1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The iOS bass player thread, PART II. (Jamup XT, Audiobus, Multitrack DAW and more)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duke21, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke21

Duke21

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sweet!!! Part 2!! We made it!!

3. Duke21

Duke21

Yap! Think about it we are in part II just like the TC RH750 club which exists for at least a year!!

4. Duke21

Duke21

And the TC RH750 is an emulation amp as well. TC RH750 users could just as well switch to iOS and Jamup as we are not limited to 236/750W!! :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Lol. Good idea. Maybe it'll catch on before part 3!!

I just plugged into the PA for a few, and was extremely irritated by the sound. I changed all my presets last night trying to boost the volume for MTDAW (through the Irig), and today all my presets sound like garbage through the PA!! Ugh.

Can't wait till the Jam gets here. I'm gonna have to redo all of my presets once again, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

7. Duke21

Duke21

But you do get good tone in Jamup? For most it is the most important regarding live performance.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    My tone in Jamup is better than the tone from my "real" amp. I'd use it any day in a live situation.

When the Apogee Jam arrives, I'll GE deleting all of my presets and re-doing them with my new settings, and without all of my "fixes" to compensate for the noisy Irig connector.

Can't wait.

9. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

Been reading along, adding to my app collectiona nd have asked a few clarifying questions through PM's. Here is what would help me (and hopefully others)- can those of you using iOS devices (me: iPhone 4S) list how you connect things?

Seems like a no brainer but I get stuck when my results are (seem?) poor and I get frustrated. Maybe some models would help.

So, me:

iPhone 4s using JamUp to iRig to ART Mic Tube Preamp to Peavey megabass amp.

Thanks.

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    I'm using the same device as you, and have been a "power user" so to speak for the last few months. If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ask.

I've used the Irig connector for quite some time (bought it late 2011), and have gotten some great tones with it, but not without some serious tweaking to work around its limits. It's a very noisy connector, prone to horrible crosstalk that makes multitrack recording impossible.

I used Amplitube for the longest time before becoming frustrated with IK's lack of customer relations and support for bassists. I moved on to Positive Grid's Jamup XT, adding the Bass Expansion Pack and several ala carte pedals.

For guitarists, Jamup XT Pro is the way to go, but for bass players, it's more sensible to get the free version of the app and add the bass stuff. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of guitar-oriented stuff that you might not use. Of course, this worked for me, you may want to purchase everything in the app like Duke21!! He uses a lot of high gain sounds so the guitar models work well for him.

Anyway, I'm waiting for my Apogee Jam to arrive in the mail (just shipped this morning, YAY!!), but like I said, the Irig will do just fine depending on your intended use.

Ask lots of questions, that's what this thread is here for!!

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    You should test your amp connection with both the front panel input, and the effects return to determine which Jamup sounds best through.

I've been running front panel input on my Acoustic B200 combo, but this morning I tried the effects return and really liked the tone of Jamup without my amp's pre coloring it.

12. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Thanks for the attempts to help, guys.

To be clear, my problem is not (just) with the iRig. All my attempts to get useable volume last night were going through the Peavey AmpKit Link (which, I guess because it's powered, sounds better to me than the iRig). I actually bought the AmpKit Link specifically because I couldn't get useable volume out of my physical amp using the iRig and I was hoping the Peavey Link would fix that.

And to respond to a couple of questions from the old thread:

- this low volume problem also happens when I use the Jam tab in JamUp to play the backing track (in addition to using the iOS Music app or the AmpliTube feature for playing a backing track). The volume of the backing track is fine but I can't hear my bass. If I turn the volume of the backing track down to match my bass, then the overall volume from my physical amp is super quiet.

- I do turn my JamUp amp volume up and the slider at the top right up so that the meter on the top right in JamUp just barely nips into the red when I really hammer an Open E.

13. AaronMB

AaronMB

Good idea. It may also be helpful to add this to to the gear list/set up, in our Member Profile?

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    This will sound obvious and stupid, but have you checked the master volume on the side of the device?

It has happened to me.

15. adambomb

adambomb

Blam-O
    Part 2 baby...... sub'd
    1049 posts in the other in less than a month
    incredible
    and only 1000 of those posts were dukes sample clips....:D

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Lol.
    It's funny cuz it's true.
    I'll be having some clips VERY soon. The Jam should be here Tuesday.

17. adambomb

adambomb

the problem is only when you play with a backing track right? in the jam section of Jamup Right or with the learn a song part of AT? What iDevice did you say you were using? an iPod Touch?

18. adambomb

adambomb

just kidding duke i love the clips.
    i may be taking one and layering over it soon.

19. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Mentioned that in my first (very long, I know) post. Yes, iPod Touch volume is all the way up.

And @adambomb: No, it's not just with a backing track. The bass is super quiet, no matter what. I only mentioned the backing track because it comes through loud and clear - so it's not that there's anything wrong with my physical amp, cable, or iPod.

20. nuts-n-bolts

nuts-n-bolts

Just bought an Apogee Jam from reddavid. Can't wait for it to get here so I can fool around with Jamup!

21. BluesMan845

BluesMan845

Sub'd in for the next 1000+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.