couple times. Has never worked. The main thing you need to do to increase your post "views" is to share your post on your own timeline, have your bandmates all do the same thing, and get others to do that as well.
  4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

There's a sucker born every minute. As soon as they are old enough to have a debit card, they buy fake flowers for fake friends on fakebook.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cnltb

cnltb

...and I STILL don't do facebook.
  7. invader3k

After watching the video, I'll say that I think the gentleman is dead on in his analysis. I can also see Facebook quickly going the way of Myspace in the next couple years if they don't take a more sensible real world type approach to selling their services and running their "algorithms".
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't see any value in Facebook other than keeping up with people that I went to school with and creeping on others. You know, what it was designed for in the first place.
  9. invader3k

If someone comes up with a better way of letting people know about our upcoming shows, I'll jump on board. Until then, I'll keep using Facebook, in conjunction with Reverbnation.
  10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

11. invader3k

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I suspect the most effective channel "online" is email. Everyone uses it, so direct outreach via that channel has the best odds of reaching the target.
  13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

There's a FB page for local musicians in my area. All of the upcoming gigs get posted there and the local fans can decide which band they're going to see. It's been working for quite a while and it doesn't cost anything.
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I use it for that as well. I just don't think it's very effective and I wouldn't want to spend money to advertise on it.
  15. ryco

ryco

Where's the TB "Like" button for this post? :D

Seattle has a local band page too and it works well. FREE!
    (Seattle Music Scene)
  16. sm49341

sm49341

Complaining about Facebook is like complaining about Ramen noodles.
  17. obimark

obimark

This! Same here. If I wasn't in a band probably would drop the crap altogether , but here is the question can you actually delete your fb account and data? Has anyone successfully done, and if so how?
  18. dls119

dls119

Yes, and there are through instructions available via Google. I've done it - don't miss it at all.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+100000 and I still refuse to watch the movie Titanic.:) I understand people my age love to go back in time and find "lost" loves or friends but my thing is most of those gorgeous girls you knew in High School usually look nothing like your memories and I prefer to keep my memories. I also don't want to be bombarded by people I didn't care about way back then who now feel inclined to tell me about their entire timeline from then to present but to each their own.
  20. cnltb

cnltb

...as it happens; I too haven't watched 'Titanic' :)
  21. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    It amazes me that so many musicians complain about a free service that instantly connects you with thousands of people that could potentially like your music. The problem with Reverbnation and sites like that is that poeple don't regularly get on those sites and create a profile and spend alot of time actively browsing. They most certainly do that with Facebook. Now, I will agree there can be little to no value in paying for advertising, but you really can't beat the free services it offers. It definitely is over saturated, but that just leaves it up to the artist to be creative and to reach out to people more. And for those of you that don't have a facebook because you're too cool, we've all noted how deep and brilliant you are.