the "I Back my Own @$$" club (place for solo musicians)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jordanl92, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jordanl92

jordanl92

whether you're in between bands, can't find anyone to form a band with, just prefer to create alone on a computer, or you're just an over controlling freak. this is the place for you.

chat below beautiful bass people or give a shameless self plug
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Yeah I'm one of those ... I never understood the "I'm the back bone, I'm the glue between the drum and the rest of the band" To me there isn't a hierarchy like the drum is the foundation then you have the bass and on top of it you have 2 guitars and a keyboard then a singer ... to me it is a polyphony and the worst is a "rythm guitarist" that motherf***er just destroy any chances you have to play something outside the root.
  3. jdb72

jdb72 Supporting Member

That I am the root and the backbone mentality was thought by up a guitar player!
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Or someone that actually likes americana... We ain't all metal math heads ya know... Now I gotta get back to Duck Dynasty :D

For me I find a certain joy on ensemble playing where I'm in a supporting role, playing that glue thing. I kinda see it like shepherding the flock though the changes. I'm almost always out ahead of the ensemble in that regard... It also frees me up to sing and I get a lot bang out of that. So philosophically, I have evolved to consider that each note I play, masks a note someone else plays and that informs my playing. A least when I'm being thoughtful about it... It's still a work in process which is the wonderful thing about music... I do still get a charge out of hearing other folks go there though...

For the record I did techno-pop, which was what we called Rush, Yes, Tull, Crimson, etc... before techno got a (deservedly) bad name... Way back in the deep dark recess of time we called the early / mid 70's. I get where the technical mastery aspect is attractive. As I age I just find less and less reason for me to go there. Close as I get is playing reggae - which I love and find challenging. For me the challenge is playing fewer and fewer notes while still implying the line.

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking more about me backing myself up when singing lead... My latest attempts are while also banging 1& 3 on a cajon using a kick pedal. It is a bit of a balancing act...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

Mm, uh huh. We called it English heavy metal artrock, but whatever.

I'm pretty much just shedding now. I continue to understand how much I don't know. The "band" I'm in isn't ambitious, but that's ok because my schedule is so screwed up at present I couldn't take a regular gig.

Discovering stuff online to play along with is fun and as much of a challenge as I want it to be. I am my own backup.

:hyper::hyper:
  7. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

I too am currently a band unto myself. Me on the bass, myself on the guitar, and Steven Slate on the drums :D

Sometimes I can convince myself to sing, but I always prefer to sing backups.
  8. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

9. soitainly

soitainly

My main instrument these days is solo classical guitar. I used to play guitar in rock bands but as I got older it just got harder to keep bands together. I found more opportunities to play out solo, with a lot less hassle.

I actually started getting the bug to jam with people again since taking up bass a while ago. I'm still friends with lots of old band mates, so I get to jam occasionally. I don't know if I would be up for the effort of a full on gigging band again unless everything was easy. I do have to say however, that when you click with other musicians, it's like no other feeling in the world.
  10. ficsci

ficsci

Lol this, but I play guitar badly XD
    with Addictive Drums on drums \m/

I want to play in a band (.__.)