The importance of helmets.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by machine gewehr, Apr 9, 2014.

1. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I've been riding bikes since my childhood. I am extremely cautious when riding, I try to give 110% attention to the road ahead, cars, pedestrians and possible obstacles and dangers. I come home not only physically tired but mentally tired too.

I had my share of accidents since childhood, one major accident but that was when I was 6 or 7 and caused by stupidity of that age. Lets face it, all kids at that age do stupid stuff.:p

3 days ago I bought my first road bike. What a step up from a MTB if you are not riding in dirt.

On monday night I took it for the first ride. Years of experience, 45 minutes on the new bike and one nanosecond of distraction and I found myself in the air. Landed on my right hand and my head, finally landing on the opposing lane!:eek:

Luckily there wasn't a car going fast in the opposing lane, or I could be pancaked. People stopped the traffic to help me, luckily I wasn't hurt too bad and got up fast.

My wirst hurts, a lot, but hope it'll be fine. There was a lump the size of a small egg on my wrist when I came home.:atoz:

But, if I wasn't wearing that helmet, I'd paint the pavement red for sure. I don't think I could survive such a blow, even if I did, I probably wouldn't be the same. You know what I mean.

No matter how experienced you are, how careful you are, how lucky you have been, your life can change or even end in 1 second. My cyclist, motorcyclist, and working in hard hat area friends, do wear your helmet.

I know some people that doesn't wear helmets because it doesn't look "cool". I hope they don't have to figure out even a Hello Kitty helmet is way cooler than a casket.:p
  2. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

there are also people out there who prefer the freedom to choose ,and they resent people with holier than thou attitudes who think they know whats best for everyone else...maybe your helmet saved you...but maybe the next guy wound up with a broken neck because a helmet impaired his vision or hearing....

here workers demanded better workplace safety....what we got was a law requiring almost anyone working wear hard hats and vests,and then called it a day.......so the guy that cuts the grass in the park gets to sweat under his hat and vest but they don't really bother with any procedures that might make the job any safer...the employer is off the hook,but how are workers any safer?...

maybe we should be telling guys with 3 days experience on the road to put on their hello kitty hats and learn to ride before they hit the streets....
  3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I wasn't wearing a helmet when I bounced my head off the hood of a truck. I was fine.
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I watched someone die right before my eyes because he wasn't wearing a helmet. No, I don't think helmets should be a law, but I'm also a fan of natural selection.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Eh? I almost killed myself and shared my experience, all I wanted to tell was, if I though "I don't need a helmet, I am a 20+ years experienced rider" or "meh, it wouldn't happen to me" I would probably be dead right now.

How is this holier than though attitude? Why are you so aggressive? Every one has the right of choice.Just because I posted this doesn't mean now there's a law requiring every one on the planet wear a helmet.:eyebrow:

I'm not saying "I wear a helmet, I am better than those that don't and I am alive because I am Human v2.0". Be my guest, jump on your Kavasaki ninja and hit 200kmh without wearing a helmet. I won't have to bury you or change your diapers if things go south.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't wearing a helmet when I had an accident and rolled on the ground for meters ending up in hospital when the pavement re-adjusted a small portion of my skull when I was a kid. I turned out to be fine after all, at least to some point.:D

That, is a risk I am not taking again.:p
  7. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I got a new helmet, but they aren't the end-all be-all of protection.
  8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    Ive had such a mixed experience... ive never worn a helmet on a bicycle even though ive had tons of wrecks and injuries from my years of crazy riding. But I wont so much as get on a mini bike without one. Years ago a stunt on a motocross bike sent me over the handlebars and I landed @ about 40mph on my head squarely on a rock. Cracked my helmet in half and cost me a headache you wouldn't believe, any memories for the next 12 hours and a bad burn and some scrapes, but I still got me brains.... dont know why I never got one for my bicycle. Glad you're ok!
  9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Of course not, a lot of things can go wrong and a helmet that limits your vision and hearing may cause harm rather than protection like Jim said.

Wow, if something can go wrong, sometimes it really does. Glad you're ok after such a bad fall.

I watched a video of a few mountain bikers riding on a trail. A giant moose comes out of nowhere, kicks one of the riders right in the head.:eek:

The dude's helmet was broken, but he was fine.
  10. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Hey safety health well being issues bring out strong reactions in people. I worked in construction / plant maintenance all my life, and have mixed feelings about safety equipment.
    I was in a very similar bike accident as you, except in my case a car pulled out and I pretzeled my front wheel on theirs, I flew over the hood and felt fortunate that the red light up at the intersection was against oncoming traffic, or I like you, would have been pancaked.
    I landed on my hip, no issues with my head, but that doesn't argue that there may not have been. The helmet saved you from busting yours, that's a good thing. People get really super polarized over the choice vs. rules thing and tend to overreact.
    I always worked with due caution on jobs and hated working with cowboys who would do things that would mean one slip and you're toast, and expect you to do the same.

