1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The "Jaco Effect"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by oniman7, Jan 31, 2013.

1. oniman7

oniman7

When being introduced to musicians (particularly those older than me) I've found something strange. If I I'm talking about my influences and happen to say that I've done some study on Weather Report "Yeah, I'm influenced by bands like Pink Floyd, Tool, Dream Theater, etc. and I've done a little study of bands like Weather Report." I'll hear from other people later that say "Well, he said if you've heard of Jaco, you're obviously pretty serious about the bass."

All this without any in-depth discussion or them ever hearing me play.

Anyone else notice this?

2. ma4rk

ma4rk

Yes!
    Last time it happened the guy I was talking to then went on about how he saw him in Europe 30 years ago & how he did a 30 min bass solo but kept adjusting his amp throughout. Then they cut the power to the stage so he'd stop.

3. micgtr71

micgtr71

I remember hearing that there was before Jaco bass and after Jaco bass. I remember when I first heard his solo album...from a guy who actually employed him in the early 70s. I was blown away. Then I heard Weather Report. I don't Like them. Never could warm up to it. Bass players would tell me that it was sacrilege to say I didn't like it. I remember listening to Jaco's solo with the chorus pedal. I do not like chorus on bass. Again, sacrilege.

Give me his first solo album. Invitation. Word of Mouth. I still don't like Weather Report. Zawinul and Shorter with Miles, wonderful. Weather Report...well,...

4. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

So, if I've heard about Carl Sagan, then I'm "obviously pretty serious about" astrophysics?

:eyebrow: :confused:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I'm sorry. Who is this Jaco you speak of?

Cool story. Quick as possible.

Steve Bailey told this story at Victor Wooten's bass camp.
    Steve and Jaco jamming in Jaco's apartment. Jaco on drums, Steve on bass. Jaco without skipping a beat yells "Teen Town!" and keeps playing. Steve just looks confused. Jaco again yells "TEEN TOWN!" Steve is just staring like a deer in the headlights. Jaco stops playing and yells "Play Teen Town dude!" Steve says "I don't know how to tell you this man, but I don't know any of your songs." Jaco comes out from behind the drums a hugs Steve and says "That's why I like you man. You're not out there trying to be me."

Even Jaco didn't want everybody to play like him.

7. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

That's an amusing story, I would posit that 99.99% of bass players who have "heard of Jaco" can't play like him.

8. oniman7

oniman7

A better example would be if I understand the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle then I'm pretty serious about chemistry, but yes. People just make the syllogism on their own. It's very weird.

9. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Nope, but a lot of them "try" to.

10. oniman7

oniman7

I don't but I guess I realized mentioning it had that effect early on, so I've tested it out a lot since then.

11. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Contrarily, if you haven't heard of him, or don't like him, you must not be very serious about bass... Another thing I don't get. The man had chops of a god, no denying that, but it just didn't do it for me. I can still respect mad skill in music I don't like though.

12. tayal01

tayal01

I was the same about WR until Zawinul passed away a few years ago and they played Birdland and Barbary Coast on the radio. I suddenly realised what a treasure trove of Jaco awesomeness I'd been missing out on. Now I have all their albums and I listen to them all the time. I now appreciate Zawinul for the gifted harmonic and melodic genius that he was. I was too young and/or stupid to recognise it at the time.

13. Einherjar

Einherjar

+1. I listen to his stuff to try and figure out how he's doing it without looking it up. And I enjoy that. Most of the songs don't do anything for me emotionally though. Same way I feel about Tool. I respect them as artists and musicians but by the time I'm on track five of their album I just want to tear my hair out cause it all sounds the same.

14. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

Hey guys, you know afew years back those 'shred series' videos were pretty popular on youtube? Like, if you typed in 'coldplay shreds'. If will show the band's music being dubbed over with the band playing random notes etc.

One day, I decided to check out the 'Jaco shreds' video. The funny thing was, I couldnt really tell if it was real or if it was dubbed over with the intention of humour. : XXX

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Like him, learn him, or not, Jaco changed the game for everyone who played EB. That's a rare thing, hence the effect.

16. cnltb

cnltb

But why then does the same not happen when mentioning jamerson?

17. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Speaking of Jaco. This just came up in my youtube feed. Jonas Hellborg playing around with Jaco's bass at NAMM

18. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I actually walked by the Warwick booth while this was happening. Had no idea it was the actual bass of doom tho.

19. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Weather Report was the greatest of the fusion groups, the writing skill of both Zawinul and Shorter was amazing, in addition to them both being legendary jazz players. Add Jaco to the mix and you've got three unbelievable jazz gods playing incredibly tuneful music.

20. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

:rollno: ...poor Miroslav and Alphonso. There was great bass playing in Weather Report prior to Jaco and with Zawinal Syndicate after Jaco. Linley Marthe was doing more than just trying to copy Jaco.

!

21. nightingale

nightingale

Hmm.. I've heard of him, listened to him, and watched old tapes of him playing, but I don't like the music he plays therefore I don't try to "be like Jaco".