1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The inevitable happened

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aznslappadabass, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I got my 1st ding on my few month old Ray34 (honeyburst). I've gigged with it but in mostly calm settings. Recently I played some pop punk and some original punk rock stuff and my headstock took on the side of an amp, needless to say the amp won...
    I guess it's true, the 1st one is the hardest =)

2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Congrats, and keep rocking!

3. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I guess I figured I could keep this beautiful Honeyburst forever, but maybe if I play enough and it wears down a little more I'll get a custom finish done.

4. pringlw

pringlw

A gigging bass earns those scars over time. Hard won, I say wear it and them with pride.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

This x100.

7. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

Good point, maybe I'll get some cheap beater bass to mod and custom finish then. Who knows but I like your point

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Here's a ding for you.

[​IMG]

:bassist:

Sadly, there's plenty more where that came from.

Chin up! You get used to it after awhile.

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

You popped your cherry! Basses are made to be played, not just sit at home to be played on your lap for the rest of time.

Congrats!

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It still sucks and all those "battle scars" start turning into "lost dollars" at selling time.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Makes you think twice about swinging an 11-string around your head! ;) :D

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    :D

13. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I am definitely glad that I know I won't be selling this bass, even before it was dinged. Jean that is an impressive ding, but personally speaking I believe those are called nicks, just buff that one out =D. Thanks for the support everyone, I definitely will wear this bass, dings and all, with pride. It's my bass and it's my sound (until GAS overwhelms me to grab a p bass lol).

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Try not to worry about it too much. You're probably the only person who'll notice the battle scar anyway.

15. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

If you're that worried about a chip in the finish, you're focusing in the wrong thing.

16. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'd gigged my '95 P-Bass for years before I finally knocked it over on stage one night and gave it a ding on the edge. I was bummed, but it sort of made me stop worrying so much. It sustained a minor ding to the headstock since then, but really it's still in great condition, as is my other main bass, a Lakland Duck Dunn model, which also has one edge ding of unknown origin. Don't sweat it.

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I generally keep my equipment in as good condition as possible, but I am not as bad as I used to be. Minor bumps and scratches don't really bother me anymore (except if it's on the back of the neck). A big chunk like Jean's and I'd be upset.

I would say, don't worry about it too much and enjoy playing the bass. Like you mentioned, if it gets too bad, you could always have it refinished eventually. Those thick poly finishes are designed to take a beating though. It should be able to withstand a lot of abuse before it looks really beat up.

18. thebeerleader

thebeerleader

My basses get, "relic'd" the honest way. I can't believe people would pay to have fake character built into their new bass.

19. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Congratulations! Your life just got easier. The first bass I ever bought brand new caused me to fret for years during gigs and practices like an overprotective parent so I could keep it in pristine condition. Then one day the strap popped off and the bass dropped onto a metal bar, taking with it a huge chip of paint. I was devestated at first, but then I realized I didn't need to worry anymore since life moved on as it always did. I suddenly felt free!

20. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I have to agree 100% with you ih8law (except for your username since that's part of my field of study). I am free of the overprotective fear I had over my bass that I saved up for despite my mounting living expenses and tuition.

21. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    My Corvette is beat to hell, that's what happens when you play instruments live. Things happen. There are like a thousand scratches on the back from my jeans button (not belt buckly, don't wear it on the front during gigs) and on the top there's a great polished looking wear mark above the strings. Cuz I play the hell out of it :)

[​IMG]

But I've never dropped it on stage, neither does it have any nicks or dents anywhere yet. It's just got the played look about it :)