The History of the Eagles Parts 1 & 2 Documentary Movie released

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. JimK

JimK

I heard about that on the way in this morning...I was around back then...and their 1st 5-6 albums were all homeruns (for what they were).
    Their '74 Cali Jam appearance was cool, too. They were still the original 4-tet...w/ Jackson Brown sitting in on keys.

3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

The Eagle's were the first band I remember to come to town with $100+ concert tickets and I think it was way back in the late 80's. They have been dead to me since then.

4. elgecko

elgecko

I always wondered if the Eagles were as big outside of California as they were in California.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Well, since they have the number 2 all-time best selling album in the U.S., and the 4th or 6th (depending upon whose list you look at) in the world, I'd probably say yes they were big outside of California.

7. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    No sign of Don Felder, suggesting that not everything is patched up quite yet....

8. notverygood

notverygood

If Henley read Felder's book, I doubt they will.

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I recall in the early 70s driving with high school buddies up to north LA to see Procol Harum in a small theatre. The warm up band was some group we'd never heard of called the Eagles. Conversation in the car ride home was how we liked the Eagles better than PH.

I wonder if their documentary will be another bunch of boring interviews of old guys sitting in a recording control room in front of a big console reminiscing about this and that part of a particular song. Seems like these documentaries are all copying the Beatles (again).

10. KJung

KJung

All I know is that every year, Timothy B. looks a bit more like Skeletor :p

I remember seeing Timothy B. back in the day with Poco. He's awesome. I also saw him in a small club many years ago playing bass behind Warren Zevon. That was very cool, since the Eagles reunion thing hadn't happened yet. The crowd went nuts when they came out, since Timothy B. was not mentioned in the concert material. They did a couple of the Timothy B. Eagles tunes... wonderful.

11. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    Oh man...I got all excited thinking it was an NFL film. It is not an NFL film. Such is the plight of the Philadelphia sports fan.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Tim Schmidt is a hell of a singer but for some reason I always preferred Randy Meisner's voice.

13. elgecko

elgecko

They showed part one last night on Showtime. It WASN'T old guys behind a mixing board and Don Felder WAS on it. There was a lot old video footage mixed in with talking heads from all former members. Bottom line, it was friggin' EXCELLENT! I can't wait for part two tonight.

14. baddarryl

baddarryl

Amen dude. Screw them!

15. elgecko

elgecko

They were still broken up in the late 80s. You must be thinking about the Hell Freezes Over tour in 95'.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Eagles are a genius band. They wrote some of the greatest hits in rock history, successfully fusing country and rock, and when they went more pop, they still managed to keep a great tunefulness to their work. I think Desperado is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and I can still take Hotel California and the Long Run just fine, thank you. I didn't care for their post-reunion work much, but it's not that it's bad; it just didn't grab me.

Their vocal harmonies, instrumental ability, and stage presence made their shows well worth attending. I don't get any disdain people have for these guys. I still listen to them all the time.

17. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Was Randy filmed for the documentary? As in... interviewed recently?

I'm hoping it's going to be on UK TV soon...

18. kentiki

kentiki

19. elgecko

elgecko

Yup, they interviewed all of them (Henley, Fry, Bernie Lesson, Randy, Felder, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmidt). They also interviewed peripheral characters like their manager, Jackson Brown, J.D. Souther, David Geffen, and a couple of surprises.

20. oldrocker

oldrocker

To me the Eagles and Rumors era Fleetwood Mac epitomises all that was wrong with rock music in the mid 70s. Thank god Van Halen, Rush and The Police showed up - IMHO

I watched the Eagles Part 1 last night, the vocal harmonies may have be good but so what, the songs were very sappy and they got even worse when Timothy B replaced Randy Meisner. Glen Frey and Don Henley both come across as real dicks - Again IMHO

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I went to a concert back in the '70s featuring the Eagles, Chicago, Linda Ronstadt, J.D. Souther and Nicolette Larson. It was when Ronstadt was dating Jerry Brown when he ran for governor the first time. It was a fund-raiser. All tickets were $20.