Sadly it can quickly turn into a bullying / intimidation issue or a holier than thou thing.
    I'm not saying either has really happened in this thread, just that it doesn't have to.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    That worker should be wearing earplugs. ;)
  12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oh, sure- the one who hit their head says they're fine. :bag:

I smacked my head on a rafter in an old house and while the DR was checking it out, he asked if I had lost consciousness at any time. My reply was "You're asking someone with a head wound if they passed out?" and he said, "Oh, right".

Just before I left, he had someone come in to clean the wound again and she tipped my head down, then "Aw, did you hit your head?". Nine staples and she asks if I hit my head. Brilliant.
  13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Skilled riders kiss the pavement all the time and it's not always their fault. What's your point about learning to ride?

People who demand better workplace safety often are too stupid or lazy to think about working safely. Some just want be coddled and given some way to avoid any responsibility. Or, they want to be able to sue someone.

Helmets often work. If someone lands the wrong way, nothing will keep their neck from breaking.

Sometimes, you end up like this guy-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Gary_Busey_2007.jpg
  14. Tbone76

Tbone76

I dumped my work bike last summer and ended up with a cracked helmet, broken elbow and a sprained wrist. I've been riding for for over 30 years, and wearing a helmet for the last 20+. I've had a few good spills on the trails I've ridden, and the helmet has saved my skull more than once. I'm a believer, but I also believe that it's an individuals choice whether or not to wear one. That being said, I also believe that it should be an insurance company's choice to deny payment of a claim if someone chooses to not wear one.

To the OP, get your wrist looked at asap. When I had my spill last year they originally thought I broke my scafoid bone in my wrist. If it was broken and didn't heal correctly I would have permanently lost a significant amount of motion in my thumb. Those tiny wrist bones are responsible for allowing a lot of movement in your hand. Glad you aren't a statistic, and good luck!
  15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I went to the doctor first thing in the morning. Nothings seems to be broken, will go for another check next week.

I've had my share of wrist injuries and really don't need another one.:atoz:
  16. Immigrant

Immigrant

Glad you're OK, OP!

Helmets are good for low-to-medium impact on your noggin. Wearing one could be the difference whenit comes to an impact like that; without one, a slight impact may cause you to forget how to do math or tie your shoes.

For high impact collisions, it's debatable how helpful a helmet really is.

Two weeks after I got out of High School, a friend and I were on our motorcycles in a staggered pattern. He was in front. A car turned left in front of him and his motorcycle stuck in the side of the car and stayed upright. My buddy flew over the car, landed, and slid into a curb head first at least 30 yards past the crash. I stepped on his tongue while running to him and nearly fell down. His head was the size of a basketball. His helmet was still strapped to the sissy bar of his motorcycle. He died 16 hours later.

The helmet wouldn't have helped him, unless you think life as a veg in a care center is living.

Edit: Sorry for this poorly composed post. Early.
  17. Tbone76

Tbone76

Good to hear.
  18. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

It seems part of the argument at least implied in the debate about safety equipment is whether it offers perfect protection or results. It doesn't. That certainly doesn't argue for not using it at all if you choose to. It maximizes the chances.
    In a similar issue, I had someone tell me adamantly he wouldn't wear steel toed boots because something heavy enough would tip the steel toe and cut off your toes. Yeah, your toes would come out fine otherwise. :rollno:
  19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Thanks, and this is one of the most horrifying stories I've ever heard. I'm so sorry for your friend.
  20. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Exactly. When I said "wear your helmets", I didn't mean you are immortal from then on. It could make the difference between a vegetable and a human, and people left behind will always ask "what if he had his helmet on" and it will eat them on the inside for the rest of their life.

Again, I believe every one is free to do as they please and the right to be so should be protected. A person should be able to wear a Hello Kitty hat and do a parachuteless sky dive if they like.:p
  21. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I don't know any serious cyclists who don't wear helmets when riding. Wearing a helmet while cycling has saved me from injury on several occasions. I skied for ten years without ever wearing a helmet and I never got hurt. That was when companies didn't make helmets specifically for skiing. Now they do and I wear a helmet whenever I ski. It's just common sense - like wearing a seat belt in a car.