1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

the "I Back my Own @$$" club (place for solo musicians)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jordanl92, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jordanl92

jordanl92

whether you're in between bands, can't find anyone to form a band with, just prefer to create alone on a computer, or you're just an over controlling freak. this is the place for you.

chat below beautiful bass people or give a shameless self plug
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Yeah I'm one of those ... I never understood the "I'm the back bone, I'm the glue between the drum and the rest of the band" To me there isn't a hierarchy like the drum is the foundation then you have the bass and on top of it you have 2 guitars and a keyboard then a singer ... to me it is a polyphony and the worst is a "rythm guitarist" that motherf***er just destroy any chances you have to play something outside the root.
  3. jdb72

jdb72 Supporting Member

That I am the root and the backbone mentality was thought by up a guitar player!
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Or someone that actually likes americana... We ain't all metal math heads ya know... Now I gotta get back to Duck Dynasty :D

For me I find a certain joy on ensemble playing where I'm in a supporting role, playing that glue thing. I kinda see it like shepherding the flock though the changes. I'm almost always out ahead of the ensemble in that regard... It also frees me up to sing and I get a lot bang out of that. So philosophically, I have evolved to consider that each note I play, masks a note someone else plays and that informs my playing. A least when I'm being thoughtful about it... It's still a work in process which is the wonderful thing about music... I do still get a charge out of hearing other folks go there though...

For the record I did techno-pop, which was what we called Rush, Yes, Tull, Crimson, etc... before techno got a (deservedly) bad name... Way back in the deep dark recess of time we called the early / mid 70's. I get where the technical mastery aspect is attractive. As I age I just find less and less reason for me to go there. Close as I get is playing reggae - which I love and find challenging. For me the challenge is playing fewer and fewer notes while still implying the line.

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking more about me backing myself up when singing lead... My latest attempts are while also banging 1& 3 on a cajon using a kick pedal. It is a bit of a balancing act...
  5. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

Mm, uh huh. We called it English heavy metal artrock, but whatever.

I'm pretty much just shedding now. I continue to understand how much I don't know. The "band" I'm in isn't ambitious, but that's ok because my schedule is so screwed up at present I couldn't take a regular gig.

Discovering stuff online to play along with is fun and as much of a challenge as I want it to be. I am my own backup.

:hyper::hyper:
  6. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

I too am currently a band unto myself. Me on the bass, myself on the guitar, and Steven Slate on the drums :D

Sometimes I can convince myself to sing, but I always prefer to sing backups.
  7. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

8. soitainly

soitainly

My main instrument these days is solo classical guitar. I used to play guitar in rock bands but as I got older it just got harder to keep bands together. I found more opportunities to play out solo, with a lot less hassle.

I actually started getting the bug to jam with people again since taking up bass a while ago. I'm still friends with lots of old band mates, so I get to jam occasionally. I don't know if I would be up for the effort of a full on gigging band again unless everything was easy. I do have to say however, that when you click with other musicians, it's like no other feeling in the world.
  9. ficsci

ficsci

Lol this, but I play guitar badly XD
    with Addictive Drums on drums \m/

I want to play in a band (.__.)