The ******** I'm going through now

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, Mar 26, 2014.

1. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

So I'm a 18 year old bass player...been in love with bass since I first picked it up and always been wanting to form a band. So I actually got the chance to join in on a band forming in my college, since my college is also setting up an actual studio. Problem is, for some unknown god forsaken reason, this stupid studio has no bass amp. AT ALL. It has an actual bass, but no amp. Worst thing is, the bandmates expect me to carry a 15 Watt amp into a tiny ass room to compete with drums and 120 Watt guitar amp. My second problem is the actual band I'm in. Both members (the guitarist and the drummer) don't really seem to care about this problem and simply brush it off and say "just use your amp". :rollno: To top it all off, the drummer is an all out incessant stubborn metal head who doesn't seem to grasp the concept of forming a "rhythm section" with the bass but insists on getting the guitarist to play riffs whilst shutting me off, nor does he have any interest in playing other forms of music whatsoever.

So my question is, do I put up with all this and hope to see light at the end of the tunnel, or do I just throw in the towel and stick to home practice. This is a newly formed band, so I really do want to hang on and get the experience of making music as a band, but this is the problem I'm facing. What do you guys think?
  2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

Just as important as the 'experience of making music' is the 'experience of learning to deal with other musicians'.

They are young, too..yes? So it's possible they don't even know about dynamics and listening to each other to make the song better.

As for no bass amp - that's on you. At some point, you should get one. For a quick fix - is there a PA? Just go direct into that. A small PA might not be able to crush the lows, but neither will a small practice amp. If you can't crank it, then put your head right next to the speaker so you can hear yourself.

Basically - just make it work, if you want to. If you can't talk the stubbornness out of them, then move on.
  3. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Keep getting experience with these guys and start looking for a new band. Best time to change jobs is when you already have a job.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1 on running into the PA if there is one. And see who at the school is in charge of the band room, and point out the need for a bass amp, maybe they'll get one for it.

As for dealing with bandmates-- well, let's review options. You might be able to persuade them to improve. Having some honest objective outsider give a critique may do that, or try recording a rehearsal and play it back to see if they like what it sounds like. If they show no interest in improving, then it's should-I-stay-or-should-I-go on your side. What THAT comes down to is a) is there anyone else you can play with who's any better, or b) are these guys so bad that you're better off playing on your own? Sometimes, for a while, playing with a bad band is better than playing with no band at all... and sometimes not. I don't know them and I don't know you or your location, so that's all I can offer on an internet forum. But hopefully it helps clarify the decision process.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

THIS.
    They'e probably not going to "mature" to where you are...but playing with them beats not playing at all until you find a better situation. Plus you get to pick up experience in dealing with bandmates who do not share your vision....that'll come up a lot in life
  7. madrob

madrob

What are you doing joining a band with only a crappy little practice amp? I think you should concern yourself with that before you start bad mouthing the other guys.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Sounds like these are your problems not theirs.

1. Get your own amp. We all have to do this at some point in learning playing an amplified instrument. It's part of your instrument.

2. Studios rarely provide bass amps unless it's a full professional grade facility. Nearly all studios discourage bass amps, given they're harder to isolate. Many if not most studio bassists are running DI and using headphones.
  9. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

Thanks for the replies guys, will look into the hooking direct into the PA system thing. As for getting a new amp, problem being that now it is not currently possible. Life of a college student basically means little to no access in the $$ department.
  10. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Good luck competing with a 120w guitar amp when you have a 15w whisper. Save $500 and get a decent rig. Also based on what you are telling us about the other players you should invest in some earplugs to save your hearing NOW.
  11. Joedog

Joedog

Many bands would consider it bulls**t for a bass player expecting to join a band with only a 15W practice amp. I've bought used gig worthy amps for $100.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I understand, but that's not the fault of the band or the 'studio'. It also gives you something to save for for summer. Even if it's $150 for a better combo. Its frustrating, but we've all been there.
  13. Krugen

Krugen

Anything can be overcome with enough practice and cooperation between band mates, but metalheads are in a league of their own. Not to generalize, but I have yet to see a metalhead that listened to anything that has rythm and go "Yea, it doesn't sound half bad, I might be interested", not even out of courtesy. I'd quit if I were in your shoes.
  14. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Not sure I agree with this.
    If they want to play only headbanger metal and you don't want to play it at all -- this is just not a good fit. Surely these can't be the only 2 other musicians.

You may well be better off doing what you like and letting these two have their wankfest. Sounds like they don't want you anyway.

Yes, you need an amp.
    The bigger question for me is why is the guitar using a 100W amp in a small room?
    Yes, you should get used to going direct and playing with good headphones you like. If for no other reason than to keep drums and 100W of guitar out of your hearing.

This is true.
    But sometimes what you learn is that you can't change them all, and a better fit is better for everyone. An opportunity to join is also an opportunity to say no and keep looking.

Form your own band with guys who are better aligned with -your- vision. Is there no faculty advisor? I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where a roomful of college freshmen get free rein in a sound studio.
  15. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1
    If you want to be in a band you need the gear to do it.
  16. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Work with what you have available to you for now. Priority 1 is to get yourself a decent rig. Look for used.
  17. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

It sounds like the OP said that his school has created a music studio which implying that the school has provided other items (such as the bass) but not a bass amp. That's his issue with the (lack of) amp, not that he's cheap or full of bull#*&t.
  18. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sucks to be you, I guess.

Find a solution, or don't.
  19. Wesley R

Wesley R

One Solution may well be buying what you can afford. Several times just for grins I have searched for the lowest cost stage-able system, not a “decent” “life long love” or something. I mean enough volume to function for the given need.

Each and every time I have been able to come up with something useable, not pretty, not brag able, but useable. Often times it was a separate head and cabinet, sometimes not. Search CL, Music Go-Round, etc.

If your guitar guy has a 120watt amp you will generally lose out in a volume war.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

The OP appears to be in Malaysia, so gear pickings may be slim, but there has to be something out there. Some Peavey TNT or something.
  21. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Do some sort of fundraiser or find a way to get a bass amp donated to the college for there studio.