The I saw (fillin the blank) recently...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

As this place is obviously full of musicians, many of us get out to see acts performing on a regular basis. Large concert tours, clubs etc.
    I always enjoy reading here about folks who have caught an act and what their thoughts were regarding the performance and show.
    I thought I'd start this thread in hopes of having folks talk about an act they have recently caught and perhaps something of a quick review.
    Things like:
    -who you saw
    -where you saw them
    -what you liked/ were intrigued with
    -what you didn't like
    -anything else you would like to add as well

Perhaps this is a way for us to be able to see some acts that we normally wouldn't, without the heads up.
    Thanks for contributing.... and no, I haven't seen a band in some time, what with two kids under ten!
    Let me live through you vicariously!
    Fishheadjoe

2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I caught the Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas show a little over a week ago. All are great musicians and showmen. Their drummer (Daniel Glass) is a buddy of mine and just tore it up. John "Spazz" was on upright, it's the first time that I've caught him live. Catch this show if it comes near you!

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Last big concert was Minus the Bear at the Summit Music Hall in Denver. Last small show was a piano recital by my schools piano professor and a visiting professor. They played Liszt, Bartok, and Debussy. Last local bar show was a benefit event with a bunch of bands on the bill including my boss's band Scrotus.

4. Ivan R

Ivan R

I saw Paul McCartney play last week. Now top that!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. icecycle66

icecycle66

I didn't see Paul McCartney play last week. Consider yourself topped.

7. M.Wrenn

M.Wrenn

+1 My thoughts exactly.

8. portlandguy

portlandguy

I saw Rush a few weeks ago in Seattle - great show, my 30th show. cant remember them ever being better.

Going to see M83 and the Killers tomorrow night!

9. El-Bob

El-Bob

I saw Death From Above 1979 a few weeks ago... these guys are nuts live, the albums don't capture it at all. Bassist runs through two 8x10 cabs with some monstrous old heads that are cranked to ridiculous levels of distortion (and this is a moderate sized club, not a huge venue). The deepest, richest bass growl I've ever heard. Awesome show.

10. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Lindsey Buckingham solo 2 weeks ago at the Barrymore Theatre in Madison. Holy crap. Strong performer, not your typical guy w/ acoustic guitar show. Different guitars for every song, odd tunings, nylon string, steel string, baritone all fingerpicked. Minimal looping (thank god). Hits all the notes, and then stretches them out for 30 seconds. Has not lost a thing. Skinny 60+ year old rocker with a brain.

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I saw The Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Boston House of Blues last week. George Porter, Jr. was on bass and the band was off the hook!!

12. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Thanks everyone... I didn't think that this thread was gonna have legs, but it looks like it's starting to crawl!
    Keep'em coming... I get a kick outta reading these!
    Fishheadjoe

13. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

The last touring band I saw was in the spring. The Civil Wars at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia. Got a nice place to stand, next to the mixing board. A copy of the set list was laying on the board, so I knew what was coming, and there were video monitors above.
    The duo was really good. I can't recall an audience so enthralled by the performers, and they seemed to genuinely enjoy the crowd's happiness.
    John Paul is a great guitarist and singer, and Joy Williams has a Fantastic voice and is very pretty. Beautiful, even.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My son and I went to see Cheap Trick and Aerosmith a few months ago in Boston. Cheap Trick sounded o.k. but the it was obvious that Robin Zander was struggling to hit some high notes and Tom Petersson's bass was too muddy sounding. You could hear it but it was hard to distinguish what he was playing. Rick Neilsen was trying to do his usual jump where he does the splits in mid-air but could only get about 6 inches off the stage. Overall, they were very good but not as good as when I saw them in 1979.

Aerosmith sounded great but they had an extra musician behind the amps who was playing keys and guitars. They also had several back up singers.

15. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Last night...The Black Dahlia Murder, All That Remains, and Dethklok at House of Blues in Orlando. Awesome show and got to meet Oli Herbert from ATR.

Over the past year I've seen dozens of local bands, plus Guns N Roses, Roger Waters, Buckcherry, Tesla, Built by Stereo, Rose's Pawn Shop, Big Head Todd and probably 10 more.

16. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

MF DOOM and Sonny Rollins last year here in Wellington. We don't get too many international acts here. A few weeks ago the Black Keys and Mumford & Sons came, but I'd rather stay home with some beers than see that. I'll be seeing Neil Young & Crazy Horse in March. Oh, I also saw Incubus last year, which was great. I've been a fan of them since Morning View came out.

17. electracoyote

electracoyote

I caught Chris Isaak last night at the Paramount Theater in Denver, Colorado. Chris and his crack band (guitar bass drums keys percussion) sure are an energetic bunch. Chris talks a lot, but he is a funny guy, and the band plays along really well. The audience was all in. Rhinestone-encrusted purple nudie suit FTW.

18. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Ooh....I saw Arpetrio and Victor Wooten last month too. Have Esperanza Spaulding tickets for spring.

19. crlujan

crlujan

Saw Charles Bradley & the Menahan Street Band on Friday. So good. He really puts his all into it. So much emotion. And the bass player was killin'!

image-3487572586.jpg

20. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I saw Victor Wooten and Steve Vai in the span of two weeks. Both were glorious, but Victor edged Steve out as far as best show I've ever seen. 'Twas fantastic. :D

21. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

Hadn't see live name bands for years, if not decades.

Took teh wife to Styx for her 50th.

Great show. No amps showing and few monitors. mostly wireless.

90 minute great show, some of it with two bassists.

Last week, opened for the Motels. At 62, Martha Davis rocks. Small combos and simple drum set. All fit in a chevy van.