The infamous "bad day"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassMoley, Jan 11, 2014.

1. BassMoley

BassMoley

Today was not a good bass day, at all. Earlier my hands were cold and tight, so I tried to fix em up get em stretched but nothing worked. Whatever go play gta for a few hours, try again, still not happening. Nice hot shower, a little better. But once I finally get my hands moving, total chaos ensues. Nothing I play is any good even though I've played it before plenty of times. Complete trainwreck. But it happens. I was pissed at first but oh well not everyday is a good day. Share a bad day you've had with bass!
  2. M0ses

M0ses

Practice fundamentals. Even if it doesn't get it sorted out, you've at least done something productive.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

We all get bad days from time to time when nothing seems to go right. However, IMO it is best not to dwell for to long on negativity. Accept the bad day for what it is, put it behind you and try to remember the day that you felt as though you were playing at your best. ;)
  4. bdh2991

bdh2991

I used to get to pretty upset when I played bad or even if didn't play as well as I knew I could but I started reading this book called effortless mastery written by a jazz pianist. It talks about how we see music and once you take the pressure off of yourself to play your best, you actually end up playing much better... I'd recommend this book to any musician, it's a great eye opener.
  5. Reddog01

Reddog01

This happens to everyone. I used to play bass trombone in a community band. Every year we would have Frederick Fennel, a very famous band director, come do a clinic with our band. This one particular day, I had a bad case of chapped lips, and I knew that I was going to play my horn for about three hours. I put some Carnex on my lips to help with the chapping. I got to the rehearsal, and realized that the way that the ointment helped was by literally deadening my lips. i had no feeling in my chops for about two hours. Needless to say, my playing was a total wreck. It would be like trying to play the bass with no feeling in your right hand.

Welcome to the club!
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Bass isn't working so you play video games for hours?

How about doing something that doesn't cause repetitive stress on your hands for a few hours?
  7. volerium

volerium

My hands are jacked from work so im Having more bad days than good ones lately. Luckily bass isnt my only passion in life and i can get satisfaction from other things. I feel you. It can really get you down. Just try to take it with a grain of salt. Theres much worse things that can happen!