The highest-paid musicians list of 2012

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, Nov 30, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima

The top guy didn't even release an album this year.

http://urbanislandz.com/2012/11/30/dr-dre-is-forbes-2012-highest-paid-musician/

It's mostly people who've been around for decades, though you do get Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Rihanna hovering in the top half too. There's six bands including Take That, and the rest are all individuals.

It might seem like music has changed a lot and things aren't like they used to be, but some things remain the same - there's apparently still a lot of money in nostalgia, a lot of money in vocals, and ALL the big money is in lyrics in English.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

This isn't really a list of the highest paid musicians so much as the highest paid music-related brand-managers. It's not about the music so much as it's about the hustle.

Nothing wrong with that; most musicians could probably feature a little more hustle. You'd just hate to start thinking music is meaningfully counted in dollars.

3. David A. Davis

David A. Davis

I must be really out of the loop,LOL. I've never heard of take that.

4. pklima

pklima

I think Take That were like the British version of N'Sync, more or less? Or am I confusing them with somebody completely different?

I do think the list is kinda useful even to us "little guys". Let's say that you play country covers, just as an example. Are you playing covers of the people who are making money right now? If not, maybe you should learn a few.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    There is another thread which covered this topic that was started earlier in the week. I wouldn't call it a list of the top paid musicians. In Dr. Dre's case its more about the Beats Headphone business than anything else. The way the industry has changed over the years, many musicians have to find other ways to make money.

7. ACalbass

ACalbass

Being in that list also means you will surely have more chances to get a visit from IRS people.
    If you have money,the worst that can happen is for people to know you have it,and specially the gov.

8. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking....i.e. Dre with the headhpones.

(which kinda suck by the way! :bag:)