1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The iOS bass player thread. (Jamup XT, Audiobus, Multitrack DAW and more)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duke21, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    This thread is dedicated to bass players which use iOS device and iOS apps for recording and playing bass in the bedroom or live.
    Example to software and apps we discus:
    In general we discus the following emulation software such as
    Jamup XT, Ampkit, Garage band, Amplitube, GK app.
    But in particular we want to focus on the new possibility which is now offered by Jamup XT with AudioBus, Multitrack DAW Loopy and other software which can be used with AudioBus.
    Also, any discussion about interface and connectivity of iOS devices to bass guitar, mixers, power amps etc is very welcome.
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm in.

Today's rig:
    [​IMG]
    P-bass with flats into the B15 in Jamup-->Loopy.
    I've got a few beats that I've created in DM1, the used Audiopaste to drop them into Loopy.
    [​IMG]
    Then via Audiobus, I'm able to record my effected bass into Loopy. I can record up to 12 loops and bring them in and out of the mix at will.
  3. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

4. Mound of Sound

Mound of Sound Supporting Member

I've subscribed. I haven't done anything with my iPad as far as recording, only because I want to buy the right interface. I hear mixed reviews about all of them. Anyone have any suggestions? I see the JamUp and the Peavey one's get some good reviews. What do you guys use?
  5. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

what app is this????
  6. CntrlScrtnizr

CntrlScrtnizr Supporting Member

7. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

I use the (Apogee) Jam. Whatever you choose, make sure it uses the 30-pin interface and not the headphone jack to input the signal into your iOS device.
  8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Jamup into Loopy.
  9. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    AudioBus is an app which gives us the possibility to be able to use multiple audio apps at the same time.
    The most obvious apps which we might use are

amp and effect emulation:
    Jamup XT by Positive Grid

Multitrack:
    Multitrack DAW

Looper:
    Loopy/ Loopy HD (iPad)

Otherwise there are several interesting apps which support Audiobus such as a Moog app called NLog, a drum machine called FunkBox Drum Machine.
    A complete list is to be found at:
    http://audiob.us/apps/

A short note on Jamup XT. For these who haven't followed what is going on in the iOS world in the last month, you should know:
    Jamup XT by Positive Gris is the best emulation app for us bass players. The tone is fantastic and there is a dedicated bass pack which includes:
    Ampeg SVT Blue Line
    Ampeg B15 1966/1964
    SWR Redhead
    GK RB 800
    Sansamp BDDI

And alos some very cool pedals such as the TurboRat, the MuTron etc.
    Here are some recordings done by the trio Jamup XT - AudioBus - Multitrack DAW where the interface is the Apogee Jam.
    A Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass on

A Squier CV60 P bass

And, a 4003 Ric on

There is also a Jamup bass group on Soundcloud:
    https://soundcloud.com/groups/the-virtual-official-jamup-bass-group
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  10. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    I've used and tried everything I could plug my bass into. Jamup XT is by far the best emulation app today.
    Amplitube was the best of the bunch until a month ago. But then Positive Grid came with a "minor bug fix release" which made their bass pack from usable to wonderful. Now with AudioBus and the Multitrack DAW Jamup XT is definitely the best.
    My ranking of all the emulation apps is as followed:
    1) Jamup XT
    2) Amplitube
    3) Ampkit
    4) Garage Band

The GK app tone is very good, but this app is very limited regarding features.

Regarding an interface. The iRig was my main interface, but the 30pin interface is the best way.
    Today I use Apogee Jam which is I think the simplest/ cheapest 30pin interface. The tone you get form the Apogee is by far better then you get from the iRig or any interface which goes through the headphone socket.
  11. adambomb

adambomb

In and subbed. i will ... keep an eye on the Irig thread . do you guys realize the last post i put on there just now to respond to a topic about the update for 2.8 was #945 that was close to a 2nd parter.........tooooooooo bad... ;)
  12. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Yes, I've seen your post Adam! :)
    I started a new thread but I'm keeping an eye on the iRig as well.
    It will reach part 2... some day next year ;)
  13. adambomb

adambomb

i knew it was about time we were so far off any type of "iRig" talk ...lol
    i thought of doing this already ..... Good Job Guy!!!!
    and with sound clips already i see... :)
  14. adambomb

adambomb

all of these that you are seeing ... Jamup's Peavey's along with the iRig, they are all using the headphone jack as the input... all lack in clarity and definition. because of the crosstalk and filters placed on the mic inputs and headphone outs.
    they are all labeled noisy by 90% of reviewers.
    Nearly all who get one and then want to upgrade to a quieter/more dynamic solution.
    These are all usable and the iRig was my first interface and used it for over a year, live. but when AT allowed for 30 pin compatibility it was a huge improvement in tone and dynamics and little to zero hiss and noise.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=305878&d=1355689327
    I personally go with a 30-pin digital interface. called the ART USB DUAL PRE. It not only has an instrument input but also a microphone input and monitor output and it is a two channel usb interface that can double as a MAc/PC interface. Others on this thread use the apogee JAM, also a 30 pin interface.
    there are many out there so find one that best gives you the most for what you need.
    ....But don't waste you money on the headphone input interface and go straight for a digital 30 pin. you wont be sorry.
  15. BassGen

BassGen Supporting Member

So just to ask re the 30 pin inputs, what about those of us who have an iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini? No 30 pin connector on these. Is there any inputs that use the Lightning connector?
  16. adambomb

adambomb

adapters?
    my usb interface uses the usb to 30 pin Apple Camera Connection Kit adapter
  17. adambomb

adambomb

BTW welcome to all who were obviously watching and reading the iRig thread and have now come "out" :)
  18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    +1.
    I like that each new visitor brings a new way of looking at the iOS device.
    I think what really draws me to using iOS amp sims (other than being able to jam in the living room while the wife watches her crappy reality shows) is the fact that its such a new technology, so there is just so much ground to explore.
    Every time I plug in, I find something new in these apps, whether it be a tone I haven't played with before, or a setting that inspires me to play something I've never played.
  19. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    I use Apogee Jam with iPad mini. You only need the lightning to usb camera adapter.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Here is all what one needs, the iRig interface which works quite well for low gain settings, or "sound card" device, such as the Apogee Jam which is a D/A converter which use the digital docking port.
    On iPad 3and older or iPhone 4S and older one needs the 30pin to USB camera kit.
    On iPad mini, iPod and iPhone 5 one use the lightning to USB camera kit.
    [​IMG]
  20. nick98338

nick98338

I use an iPod Touch 4G, with the Peavey Ampkit Link and the GK app. I just use it for practicing. Works fine for that. I also have the Amplitube app, Peavey app, and JamUp app. Have not found much use for those. For live music, and recording, I use a preamp/DI to adjust tone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.