1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The iRig

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kosko, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Anyone mess around with one of these things?

[​IMG]

It looks fairly interesting, at least for doing a little jamming on the couch while watching a movie or something. :smug:
  2. mozarwasagenius

mozarwasagenius Supporting Member

I'm interested as well

It seems more guitar oriented than bass though
  3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Don't have the link handy, but it's been established that the 3GS has a substantial low end rolloff @ the mic input. I'm looking at line inputs through the dock.
  4. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    Works very nice and simple with both Amplitube and Ampkit.
  5. benjaminmikiten

benjaminmikiten

I happen to be playing with it right now! AmpKit and Amplitude are both compatible, I like AmpKit more—more customization, I think. As far as the iRig, it's exactly that, it's for jamming on the couch. You don't get as satisfying a punch as I'd like but I am wearing headphones, and it is just a $40 iPhone toy. Otherwise it's pretty neat! I'm a fan.
  6. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

I just got one for Christmas. Pretty cool toy. I wouldn't consider the sound quality great, but it works. I wanted it for practicing cover songs for my band. My two biggest complaints with Amplitube are excessive noise and having to import songs over wifi to my iPod into Amplitube when they're already on it. Solved both problems by using iShred. Again, sound quality's not great, but it works for practice. Less background noise, and it can access the iTunes library on my iPod touch.
  7. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

I wonder if this would work with a Petersen IPhone 1/4 to 1/8th connector cable?

I have one...I'll give it a shot tommorow.
  8. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

The Petersen connector lets you plug your bass into the headphone jack of your iPhone/Pod/Pad but then you can't plug your headphones in to hear it. The iRig lets you plug both your bass and headphones in at the same time.
  9. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

Duh....your right!
  10. chalie

chalie

I got it a while ago and I think it is better than my bass Pandora in terms of sound. The ultra low bass doesn't clips as on Pandora and the pitching and loop is fine too.

I wonder if you get a full version of AmpliTude software would we as a bassist get anything add on that from what you pay.
  11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I got one thinking I could use it as performance tool,...I was disappointed with that but impressed at how well it works as a trainer/headphone amp. It definitely inspired me to play my bass more,...stick it in your back pocket and walk around the house jamming on your bass.

The full Amplitube comes with mostly guitar amp models and one SVT model. I had a $25 iTunes credit so I went ahead and bought the full version plus a model of the Fender Blender,...it's cool but the included FX models are a little plain. I'll have to check out ampkit.
  12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It's cool, but a bit of a ripoff. $40 for what's essentially two jacks wired to a trs plug. I sort of assumed the $40 meant it would come with the full version of amplitube, which it does not. You have to download the free version, then pay another $5 for the bass amp model, and another $3 a pop for any effects, including the compressor, which I find to be essential to get a decent level without distortion.

I could have soldered together the same thing for about $6 in parts. Oh well, too late now.
  13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Yeah I was feeling that way too but I had a gift card to best buy and no desire to own anything else they had there.
  14. chalie

chalie

Well,
    Now I understand so I will never get the full version as it meant for guitarists.
    Thankx for information
  15. Ifriff

Ifriff

I have the i-rig. I love it for guitar. For bass it seems i need to spend more to get what im looking for. I purchased the four track. I wanted to add the bass amp and realized i wanted other things too. Theres an amplitube app for $20 that includes a lot of what i wanted to try. Cheaper than adding everything I want separately. Well I had to purchase the four track again. Its a separate app. Thats a dirty trick. I then tried some of the effects on bass. The phaser is kool. I would like to use the filter, the octave. These suck for bass. I think I'd like to add an EQ. Its not a bass EQ so I dont think it'll work right. I don't want to keep waisting money searching for my tone. Already doin that on my real rig. So i've lost confidence on the i rig with bass. But it is fun just playing on the couch in front of the TV. Just cant do any tweeking to the degree i would like to. Very happy using it with guitar though. Real easy and quick for recording ideas and e mailing to your band mates.
  16. jblock

jblock

They just aren't that good for bass, maybe passable for headphones but barely. I'd find them much more usable if you could just turn off the amp sims and be able to use just the effects but that seems like too much to ask as I know lots of folks have requested such a "feature" from both.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    anyone use their phone for phone calls?
  18. Von Felgenhauer

Von Felgenhauer

LoL that's crazy talk sir! Angry Birds and Stopid Zombies all day for me
  19. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

Found the AmpKit Link by Peavy to have better quality sound than the iRig. Unlike the iRig, it's powered (via batteries) rather than passive. Makes a difference. PLUS, it's cheaper by $10.

Should be more bass-orienting products and options coming out by all the manufacturers soon.
  20. Col E Loc

Col E Loc

I Used The iRig as my tuner on Tour, and as a practice tool in the van. Don't waste your time buying the App, not worth it with bass.